Dalton talked about Pheasant Stamp

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by Hackman, Oct 4, 2020.

1. FNC

FNC

Land acquisition and habitat management for public hunting has many benefits beyond only pheasants and pheasant hunting. Green space preservation, pollinators, all sorts of wildlife, air/water/soil quality, etc. With so many benefits I am sure the general population could get behind supporting this (as in Minnesota). Partnerships work as well to generate funding for a common cause (Ducks Unlimited, PF, QF, etc.). At the risk of sounding overly optimistic perhaps non- or anti-hunters might support something like this if pitched as wildlife/pollinator habitat. I do think what they've done in Minnesota could work well here.

Josh R and sportsman98 like this.
  2. Stand By

Stand By

Agreed. And one side effect might be tripping over grouse and woodcock, while looking for that pheasant. Also, if the stamp keeps enough hunters content to stay with those stocked sights and to occupied for grouse, woodcock, or wild pheasant, then all the better. Kinda like how golfing helps us fishermen.

3. FNC

FNC

Very true. Back in the 80's (pre-bird dog for me) it wasn't unheard of to shoot a mixed bag (pheasant, grouse, woodcock and even quail) on both public and private land. Good times!

4. Howitzer

Howitzer

Something along those lines was an idea I pitched the MUCC last spring and they like it, I think I even spoke with Bill V from PF to partner up on it and both had a warm reception to the idea, and then Covid hit so many ideas went in the crapper. The problem today is most people are so polarized they cannot put themselves in a position that might benefit something they don't believe in. An example is non-hunters would struggle with anything that they think would benefit hunters and some hunters would be up in arms if there were a dedicated no-hunt preserve using funds they helped generate.

Personally, I think that pollinator habitat and protection are vital to national security to protect the food supply which is why so much money is pumped to and from the farm bills for habitat. My problems that are well known here are certain groups are taking credit for this money that is really federal taxpayer money given to the state.

Now on the topic of the "stamp", the idea is that people will use local state game areas that are near the population areas will be more apt to use the state game area if there are ample opportunities to shoot something, that sounds harsh but that's the cold truth. A release program in Verona would be futile because it is not within an hour of most Michiganders, but the benefit to Verona would be they get the funds from the people purchasing the stamp throughout the state.

One thing I would like to add is while I am not a fan of her Debbie Stabenow has been instrumental in getting the federal grants for habitat improvement, she will not be there forever and the funds as we know it are drying up. What are we going to do next?

Stand By likes this.
  5. Howitzer

Howitzer

Another thing I would like to add is the land acquisition aspect, when looking at these issues you have to look at it from every angle and the state never gets a bargain on the property nor is it always necessary. The state needs to improve on the land they own which is now 4.59 Million acres so there is plenty of lands to improve without blowing money on acquisition.

6. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

All wild birds come from stock that was released at some point. Releasing birds may help repopulate with wild birds in subsequent years.

7. Josh R

Josh R Premium Member

Not without habitat, nope not happening

If the habitat is there the birds will find it

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

8. Gsphunteronpoint1

Gsphunteronpoint1

Y
    You have to release birds at 6 weeks of age just when they’re starting to fly to get any kind of survival rate. Fully matured birds will get annihilated upon release.

9. birdhntr

birdhntr

How much land is suitable for pheasants that is owned by the state.
    Land that is not forest and the southern half of Michigan's lower.
    The lands in lapeer and holly for example have lost their fields.lands I would find pheasant at are now woods.The habitat goes and the pheasant fades away..
    The legacy act is a solid program that is always expanding by land acquisitions and restoration. It has a slow growth but is always gaining ground.a long term solution with benefits way beyond pheasants

10. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

I think some may be shortchanging pheasants regarding their ability to adapt to various habitats. The number of birds on the lower east side of Detroit is astounding. I was at Mt Elliott and E Forest and I could hear no fewer than three cocks crowning at 11:00 in the morning. See birds all day long in the area.

Howitzer likes this.
  11. birdhntr

birdhntr

With pheasants being bred for so long in captivity the genomes have been reduced.According to the thesis's and science I have read.A raised pheasant had a marker of 3 I believe and a wild is 16.Raising domesticated game birds requires medicated feed,water and supplements similar to farm fowl.
    I posted links to this previously in past threads on this topic.The genetics of a pheasant released a 100 years ago was not diluted from China at the time.The eggs are bought from the same producer's in general today.
    A Chinese pheasant,a wiid pheasant,and a domestic pheasant have entirely different genetic characteristics and diversity under a scope.
    The survival rate for domestic is pretty much 0%.I did provide a link showing that F 1 and F 2 (first generation second generation) wild eggs hatched had a success rate for survival in other threads.F3 and f4 was not productive.
    Genetic and behavioural changes arising from the rearing process is a reality and documented.
    Pheasants tend to return to the pens at game farms.Once diluted they are like chickens.Just like chickens they don't have the ability to go back to the wild.Here is one of the many downloads I have saved.Plenty of information on this topic.

Attached Files:

Soignie likes this.
  12. RCA DOGS

RCA DOGS

They only release roosters

anticipation and Soignie like this.
  13. Howitzer

Howitzer

That will change, hen's were taken out of the idea for cost and we did not want to get people conditioned on released hens are OK to shoot.

14. Howitzer

Howitzer

All habitat and no birds is a folly, all birds and no habitat is a canned hunt. There needs to be both...and don't forget both of those need hunters.

Zeboy likes this.
  15. Stand By

Stand By

In the 90's, I believe I read the state had started giving a subsidy to farmers to continue to farm, rather than sell off their land as real estate prices were rising? Not sure if that's still in play? Otherwise, maybe the state could by some farmland as well. Lease it back for farm use, with added guidelines of leaving areas of cover? The lease price could reflect the lower production coming out of the acreage. I'm sure there are plenty of farmers that would like to add to their tillage without adding to their property taxes. Also, regarding Howitzer mentioning the need for pollinators, throw some honey bee language I to these acquisitions. Last I heard, the bee population was still down?

Sidenote- Hey Howitzer. Use to be a Forward Observer, myself. 13F