Dead Deer per Acre?

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by wolfgang510, May 16, 2018 at 11:45 AM.

1. wolfgang510

wolfgang510

How many have you found dead per acre this winter and spring? While scouting, mushroom hunting etc. on the parcels I have access I have found 1 dead deer for every 25 acres - Southern Michigan.

2. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

Thus far 2 on 35 acres. I'm not far from Lansing either.

3. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Zero, 240 acres in Chippewa county but deer migrate away from here for the winter.

4. HUBBHUNTER

HUBBHUNTER

0 on 135 acres although I have not walked every inch of it. Just a few shed antler searches.

5. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer

0 on 30 downstate but parts of one on 30 in the UP .Did not do any searching on state land though .

6. wildthing

wildthing

0 for 160 acres here. I did find a jaw bone from a 2 1/2 year old. Also found the remains of a 4 year old buck (minus the head) that was hit by a car. It was a nice buck we had on camera last year and a neighbor lady hit it only a few days prior to the rifle opener. I was told that her son came back and cut the head off of it.

7. How did you age it with no head?

8. wildthing

wildthing

9. Pinefarm2015

Pinefarm2015

None that appeared to be true Winter kill. But when setting up turkey blinds, there were 3 freshly killed fawns, I’m guessing by coyotes.

They all occurred in April. All 3 were in openings. I had been up the week before, prepping blinds and when I came back, the freshly tore up fawns were in the openings I had just been in.

Just prior to that, I had seen a pair of coyotes harassing deer in the big Ag fields across the road.

I assume in their weakened state, small fawns are easy pickings for a couple coyotes.

I found 3 without even looking. Given all the deer that hit the corn across the road all winter, I usually find 5-10 fawns each spring. Given this long winter, I bet there’s at least that many.

10. wolfgang510

wolfgang510

I was thinking the same thing. 3 of mine were smaller deer, but not so small that they are obviously fawns. I should have tried to find the jaw bones to see if they were 2017 fawns. I think the yotes are doing well.

11. Pinefarm2015

Pinefarm2015

Look at the hooves and legs. What was left of the deer I found appeared to be fawns on the very small side.

12. sniper

sniper

I've found 2 on 154 acres...One was a yearling doe and then this 3 yr old buck...
    30 yds from a road so just assuming he got pick off by an auto... IMAG2224.jpg

Sent from my LG-H871 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

13. cast and tug

cast and tug

Zero on 130 acres, haven't found one in the off season in 3yrs.

sniper likes this.
  14. bowhunter1

bowhunter1

Zero on 120 acres. Only turkey hunted 5 times and didn't cover the entire 120!

15. hear fishie fishie

hear fishie fishie

5 on 700 acres in Montmorency county.
    All were doe fawns and appeared to have succumbed to the late spring snowfall judging from the condition of the remains.
    Believe most if not all were orphaned from late season [December] doe harvesting as all were found near by to areas where does had been harvested.
    Fawns didn't have time to join up with other does as most older does leave the property for the winter months due to a lack of suitable winter browse due to over browsing from too high a deer population for the past several years.
    There may be more as haven't timber cruises much due to tree planting and Turkey hunting.
    Mushrooming is just starting and will be covering more ground in next week or so depending upon suitable mushrooming conditions.
    Deer like the morels too.
    Hear Fishie Fishie