CWD the end of deer hunting in Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Wildlife Diseases' started by Groundsize, May 14, 2018.

1. Waif

Waif

Ohh, going on twenty years later ....I'm willing to bet there are still guys studying particular older bucks for the coming seasons in Wisconsin.

I can recall the lower part of the lower when deer were not in high numbers and many hunters went North to hunt. Heck ,I hunted shotgun only when I had to. Who was crazy enough to hunt around homes and in fields ,and near roads ....With the off chance of seeing a deer?

There were some eye poppin serious linebacker bucks though when deer and hunters were fewer. Believe it or not.
    An expanding but limited herd in prime (to them) habitat not over taxed by browsing produced a different result than farther Norths clime and winter limitations... and toll on a body.

2. Direwolfe

Direwolfe

Hunting is hardly at an end in WI. Its however clear WDNR has abdicated its role in trying to manage the disease. In no small part because that's what hunters wanted. Wisconsin will serve as a test case of what course the disease runs in an untreated subject.

3. Dish7

Dish7

This "highly contagious" thing has always bothered me. Reindeer live together in herds. The very reason the Norwegian government was able to put down that many animals. Yet 18 positives out of 2027 tested? What wasn't mentioned and maybe is still unknown was the effectiveness of the Norwegian response.

4. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

Wisconsin is a deer hunters paradise!!! 50-60% of the buck harvest is 1.5 year olds & there's still plenty of older bucks for the Big Antler hunters. Enough that WI is always a top state for Boone & Crockett entries. WI is arguably the best state for deer hunting, absolutely yes if u r worried about cwd u will have to get your deer tested (probably should in MI too???) Id rather hunt a large deer herd with cwd than a small deer herd with cwd. Wonder how Jeff Sturgis likes WI??? wpid-IMG_0903-1.jpg jeff_sturgis_diego.jpg

stickbow shooter likes this.
  5. Cork Dust

Cork Dust

stickbow shooter likes this.