CWD Testing - FYI

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by motdean, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

Im sure some of the qdma members would be happy if the bait ban was lifted.

feedinggrounds likes this.
  2. feedinggrounds

feedinggrounds

No, I would not pay $100 to test a deer. Just a bad deal all the way around.

3. feedinggrounds

feedinggrounds

It wouldn't affect me, as deer hunting at that point for me would just be fond memories. My veggie garden deer fence would get a $150 upgrade.

4. Macs13

Macs13

Hey, if you need some help clearing out some of those deer...........

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

5. Justsayin

Justsayin

Just a couple notes...
    It takes years, even decades, to validate and gain approval for new USDA/APHIS official testing methods. Don't hold your breath on the field test... There has been a live test used in research for 20 years... still not fully adopted as an approved test.

Second, the DNR has received multiple millions toward CWD from State and Federal funding... the issue is quite likely not a question of funding but rather choices. If they are telling everyone it will cost $100 to test, they are setting up a profit center. The current ELISA test was under contract for $25 per and incineration at a set rate/lb for the waste.

in the interest of public health, providing free testing and encouraging everyone to test, regardless of arbitrary test quotas, would be the responsible, ethical, absolute right thing to do. That doesn't appear to be top of mind with current leadership though...

6. Justsayin

Justsayin

Something else struck me on this... seems the response to legislative action has been to double down on baiting & feeding enforcement... Wonder how much additional funding has been directed toward aerial surveillance and baiting tickets out of spite? Who do you think made the call to have check stations in CWD core and management areas discourage CWD testing?

motdean likes this.
  7. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Maybe someone knows from DNR records how much aerial surveillance for baiting actually occurs. Probably not a lot.
    I don't think spotting carrots from the sky would be easy if they were spread out and in a grassy area. Beets would be darn near impossible to spot. I could throw beets in my turnips right now and I don't think you could tell a beet from a turnip from a low fly helicopter.
    We all have seen the photos of the mega-bait spreads that were spotted and photographed from the air, so yes aerial surveillance can be successful for someone who goes w-a-y over the top baiting.

L & O

kisherfisher and motdean like this.
  8. sniper

sniper

Their out hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

9. motdean

motdean

Yeah, it seems like 2019 is shaping up to be an Us vs. Them mentality with the DNR law enforcement.

The problem comes in when most of the people that are getting fly over's as well as getting pulled over on the highway are law abiding to the fullest.

In the 90's when I would go up to visit my wife's family, they would cuss and spit when someone mentioned the "DNR". Seems like we might be headed back to those times, albeit on a larger scale.

10. Dish7

Dish7

Yep, don't know how I struggle to make it to a treestand day in, day out. Oh the misery of it all. :rolleyes:

11. Whitetail Freak

Whitetail Freak

I should quit hunting, then I can post on a hunting forum all day, everyday. I am a good typer!

12. sniper

sniper

The time and effort being put into some of these threads is truly remarkable. It makes me wonder if this much consumption is being used outside of the hunting arena.

flinchjerk likes this.
  13. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

And yet you read it

14. sniper

sniper

Unfortunately. I’m skim through just about enough that I don’t pass out.

15. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

“Every man finds his limitations, Mr. Holmes, but at least it cures us of the weakness of self-satisfaction.”
    ― Arthur Conan Doyle