Dandelion wine??

Discussion in 'Michigan Micro Brewery forum' started by Duckman1, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Duckman1

Duckman1

Anyone ever make any before? Any tips or tricks for a good end product? Thanks.

2. Aaronjeep2

Aaronjeep2

I looked it up sounds pretty good.

3. Waif

Waif

As a kid I made 25 cents for each full grocery bag. Big money then...
    A batch I made a few years ago had a " whang" to it.

First ,be sure the soil is not holding fertilizer or poison,or near a road!
    Pick opened heads in full sun.
    Removing all green parts reduces a bitter aspect.

Checking my wine log shows..5/13/2011.
    2 quarts of flowers per one gallon.
    Poured a gallon of boiling water over them in brew bucket and steeped 2 days. (Stirred once a day.)
    Then back to boiler with two tangerine peels.(that white stuff on peels is not preferred for me to brew, but guess how much I worried?) A ten minute boil then strained onto 2 lbs of sugar in brew bucket.

After cooling , added juice from tangerines , 1t of yeast nutrient (I use it in some country wines) 1/4 t of Lavin D47 (just one type wine yeast ,wine yeasts offering a higher alcohol level before yeast is overwhelmed by it , but then can create a too "dry" wine without a way to sweeten. One can sweeten a poured glass though if they wanted ,or explore more complex methods..)
    The proofed yeast having been pitched into bucket then 1 t of citric acid added (acid is part of a wine..but that's best left to research on your own) then everything mixed well and then transferred to a fermenting jar and an airlock added.
    9 days later a cup of strong tea was added (tannin another characteristic of a wine to research with acid.. sugar can be inverted too but does not have to be.)

Racked ( siphoned into another clean jar leaving sediment in original fermenting jar) on 6-1-11.
    Bottled on 7/1/11. Sample a little "hot" before aging. Being closer to a white wine , six months would be aged enough.
    No idea how long it will keep, but there may be a bottle in the basement still.
    A red does well usually aging a looong time without a loss of quality , but whites not so much.

Many recipes exist.
    Start with a simple one. Sterile tools and jars/jugs/carboys ect. and be patient.
    Keep it fun.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    FishMichv2 likes this.
  4. Duckman1

Duckman1

Thanks Waif. Yep all dandelions came from a field with no chemicals. Sounds pretty close to what I have planned. Hopefully it is worth the effort. Picking the petals off of the heads was quite the chore.

Waif likes this.
  5. Waif

Waif

Part of the " whang" taste I had may have been from not seperating the petals from the heads.

6. Zkovach1175

Zkovach1175

I've tried it and definitely didn't care for it.

7. alex-v

alex-v

Loretta made a couple of gallons back in the mid-70s. It was OK. Now with age comes a maturity in taste buds and I have the feeling that I would appreciate it more if she were to do it again.
    ///