CWD: Sent to me from Mary Dettloff public information officer from the DNR

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Steve, Aug 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick Adams

Nick Adams

Discount the opinions of any natural resource professionals in the group (what does he know, he's not a deer hunter) and muzzle any input from the scientists on the Technical Guidance Team. What you end up with is not much more than an opinion poll as to what hunters think should be done with respect to CWD.

The Wisconsin CWD-SAG wasn't science. It was pure politics.

-na

2. Rancid Crabtree

Rancid Crabtree

Thats the part you hang your hat on? :lol: Yes, he is a botany professor with really bad ideas about fighting CWD. Despite his awful ideas, we should have respected his position and accepted his plan. :lol: Funny thing is, All the other PHd types and professors also rejected his plan as well. :dizzy::dizzy:

As far as the science team goes, you must not have read what I posted or you have a certain ajenda.:rolleyes::rolleyes: If they did not want to hear what we came up with, they should not have asked for our recommendations. Remember, they walked out on us.

3. Direwolfe

Direwolfe

The only part that made sense with the science was Givnish's disent. As i remarked on the other thread re the report:
    The final report means the status quo. No one wanted their tradition changed. The group agreed to think happy thoughts. No wonder the group told the scientists to buzz off. " We don't need no stinkin facts".
    Hunters have failed almost every test on managing for the good of the herd. This will be no different.

4. Direwolfe

Direwolfe

"As far as the science team goes, you must not have read what I posted or you have a certain ajenda. If they did not want to hear what we came up with, they should not have asked for our recommendations. Remember, they walked out on us."

There's a reason we don't let drivers set the speed limit.

5. Rancid Crabtree

Rancid Crabtree

Lets look back at his plan, shall we?

His plan was to bring in the National Guard and set up a dedicated occupying force that would systematically go from private property to private property without regard to land owner rights and kill every deer. He wanted them to use helicopter gun ships and dogs and poison and snares and nets and every weapon imaginable and even suggested introducing new deer diseases to kill deer (Such as blue tongue) to kill every single deer in the CWD zone and then that occupying force would remain in that area for ten years to ensure no deer were missed and that no outside deer would enter. His plan was a sort of Marshall law. Our team rejected his plan for obvious reasons and he was not pleased.

Yeah .......... Um.......... Great! what does that have to do with anything?:dizzy:

The CWD Advisory Group (like the States Natural Resources Board) Realized that current CWD policy was far worse for deer and deer hunters that CWD itself and that is why our group was formed. I think you disregard the credentials of those on the CWD Advisory Group because they were not employed by the DNR.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
  6. Direwolfe

Direwolfe

Let's see, Givnish is apparently the only one who makes recomendations that comport with the literature to contain outbreaks in free ranging herds, Leopold, Game Management. The sport hunters however can't agree on anything that might limit their sport hunting passtime. (At least 70 mph). The hunters toss out the science and the scientists. ( Better make it 80 mph).Givnish is also a non-hunter, so he must have an agenda. Nothing the hunters agree on will do anything to control the disease but will keep their recreation intact. ( 90 mph seems good). Since all the hunters disagree with the non-hunter, he must be wrong. ( lets err on the high side, 100mph). Good luck explaining that to the next generation. You did however uncover the crossbow industry's conspiracy to use this to legalize their abomination. At least archery deer hunting will die out unsullied by by the Phillistines!(We're all real hunters here, We can all set our own limit!).

7. Rancid Crabtree

Rancid Crabtree

Ah yes Leopold. It was he that said.

It is time for us to learn caution and restraint in our power to eradicate wild things.
    --Aldo Leopold, December 5th, 1944

So you agree with the Givnish plan? Great! Try and sell that in MI when you get a chance.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  8. scott kavanaugh

scott kavanaugh

Dude, you guys needed to send givnish right over here. This guy is brilliant. I suggested something like this a couple years ago on this site.

This is exactly what the DNR, the QDM'rs, and the muslandrs of the world have been looking for. We could use his plan in the Kent area. But then we could modify it slightly and use it everywhere in the state.

Everyone will be allowed to have one deer left on their property. But it can be a really big deer, and you can feed it one apple a year on its birthday.:yikes:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  9. oldrank

oldrank

and i bet that is what they will try to do.......

10. swampbuck

swampbuck

Is that your interpretation of his plan, or can you show us a REAL quote or document proving that it was his plan?

Sounds to me like the type of emotional hyperbole we have come to expect from the MBHA except in this case brought to us by the WBHA,
    Those gunships and soldiers would be a lot more effective if they used crossbows.:lol:

11. Rancid Crabtree

Rancid Crabtree

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
  12. Whit1

Whit1 Premium Member

I'm not sure if this is the CWD threard where Rancid C. made the statement about CWD being in WI for about thirty years, but I'm putting the copy/paste of an email response that I received from Prof. M. Samue in this thread. I had emailed him asking for confirmation of what Rancid.....sorry R.C. I'd prefer calling you by your real world name, but don't know it......told us about how long CWD has been present in WI.

Copy/Paste of Prof. Samuel's Response: (apparently someone named "Richard" emailed the same question at the same time...he must have a great mind like myself :lol:)

Thanks for your nearly simultaneous inquires about CWD history in Wisconsin. First, I was sorry to learn about the recent discovery of CWD in captive Michigan deer. I hope that it remains absent from your wild population. Second, yes, we have a paper that is currently in press that discusses the subject of how long CWD has been in Wisconsin. Based on currently disease infection rates, deer demography, and harvest rates we estimate that CWD has likely been in Wisconsin for quite some time. Based on our modeling, which has many assumptions, it seems quite reasonable to conclude that CWD has been in Wisconsin for at least 20 years. However, I also need to emphasize that our estimates have very wide confidence intervals and predicting when CWD arrived is difficult at best. If you consider the current prevalence rates, which have not changed since we discovered CWD 6 years ago, and the current widespread distribution of disease in southern Wisconsin and northern Illinois, our estimates appear to be very reasonable.

Hope this information is helpful and good luck,

Michael D. Samuel
    Wisconsin Cooperative Wildlife Research Unit
    204 Russell Labs
    1630 Linden Drive
    University of Wisconsin-Madison
    Madison, WI 53706

13. Rancid Crabtree

Rancid Crabtree

"it seems quite reasonable to conclude that CWD has been in Wisconsin for at least 20 years."

Correct, That is what we were told on several occasions that that is how long it had been before the discovery was made. Add 7 years (since the discovery) to that and you get nearly 30 years.

Dr. Samuel was present for many of our groups meetings. He was not the only one to conclude that as he states "we estimate that CWD has likely been in Wisconsin for quite some time." and when pressed, the answer was "Decades"

Thanks for checking into it.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  14. mulley

mulley Guest

There is a farmer near by who sells his entire crop (sizable) entirely to people for use as bait. His price is set by what the local mills sell it for. The price over the last few years has gone up considerably due to the use of corn as bio fuel. Banning bait will not affect the price or corn in the state in the least.

Sugar beets are supported by the federal govenment and their restrictions on much cheaper "cane sugar"

No farmer is going to "loose the farm" from the ban on baiting.

this is another one of the BS laws on the books that are hard to enforce.

CWD is in the WY deer heard and has been "known" for a very long time. Their DNR are not concerned in the least about it and just try to keep tabs. A state wide ban is silly and just shows how little MI DNR actual knowledge they have. A bunch of politicians run amuck. Remember when they had bounties on coyotes? There should be a no bag limit on idiots in government. so dont get me started.

15. One Eye

One Eye

Please share your expertise in infectious diseases and epidemiology before criticizing the response plan. I am very interested in your scientific education and training. Perhaps you can lend all this expertise to the scientists who are studying this disease.

BTW, Wyoming PROHIBITS baiting for all big game, except for those hunters who are blind or confined to a wheelchair. See page 2-5, Section 14 of the Wyoming General Hunting regulations book. If their DNR is not concerned with CWD, why do they have entire sections of their game regulations dedicated to this disease and the handling of game carcasses??

http://gf.state.wy.us/admin/regulations/pdf/Ch2.pdf

Nice try though :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.