close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

CWD land

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by LG1, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LG1

LG1

This might not be in the right section, or maybe not a good question, but I’m wondering if people are or might be thinking of selling their land that are in the core zones. And if so I wonder if they can get what it’s worth now as to before CWD was found. To me seems like might be interesting to know. I know the actual worth of the property won’t decline,
    But people lookin for recreation ground might not pay what it’s worth.

2. Waif

Waif Premium Member

C.W.D. will not null the benefit of managing a property habitat.
    What if C.W.D. becomes statewide?

You are right ,the land will retain value without considering deer. But prime sites will still offer the better hunting, and a premium price if exceptional habitat and location.
    Time will tell if it does for deer hunting ,but I had a hunter ask me to let him know if I would sell to him in a zone this season. Did not offer him a price that would profit me ,suspecting it would have been accepted.
    Other land uses are still possible ,but I' m still content with the concept of hunting deer going forward on mine.

A steep enough reduction in deer gives browse and habitat a chance to revive. Would not hurt my site to revive a little.
    It remains to be seen if reductions are severe.....but when a low population of deer begins to expand into improved/rested areas conditions can create some healthy and older deer. Habitat would need to sustain them well though and more than being rested would still be involved.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 12:26 AM

3. red wolf

red wolf

If land is in CWD zone it will for sure loose significantly desire to a percentage of hunters. Populations will not increase because the CWD is a 100% death sentence. If CWD ever jumps to humans you can bet it will be a ghost town with foe sale signs..

As effort is increased just to bring home a deer participation will decrease. If all the deer become mandatory to test and the need to hold off on eating your deer becomes reality. And processors have increased rules you can bet hunter numbers will fall accross the US

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 5:57 AM
    357Maximum likes this.
  4. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

U would have to be insane to buy property for deer hunting in a cwd zone. Do all the habitat crap u want it wont help against snipers with bait piles at night.

5. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

A prime example of what will come can be seen in the bTB zone. Property values have dropped significantly. Clubs that once had waiting lists are selling memberships at a fraction of what they went for before the big reduction in deer numbers.

The UP lost a good portion of it’s deer herd to winter kill. No disease and some camps remain for sale for years due to low deer numbers.

Hunters want a reasonable chance at killing a deer but with a disease that is 100% fatal knocking on the door demand will drop as the herd is reduced to low levels.

FullQuiver, plugger and 357Maximum like this.
  6. RedM2

RedM2

Yes, I believe land values for hunting will drop in the identified CWD areas. I think hunter participation in this state is going to drop off, too... for a variety of reasons linked to CWD in some way.

357Maximum likes this.
  7. LG1

LG1

I wonder if if people are let’s say a county next door, thinking now trying to sell before they get a confirmed case in the area. If I only had hunting land and not a residents there, I would be trying to that’s for sure

8. otcarcher

otcarcher

Deer populations would increase exponentially if hunting stopped. Yes, CWD is fatal, but it would have little effect on overall deer population declines. In Wisconsin, for example, a recent report showed that they have found only 11 CWD positive deer that were dead. 11. The human response will have a far greater impact on the deer than the disease itself.

jr28schalm likes this.
  9. red wolf

red wolf

The key word is found only 11.

RedM2 likes this.
  10. RedM2

RedM2

This is only true to a point. Once this disease hits a critical mass, it'll spread like wildfire and have devastating consequences. Your contention that the human response (guessing you're referring to a scorched earth policy) will have more of an impact than the disease is more short-term thinking. If we allow the disease to do what it does (spread), the long-term impact will be irreversible based on what we know about CWD.

11. IceHog

IceHog Premium Member

It's been around in the USA since the 1960's, it hasn't wiped out herds anywhere that I'm aware of, you know of some??

12. Waif

Waif Premium Member

Not expecting any night hunts in my area. Or for property owners or their guests to be replaced by" snipers" allowed access to cull deer.
    Maybe there are unhunted places I don' t know of near ,but the deer are held in check enough to not present a highly productive nights kill when numbers are the game. The fingers on one hand are the sum of current resident deer that use multiple properties including my little one. Paid guns might seek the easy money/ higher counts elsewhere, even if if allowed access locally. Sbould land owners want them gone, they will be. Both deer,and " snipers".

13. RedM2

RedM2

That's short-term thinking. Look at what's happening in Wyoming. Additionally, population densities will accelerate the spread of this disease by increasing the rate of deer-to-deer contact. But hey, it's peoples' / hunters' choice to burry their collective heads in the sand if that's what they choose to do.

357Maximum likes this.
  14. Osceola

Osceola

Sounds like a good buying opportunity to me. I'll be saving my pennies.

15. Whitetail_hunter

Whitetail_hunter

Everyone in the CWD zone should just sell me all their land for $100/acre. That way you can get out of there before the sky completely falls and crushes you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.