CWD: Sent to me from Mary Dettloff public information officer from the DNR

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Steve, Aug 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solohunter

solohunter

I can hear the rotors winding up at grand ledge now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:yikes: using new toys on board choppers they can thermal the heat sources and hunt at night for all deer images in the target areas,,,, but seeing as they have only had one farm infected at this point, I think someone is way out in front with the black choppers idea,,,,,
    But lets start with the baitin ban, about 80% of deer were shot over bait last year,- the baint ban in 452 has reduced the size of the bait piles to much smaller piles and removmed the semi loads of bait/winter feeding that were the main issue. while the deer kill went up and overall number went down, fact is baiting is still the main factor in kiling deer in 452, ask the DNR check stations how many deer heads they check that still have "bait" wedged in the molars???? fact is you idiots need to get a grip on reality and balance out limited baiting -V- population control in Tb and CWD areas and seek a reality check on hunting -v- killing deer. lets look at the DNRs neat way of capturing and collaring deer with the net,,, its done over corn piles,,,,, hmmm,,,,,, lets see how well they do waiting on a trail with no bait LMAO,, it will not happen:xzicon_sm

2. scott kavanaugh

scott kavanaugh

Nice looking out Whit 1. I hope this helps to lend credibility to the things RC has been trying to communicate. Because for the most part he's on point.

The science and history is there, for some reason our dnr/nrc hasn't wanted to research it well enough to make intelligent decisions.

As Michigan hunters we have a responsibility to police our sport. Right now we are on the verge of catostrophic mistakes being made because certain people have their agenda, and they are not going to let the FACTS get in the way.

MS can help the hype or the science. I'm interested to see where all these self proclaimed deer experts around here spouting science are gonna land.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008

3. Whit1

Whit1 Premium Member

Scott, believe me when I say that I've researched other topics brought up on these boards and have found claims/facts made in their behalf to be valid and also ludicrous in their lack of any scienctific data and evidence to support them.

I've found it best, as well as interesting, to dig into some of the statements of "fact" made on these boards and in news articles. Some are indeed true and others are outstandingly incorrect.

4. cadillacjethro

cadillacjethro

What concerns me the most is the fact that Michigan's "Plan" seems to be several years old. I would think (or hope) more is known now about CWD than when this plan was devised. Maybe an annual update of the plan is in order.

5. Whit1

Whit1 Premium Member

Below is another email, in the interest of research only and not to suppport any one side of these issues, that I sent in regard to CWD and WI's experience with it.

First is the email that I sent and second is the response.

Mr. Jones,
    I have a couple of questions for you concerning Chronic Wasting Disease/CWD which is now a topic of discussion here in Michigan on a site called Michigan-Sportsman.com as a part of a thread on CWD which was just found in a penned whitetail deer in Kent County in the Southern Lower Peninsula last week.

CWD was found in WI about six (?) years ago. A member of Michigan-Sportsman. who is from WI stated that CWD was probably in the state at least twenty years before its discovery in deer found in Buffalo County(?). Is this correct? Was the disease in the herd for that long and only discovered six years ago?

Has there been a direct link between CWD transmission and baiting/feeding practices by humans involving whitetail deer?

Thank you for considering this email.

Mr. Whitmore,
    The best answer I can give to your questions is “we don’t know”. It is part of a family of diseases that are poorly understood and difficult to study.

In the fall of 2001, three deer shot in western Dane County (southern Wisconsin) tested positive for CWD. They were not tested because they looked sick or because we thought CWD might be in that area. They were tested randomly, as part of a state-wide surveillance focused on looking for bovine tuberculosis in wild deer; CWD testing was an after-thought added to the program.

We do not know when or how CWD came to Wisconsin, and very few of the people researching the disease are willing to make an official guess. The nature of the disease makes it difficult to accurately measure its distribution. But, given where we know the disease is, and if the initial introduction was small (a single infected deer from who-knows-where), it could easily have taken 20+ years to spread as far as it has…or not. CWD could spread faster than we think, or it could have been introduced at several locations over several years. It’s not likely that we’ll ever know what really happened.

It has not been explicitly documented that CWD has been transmitted through baiting. However, we do know that CWD spreads rapidly in captive deer herds where the animals are in close quarters. And we know that baiting and feeding bring deer much closer together than they would be otherwise.

Those of us involved with managing CWD here were sorry to hear about your recent discovery and we wish you luck.

Dan
    P Daniel F. Jones
    CWD Assistant Biologist
    Wildlife Health Section
    Bureau of Wildlife Health
    Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
    (() phone: (608) 264-6046
    (() mobile: (608) 235-6908
    (() fax: (608) 267-7857
    (+) e-mail: [email protected]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
  6. terry

terry Banned

7. Rancid Crabtree

Rancid Crabtree

Correct whit1. Your question about Buffalo County was the only error. There has not been any CWD in Buffalo County (which is in the North Weat part of the State) CWD has been found in the wild herd in South West and South East part of the State only.

8. terry

terry Banned

Title: Preliminary observations on the experimental transmission of chronic wasting disease (CWD) from elk and white-tailed deer to fallow deer

Authors

Hamir, Amirali
    Kunkle, Robert
    Kunkle, Robert
    Nicholson, Eric
    Miller, Janice - ARS RETIRED
    Hall, S - USDA-APHIS-NVSL
    Schonenbrucher, Holger
    Brunelle, Brian
    Richt, Juergen

Submitted to: Journal of Comparative Pathology
    Publication Type: Peer Reviewed Journal
    Publication Acceptance Date: December 5, 2007
    Publication Date: February 1, 2008
    Citation: Hamir, A.N., Kunkle, R.A., Nicholson, E.M., Miller, J.M., Hall, S.M., Schonenbrucher, H., Brunelle, B.W., Richt, J.A. 2008. Preliminary observations on the experimental transmission of chronic wasting disease (CWD) from elk and white-tailed deer to fallow deer. Journal of Comparative Pathology. 138(2-3):121-130.

Interpretive Summary: To determine the transmissibility of chronic wasting disease (CWD) to fallow deer 13 fawns were inoculated into the brain with CWD suspension from elk or white-tailed deer with CWD. Between 7.6 and 37 months after inoculation, 8 deer were euthanized and were examined by various laboratory tests. Five deer (all euthanized after 7.6 months) were positive for CWD. Four years after the CWD inoculation, the remaining five inoculated deer are alive and apparently healthy. These preliminary findings demonstrate that it is possible to transmit CWD to fallow deer by inoculation into the brain. However, it is not likely that the oral transmission of CWD to fallow deer will result in clinical CWD during the species' normal life span.
    Technical Abstract: To determine the transmissibility of chronic wasting disease (CWD) to fallow deer (Dama dama) and to provide information about clinical course, lesions and suitability of currently used diagnostic procedures for detection of CWD in this species, 13 fawns were inoculated intracerebrally with CWD brain suspension from elk (n = 6) or white-tailed deer (n = 7). Three other fawns were kept as uninfected controls. This communication documents 4 years into the experiment. Three CWD-inoculated deer were euthanized at 7.6 months post inoculation (MPI). None revealed presence of abnormal prion protein (PrP**d) in their tissues. At 24 and 26 MPI one sick deer died and one non-clinical deer was euthanized, respectively. Both animals had a small focal accumulation of PrP**d in their midbrains. Between 29 and 37 MPI, three other deer became sick and were euthanized. All had shown gradual decrease in appetite and some loss of body weight. Microscopic lesions of spongiform encephalopathy were not observed but PrP**d was detected in tissues of the central nervous system by immunohistochemistry, Western blot and by two commercial rapid tests. This study demonstrates that intracerebrally inoculated fallow deer amplified CWD PrP**d from white tailed-deer and elk in absence of SE lesions. Similar observations have also been shown to occur in cattle inoculated with the scrapie and CWD agents; however, PrP**d amplification in fallow deer was minimal in comparison to scrapie- and CWD-affected cattle. Four years after the CWD inoculation, the remaining five inoculated and two control deer are alive and apparently healthy. Although these preliminary findings demonstrate that it is possible to transmit CWD to fallow deer by intracerebral inoculation, past experience with TSE cross-species transmission studies indicate a low probability for CWD to develop following oral transmission to fallow deer in the species┬┐ normal life span.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/publications/publications.htm?seq_no_115=209214

TSS

9. Whit1

Whit1 Premium Member

Ron,
    That's why I put the question mark after "Buffalo County". What county was it?

10. Nick Adams

Nick Adams

;)

-na

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
  11. Tom Morang

Tom Morang

posted on another thread..............tm

12. Rancid Crabtree

Rancid Crabtree

13. Whit1

Whit1 Premium Member

14. Rancid Crabtree

Rancid Crabtree

I do not live in the suberbs of Milwaukee. I am about 30 miles West of there.
    I'm your typical Polish/German Wisconsinite.

15. osage2orange

osage2orange Guest

This baiting thing has always been a joke. It is a shortcut that allows someone who does not spend the time in the woods to shoot a deer. They don't have a clue how to look for deer sign and pick a good stand location. I can't tell you how many times I have set up a stand by a good oak stand only to have some idiot throw 10,000 pounds of beets, carrots, apples, salt licks out and totally ruin the spot. It is a lame excuse for hunting and I am glad it is being stopped. Of course we all know that people will still put bait out. I say if you want to hunt start using fair chase. Baiting is not fair chase it is putting a buffet out. One question for all you people who love to bait and see no harm in it. When you grandpa told you stories about hunting deer did he ever say a dam thing about putting a bait pile out?:dizzy:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.