Dead deer

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by bassman00, Sep 8, 2020.

1. bassman00

bassman00

So on roughly 400 acres we have found 8 (that we know of) dead deer so far. All have been does that appear healthy and 1.5-3.5 years old. No wounds from poachers or abrasions from being hit by a car. My neighbor called the DNR biologist and they have no interest. This is in Allegan country. Very strange. Has anyone else noticed anything like this.

Sparky23 likes this.
  2. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

I'd guess EHD, would think they would look sick though.
    Maybe poisoned?? Hope not

FREEPOP likes this.

3. sniper

sniper

Were they found near water??
    Odd they are all does.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

4. Dish7

Dish7

After looking at my pond yesterday, which is now a mud flat, I will not be surprised if EHD shows up. We did get a good rain last night through this morning.
    Usually five feet of water. Now you can see raccoon tracks.
    20200908_213514.jpg

Sparky23 likes this.
  5. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Were all of the deer a stinky mess ?

L & O

6. Bucman

Bucman

A friend showed me a pic of a buck in his pond near Ravenna. Pretty sure it had EHD.

7. HUBBHUNTER

HUBBHUNTER

My area has been dumped on the last couple days so that helps but when we had the big die off in 2012 or 13? it started in July so even if we lose a few it wont be as bad.

Hate to see any die though.

jiggin is livin and Ieatshrooms like this.
  8. bassman00

bassman00

The strange thing is all deer appeared healthy. We have found them “assuming” relatively soon. Really no rhyme or reason on location some by the swamp and a couple in the yard. I really hope it’s not something malicious like poison. I think it’s strange though that the DNR has no interest in this though, although I don’t have any confidence in them anyway.

jiggin is livin and Wild Thing like this.
  9. mjh4

mjh4

Damn, sure sounds like EHD. We had it real bad in Van buren county in 2010 wiped out a ton of deer. Any creek or pond on our property was surrounded by dead deer. It took about 5 years just to get half the local deer herd back. We figured it killed approximately 70% of the deer herd in the area. EHD wipes out a lot of deer real quick.

10. Sparky23

Sparky23

There has been some definite ehd outbreaks in some areas. I have received multiple calls and pictures from buddies. I have gotten multiple calls from one area for my business all near water. Dnr did not want anything to do with it.

Attached Files:

ARROWPORT, Dish7 and Wild Thing like this.
  11. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

Pfft, that's nothing compared to wolves, winter snow kills, etc.

I noticed the creek behind the house is about 2 foot lower than normal . That was after we got 2 inches of rain, two days earlier.

textox and Dish7 like this.
  12. bassman00

bassman00

So an update. After finding 16 deer in the last two months and the stench that surrounds the swamp the DNR biologists finally came out. Because nothing was fresh enough for them to do an organ test they still said it’s EHD but if we find a fresh deer to let them know immediately. Definitely going to put a hurt on the herd.

DanSS26, Sparky23, ARROWPORT and 2 others like this.
  13. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

14. mjh4

mjh4

That's a bummer, especially when you have that stench of death coming from all directions in the woods. There is no mistaking that smell.

15. Go Lions!!!!

Go Lions!!!!

Lots of reports of dead deer being found in Allegan County. Most suspect EHD, but very likely many of them are from EEE (Mosquitos). One EEE deer was confirmed by Hilliards/north central Allegan County. It didn't get a lot of attention last year, but we found 15-20 dead deer on our farm in Cass County last year that were certainly EEE. We also got hit hard by EHD in 2010 and almost all deer were found in or by water. The EEE deer were just found in thick brushy areas. Whatever the cause...it is very sad. I think they are up to 30 reported dead horses from EEE now. If it's killing horses, you better believe it's killing a bunch of deer that aren't as easily found. Just a heads up.