CWD Testing - FYI

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by motdean, Nov 14, 2019.

1. motdean

motdean

I stopped out to the local check station a couple of days ago.

While talking to the folks there, they indicated that there is currently discussion regarding having the people that bring their deer in to have them tested for disease pay for the testing out of pocket.

They indicated that they ran into a deficit last year due to the number of heads that they had tested. (I didn't probe to ask what was meant by this as don't believe that the DNR ran into a deficit, but perhaps the testing department did....)

They also indicated that it was over $100 per test.

It was also suggested that there is progress towards a field test that would be a real blessing for the DNR.

A couple of points:

1. Hopefully the field test shows to be reliable and accurate.
    2. Would you pay $100 per deer to get it tested?....I know that I would especially as I hunt the CWD zone.
    3. My gut feel is that if there is a substantial drop in hunters due to the bait ban, that having hunters pay for their own testing might be the reality next year.

2. jatc

jatc

Charging that fee would be a disaster for deer management. The herd numbers will explode.

My farm is in the core area. This year I will kill at least seven deer, two bucks and at least five does. That would be $700 just in testing out of my pocket. If this fee was to be instituted, I will become a trophy buck only hunter. No does and no bucks I wouldn’t plan on mounting. Probably would only kill one deer per year.

3. motdean

motdean

Can't disagree.

Perhaps they would only test for free in certain areas or cost share with hunters, 75/25 or something of that nature.

4. Whitetail Freak

Whitetail Freak

Will lose more hunters than the baiting ban caused. I know a few that quit just because of cwd.

feedinggrounds likes this.
  5. jatc

jatc

totally agree with this. Baiting has been banned in the core area already and the numbers of hunters lost is staying right around the same percentage as before the bait ban. A large fee like this would stop more guys from hunting, but even more damaging would keep those that continue to hunt from shooting as many deer.

6. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

Or... they'd continue to hunt and shoot but not test. The ones that were concerned about eating CWD contaminated deer would not hunt.

7. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

Bait ban, cwd, maprs in core zone, closed door meetings, license sales down, legislature, senator, u pay for testing, dnrnrcqdma, uncle ted, learn how to hunt!!!

This is a hell of alot funnier than a Jerry Springer show. AWESOME

8. LG1

LG1

i would shoot one deer only. $100 to test? That’s a lot of money to only get an email telling me positive and negative.... maybe if they gave me a discount on future licenses bought or something along those lines it might cross my mind

swampbuck likes this.
  9. stickman1978

stickman1978

I would throw in the towel if I had to pay. I could buy a lot of Chicken for $100.00.

10. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

11. HUBBHUNTER

HUBBHUNTER

Won't change a thing. I'll just donate all the meat.

But guys keep in mind before you ever find out it was positive you'll have already had enough contact with it to catch CWD if it ever becomes transferable to humans...

There's less of a chance of transmission from Eating the meat than what goes into touching, gutting, dragging, hanging, etc.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    sparky18181 likes this.
  12. AntiHuntersLoveMe

AntiHuntersLoveMe Premium Member

Where's all the $$ they got from the federal government?

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

13. MichiFishy

MichiFishy

Is this true? I have never heard this before. I dont wear gloves when i gut, should i be?
    I hunt the core area most often.

14. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

Just a whole lot easier to raise the price of tags to $150 statewide and have all deer tested.

Who'd be against that? :hide:

15. swampbuck

swampbuck

I dont know about funny, but some of us are having fun.....what happened to all the qdm/apr pushers. Would like to hear their thoughts on recent events

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Michigan Sportsman mobile app