Darwin award at the range today

Discussion in 'Concealed Carry Weapons' started by Gil Martin, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Gil Martin

Gil Martin

I was working as a RSO this morning and checked on a few members who were using the ranges. One fellow was chatting with me about reloading and said his friend reloads handgun rounds on a progressive press for him, but there have been problems. Seems the friend reloaded some .38 Special rounds for him that ruined his S&W Model 60 revolver. The revolver blowup occurred a few months ago, he was not injured and some parts of the S&W have never been found.

The fellow said he was recently given a few hundred .45 ACP reloads by the same friend and was fearful of shooting them. I agreed that he should be cautious and that I probably would not shoot the reloads. The member then shot about 150 rounds on the pistol range using a Glock Model 21. The next round severely damaged the Glock, blew out the magazine, the magazine release, bulged the frame and jammed the slide. The shooter was not injured and no one else was on the pistol range at the time. The Glock was now a paperweight. He called his friend and reported the incident with the reloads and left the range.

I completed an incident report and would give the shooter the Darwin award. All the best...
    Gil

Topshelf, Jumbo and knu2xs like this.
  2. Tilden Hunter

Tilden Hunter

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

midwestfisherman and Jumbo like this.

3. Perferator

Perferator

Glad to hear the shooter is ok. Count your body parts, live and learn. What his friend failed to recognize is step 1 in handloading, work up the rounds and step 2 is use those rounds ONLY in the gun the rounds were worked up in. That could have been much worse.

4. Quack Addict

Quack Addict

Bah, Glocks are idiot proof. The really good kabooms come with bottleneck rifle reloads. And muzzleloaders.

I kinda miss going to William's range, when I lived closer. Almost always saw something stupid happen while I was there. My favorite was seeing ramrods get launched downrange.

5. Perferator

Perferator

I’ve always wanted to see a ML rod go downrange. But a Glock coming apart would come close.

6. december1979

december1979

I'm sure that guy's "friend" bought two new guns for him to replace two that were ruined....

7. Quack Addict

Quack Addict

Before I joined a club, I use to shoot at Williams at least once a month. Tried to go on off days to avoid the crowds. One day I was in the scope readying for a shot and it looked like a rabbit went running across the range through my field of view. Took my shot and heard a bit of commotion off to my left. Looked down and a dude had seriously scoped himself, bleeding from under his eye and bridge of his nose, thanks to the added recoil of launching his ramrod.

The ramgrmaster had accumulated a pretty substantial pile of metal spaghetti, that was fired ramrods. Wish I'd taken a picture of that, LOL.

8. Perferator

Perferator

Hate it when that happens. :lol:

9. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

This is why I don't shoot reloads from someone else.

Gil Martin likes this.
  10. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

You might want to see it but you certainly do not want to live it. I did the ramrod thing ONCE when in too much of a hurry to sight in my ML at camp and then get on to another project. I have never felt anything near the recoil in all my life. Fortunately, after my head cleared, I determined the ML was still intact and I only had a very slight scope eye. The ramrod was not as lucky. I found most of the pieces near my target 40some yards away. The metal end had gone completely through the 5/8" - 1/2" plywood I had stapled the target to and the fiberglass apparently broke into pieces upon impact.

When I ordered a new rod from CVA the gentleman I talked to said my mishap was all too common and from the stories he related I think I am quite lucky to have escaped with only a little cut. FM

Quack Addict and Perferator like this.
  11. Topshelf

Topshelf

Reloading is not for idiots. When I was reloading heavily during the Obama era of over priced non existent ammo, my ocd came in handy.
    I measured every load with a caliper, checked every powder drop etc etc.
    I didn’t want to be that guy and I like my fingers and eyes where they are.

12. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

I showed someone I know who faithfully unloaded his EDC every night the bullet setback of the top two rounds in his magazine from repeatedly hitting the feed ramp. I told him to throw the suckers in the trash. He decided to shoot them at the range before changing over to FMJ. You know the rest of the story. One quite dead, very nice (or it was very nice) S&W 3913 I sold him when he started carrying.

13. Wallywarrior

Wallywarrior

Just fill em to the point the bullet sits tight against the powder and all is good. If the crack, probably want to throw them out, but I know a guy who still shoots them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Wallywarrior

Wallywarrior

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. bobberbill

bobberbill

Maybe the next batch of reloads will be OK..

ESOX likes this.