Cwd. Testing Age Question

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Skinner 2, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Skinner 2

Skinner 2

Does anyone know how the age is being determined for the cwd testing? How accurate is it???

2. Bob S

Bob S

If it is the same as with TB testing it is done at the Rose Lake facility using tooth wear.

3. Skinner 2

Skinner 2

Well the age and TB results shows up at the same time. Not sure where the testing is done. Is the tooth wear the visual look or where a tooth is pulled and cut?

graybeard likes this.
  4. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

DNR Lab does it by visual look.

5. Skinner 2

Skinner 2

I never followed the aging process via teeth inspection. Is it normally pretty close say plus or minus 1 year?

I ask because I dropped of 4 heads for testing and some of tbe ages are coming at a complete surprise.

Somewhat confused.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  6. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

Lots to unpack here, but glad you're interested in aging.

Tooth replacement is pretty darn accurate. That means a trained inspector should not misjudge a fawn (age 0) or yearling (age 1).

Tooth wear has some inaccuracy, but unless you pay for cementum annuli, it's all you have to go on. The one buck I sent in for cementum annuli returned a result of 3YO, confirming what the DNR check station inspector said (along with several respected members of this site), based on wear.

I agree with what many respected posters have said recently -- there is no age:size correlation for does. Some are small and some are large, but it's not a predictor of age.

If you're talking bucks, then I think you need to gather samples from your own area, gather weight, tooth wear and possibly cementum annuli results and determine what each age class looks like. I personally feel the commonly accepted aging on the hoof definitions are off by one year for the ground I hunt in Livingston Co. That is, the given descriptions on the QDMA poster for a 2YO (body shape and antler size) are actually 3YO in my area. I am sure this is not unique to my experience.

What did you drop off?

7. Bob S

Bob S

what are the ages, and why are they a surprise?

8. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

I used my new jawbone extractor for the first time this weekend.

These are 3 does. Two were 110-115# and one was much smaller. Noticeably smaller. Didn't ever weigh it, so I guess we'll never know (wish we could have now), but I think it would have been 90# max. These are dressed weights.

20190105_091428.jpg

I think they are 5YO, 2YO and 3YO (top to bottom), but I might be a little aggressive with the top one. Just wishful thinking because I have never killed one that old :).

We'll see what the DNR Lab says. Courier should be dropping them tomorrow...

9. Skinner 2

Skinner 2

Ok heres the deer. The bucks were shot after rut. No dressed weights. Clean boneless meat was 57lbs 8pt 54lbs 6 pt. 8pt

Aged at 1.5 yo. For 8pt. 4.5 yo 6pt. Our group figured both at 2.5 20190106_232322.jpg
    20190106_232626.jpg 20181119_173535.jpg 20190106_232757.jpg

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  10. Skinner 2

Skinner 2

The does no dressed weights. But clean boneless meat was 38lbs and 41lbs.
    Doe one aged 2.5 y 20181214_183408.jpg
    Doe 2 aged 8.5 yo 20181228_175003.jpg