CWD Testing Goals for 2019

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Wild Thing, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

Attended the Western U.P. C.A.C. meeting yesterday. Loooooong meeting covering much, much more than deer hunting but one thing I did learn from Karen Sexton - MDNR Biologist - Escanaba.....

CWD Testing goal for the U.P. Core Surveillance zone for 2019 is 2,654 vs 600 for 2018.

CWD Testing goal for the Expanded Surveillance zone for 2019 is 600 vs 300 for 2018.

2. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

Hopefully they can meet there goal. Hopefully no new positives will be found. Fingers crossed.

3. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

Karen Sexton stated that achieving these goals would give them a better handle on prevalence rates. I believe she mentioned that these goals would give them a 95% confidence factor of determining a prevalence rate of 0.5% vs 0.1% in the Core Zone.

I'm not sure hunters can submit that many animals for testing but hopefully they can. I know that hunters didn't submit near that many last year. She didn't say what actions might be taken if these goals were not reached....she just said that these are the goals for this year??

buckhunter14 likes this.
  4. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

There was a discussion about this ,but I can't remember exactly where. That's the first thing I thought was will there be enough taken and checked to meet this goal.

5. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

If they do what they did in Montcalm Co. last year, they will get plenty of heads turned in for testing.
    Make it easy/convenient by having a drop box at several of the larger processors and then have a few drop boxes spread out around the area for those who process their own deer.
    If you make a hunter drive out of their way 20 miles for a drop box, the number of heads submitted will be not much better than last year. I'm confident that the DNR will do in the UP Core Area what they did in the LP Core Area last year and get lots of heads for testing.

2019 DNR Testing Goals & Results Update added today to the Whitetail Disease Forum.
    Jackson Co. with the early lead.

L & O