CWD Results Timeline

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by LabtechLewis, Nov 1, 2018.

1. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

Results are in for sample #1.

Screenshot_2018-11-01-21-05-39.png

The wait this time around was a little less anxiety-inducing (submitted a sample last December for the first time), but still a relief to get a negative result. Taxidermist removed the lymph nodes on 10-22, sample logged in on 10-29, and just got results today.

2. davewcrook

davewcrook

IMG_1134.PNG Drop mine off at Taxidermy 10/25 got results today 11/2

LabtechLewis likes this.

3. Newaygo1

Newaygo1

You cannot Know as right Now They Are Very Slow wait Till Rifle Opener and Then Post How Quick the Results will be, last year it was a 7 to 10 days more 10 as It took 10 days and it was 3 days After Nov 15... Right Now they Cannot be that Busy as it will be Nov 15 and 16 and after... And with the Limit Check Stations Right Now and maybe just the Drop Boxes many are not willing or able to Provide what they WANT! As You said you had Your taxidermy Remove them well Most taxidermy are Outside the CWD ZONE so You Are Not Allowed to take it your Chosen Taxidermy as you Did... So Again having a taxidermy in the CWD Zone HELPS... Where as many do not have That Option... So Your Results will be sooner, wait till they get real Busy like Firearms season and see How "Quick" The Results will be..Then. I Doubt it will be That Quick!!!
    Newaygo1

4. syonker

syonker

Deer head given to DNR on 11-04-18 & lab results were available 11-09-18.

LabtechLewis likes this.
  5. Snowlover 77

Snowlover 77

Is it normal to have TB results right away but CWD results pending for 5 days? I have had TB results since Monday, but still awaiting on CWD today.

6. Snowlover 77

Snowlover 77

Is it normal for there to be a long delay between TB results and CWD results? I received TB results on Monday, but have been waiting on CWD results since then.

LabtechLewis likes this.
  7. december1979

december1979

Dropped my deer head off 11/17 shows processed on 11/20 (negative for Bovine TB) just got results for CWD today the 30th, tested negative.

The DNR drop box I used was M-37 meat shack in Newaygo county.

LabtechLewis likes this.
  8. HUBBHUNTER2

HUBBHUNTER2

Mine is still pending and my sample submission to DNR is also listed as the 20th. Assuming everything is ok or I would have received a call that it was suspect. But I think the turn around is still extremely slow. I was told by a DNR biologist on 11-19-18 when the sample was delivered that they can process 2,000 a day at the lab.

LabtechLewis and jr28schalm like this.
  9. MSUFW07

MSUFW07

Its normal to get Tb results back before CWD. The Tb test (PCR) is a much faster test then the CWD test (ELIZA). Then if you add that an animal might be suspect for CWD it gets sent off to the national lab in Ames Iowa for confirmation. I'm not sure the lab could handle 2,000 samples a day. They might be able to remove the lymph nodes from 2,000 deer but there is only so much man power and machines in the lab, and only so many testing kits. I'm sure they are working through as fast as they can but there are limits.

I got results for a deer I dropped off on Monday before I got the results for a deer I dropped off a week earlier. Both were dropped off at the deer check station in Lansing, so they only had a mile or two to go to the lab.

LabtechLewis likes this.
  10. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

3 more Livingston Co. samples dropped off in Lansing yesterday. Sounds like it was the last day they were checking deer at that location.

11. Skinner 2

Skinner 2

I dropped one off at the meet barn on 12/29/18. I had the results back 3 days ago when I checked. 8.5 year old doe.

LabtechLewis likes this.
  12. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

I dropped a deer head off on Friday at the Alpena check station, no results yet. It was the first deer dropped off during the Special Hunt. It was killed last year though.

LabtechLewis likes this.
  13. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

It was killed in late Dec. and you dropped it off on Jan. 4th ? Just wasn't convenient to drop it off sooner ? Probably won't be a lot of deer killed during this hunt so not a big surprise it was the 1st one since the hunt started on the 3rd.

L & O

14. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Busy holiday schedule plus a 2-1/2 hour round trip to an open field office for check in. Funds for open check stations in other parts of the state have been directed to the CWD zone.

15. G20man

G20man Banned

Shot a doe December 29. Turned in same day.
    Btb results were posted as none detected last Friday.
    Cwd result posted today none detected

LabtechLewis likes this.
  16. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

Just got my results this morning. All 3 were "not detected" for TB and CWD.

The DNR Lab reported the following ages, top to bottom:

20190105_091428.jpg

I had judged them as 5.5, 2.5, and 3.5 (top to bottom).

Again, goes to show the variability among inspectors. I knew 5.5 was a bit hopeful, but figured it would at least check out as 4.5. Of couse, I'm an amateur. Learn a little each time. No matter, it was an adult and that's what I was after.

FWIW, the guy that field checked them had them at 3.5, 3.5 and 2.5 (top to bottom).

Dropped on Monday evening and results on Friday morning. That's good work!

I had three kills and three samples submitted this year (an improvement over my one sample submitted last year, out of four kills). Checked that box.

Groundsize likes this.