Danger Below the Surface on the DR

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by J Sibert, May 7, 2018.

1. J Sibert

J Sibert

Thought I would throw this out there.

My first spring on the river. Learning my way around. Last week - the hard way.

I would be interested to know - esp from the vets - what the notoriously dangerous areas on the river are for your boat/motor. Not necessarily the floating stuff -important as well - but the permanent stuff.

I’ll start by saying stay away from the south end of the small island straight out from lemp. It goes from 10’ to 5’ to 1’ quick and the bottom is rocks.

Be safe - Jim

Doghouse 5 and LLSSt Clair like this.
  2. chubbychaser1

chubbychaser1

Yea, you need to steer way clear of that southern point of Celeron. Was even worse years ago of course when the water was much lower.

3. mfs686

mfs686

There is also a concrete block out there on the south side of the channel. I've seen more than one boat hit it. Also along the way towards the marina. I was probably over 1/4 mile out form shore in about 6-8 feet of water when I hit a bunch of boulders. Bent shaft and skeg.

South end of Mud Island as well. Seen more than one boat hit stuff shooting across instead of staying in the channel.

LLSSt Clair likes this.
  4. slabstar

slabstar

Yeah you gotta be careful around all the islands! Buddy was a newb and bent one blade on prop cutting across front of grassy coming outta Wyandotte couple years ago.

jumbojake likes this.
  5. sureshot006

sureshot006

Ya if you look on Google satellite view you'll see a submerged wall!

Uncle Boopoo and J Sibert like this.
  6. joe dirt

joe dirt

Here’s a good one. Not sure how many know of this one. North west side of celeron on the 6’ flat in between the channel that runs the west side of celeron and the channel that runs on the north side of celeron there is a submerged log. It’s big. On a hard east wind you can see a part of it sticking above the surface. There’s also another one I’ve seen twice when the wind was blowing the right way to expose it. This one was just east of APB on that flat maybe 5-8’ of water.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

LLSSt Clair likes this.
  7. joe dirt

joe dirt

8. Fishndude

Fishndude

The mostly submerged wall that separates Elizabeth Park from the Detroit River, proper. I can't tell you how many boats I've seen trying to push off those rocks with an oar. A LOT!!

9. fishindad

fishindad

i'm one of those you saw! Lesson learned, lol.

10. sureshot006

sureshot006

Yikes!! Used to be really obvious. Haven't launched at EP in a while though.

11. Jon Bondy

Jon Bondy Sponsor

Look up Mamajuda. I've seen several boats run right up on the rocks.

sureshot006, LLSSt Clair and J Sibert like this.
  12. J Sibert

J Sibert

13. 50incher

50incher

Yeap, MJ needs a hazardous area sign....ever since they removed the old light tower that fell over....big part too is because it's RIGHT next to the shipping channel and getting just a little to the west of the buoys will get you in big trouble....and guy's are always wide open going thru that area....

I have an older chart, a 1992 NOAA 10th edition of the rivers and lake St. Clair....and it shows tons of stuff....even the stuff that's been washed away and there's a lot of it....I already know it pretty good, but if I'm venturing into unfamiliar water, I'll look at it the night before I even go, lol....

I heard "they" were going to stop printing paper charts ??....it would be a shame if they did, imo....find an old chart book, it's good stuff....cheers....

14. Divers Down

Divers Down

It’s Spring dead heads that scare me plus Ya never know what stuff gets throw in our waterways, ya gotta be alert behind the wheel.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
    Uncle Boopoo and Sharkbait11 like this.