CWD in Wisconsin is spreading like wildfire

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Titan34, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Waif

Waif

Why has New York not had a resurgence of C.W.D.?

2. ridgewalker

ridgewalker

The highly contagious endemics of today could be eliminated by eliminating the human race but does that accomplish the goal of stopping the disease so that humanity is healthier? Effective scientists identify strategies that eliminate the life of the disease and not the life of the victim.
    As far as containing the disease, IMO, the MIDNR is way beyond too late on that one.

3. otcarcher

otcarcher Banned

They got lucky. Bottom line.

sureshot006 likes this.
  4. Waif

Waif

I didn't want to suggest that...

Without another reason confirmed ,it is a big possibility though.

Any evidence of aflatoxins affecting proteins anywhere near C.W.D.'s folding them? (Any mimicking?)

Has there been any peer review of Briotech's claim of hypochlorous acid's effect on C.W.D. altered proteins?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  5. otcarcher

otcarcher Banned

Considering Asergillus Flavus, etc, occur mostly in warm and humid climates and most cereal grain crops are treated with fungicide to prevent it....What does your question have to do with New York?

6. Waif

Waif

Bagged deer corn can contain fungus. As can a field of corn. Including post harvest.
    New York is not immune to conditions of humidity or warmth but ...No , not suggesting N.Y. had a fungus mimic C.W.D..

Texas tracking an index herd forward and backwards led to my question of corn. Though corn not likely a subject in their study.

7. otcarcher

otcarcher Banned

Wasn't suggesting otherwise. With so many variables, I don't think we will ever know unless the work by Frank Bastian is replicated by others and shown to be true. Sadly, it's highly suspect, simply because nobody else can replicate his test results. Groundbreaking if they could though, and falls in line with the aflatoxin theory you posted, albeit a different organism.

Groundsize and Waif like this.
  8. Groundsize

Groundsize

Can you explain some ideas that would possibly work if any? Everyone knows this stuff could be unstoppable with out some miracle.

Everyone has issues with failed policy and a system that fails to work or provide any results. That's our issue. The DNR has a reputation of riding on other states coat tails apparently loves blowing money on testing.

The DNR has no plan in place. All they are doing is testing and wanting deer shot. That's no system.

Lets come up with some serious alternatives that work.

9. Waif

Waif

We have quite a while to study while waiting for certain cervids to develop a greater immunity or not.
    The immune system might hold some ideas.
    Why one genome among a cervid group has resistance vs another.
    And where I wander without sound clues,if a weakened immune system makes for an easier pathway to manipulated proteins that don't get sloughed off.

10. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Mods

I didn't kill my deer in the CWD zone, so there is really no relevance to any DNR CWD plan.
    The reason that CWD will continue to spread is plain and simple, has been known since day one, and you seem to echo this constantly;
    "Hunter harvest decisions depend most heavily on personal attitudes and are relatively unaffected by agency educational efforts" .
    CWD in Michigan will NEVER end. Any actions taken now are simply to help prevent your grand kids from having to hunt areas with prevalence rates of over 50% or higher.
    Anyway - preventing the spread of CWD, or limiting the spread is just blowing smoke because nowhere have hunters been willing and able to reduce population densities, while limiting buck age structure. NOWHERE...
    Why expect anything different here?
    <----<<<

swampbuck and sureshot006 like this.
  11. G20man

G20man Banned

Right why expect different.
    I'll ask again.
    You can only pick one.

What do you think the main concern should be?
    Population?
    Or yearling buck dispersal?

12. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Mods

If you only pick one you will lose. We will lose. End of story.
    <----<<<

Rut-N-Strut, Waif and mbrewer like this.
  13. Tracker83

Tracker83 Premium Member

LOL. I love this! You continue to post your paragraph of best "known science" over and over and over as the ONLY way to combat CWD in Michigan, yet every time you post it you have to add the disclaimer that it is bound to fail right from the start and will have no chance of success. Please explain again why we should follow your "plan"? I'm not a professional wildlife manager, but if the best plan from "known science" is destined to fail then maybe it isn't worth the paper it's printed on?

14. otcarcher

otcarcher Banned

The sky is falling, the sky is falling. There's been enough Chicken Little nonsense here over the past three years to last a lifetime.

Lightfoot, Musket, HUBBHUNTER and 3 others like this.
  15. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

16. sniper

sniper

To add, it's sometimes embarrassing that some of these statements are coming from grown men...

Sent from my LG-H871 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Musket, Tracker83 and otcarcher like this.
  17. Grizzly Adams

Grizzly Adams

Not sure if this was mentioned - but a lot of people don't have a need to shoot that many deer. Might have 4 guys hunting a 120 acre parcel. They might only want one deer a piece. They will hunt for a buck ...& then maybe take a Doe in late season if they don't get a buck.

I would think this is common for a lot of private lands.
    Population stays the same for the most part year to year.

HUBBHUNTER and sureshot006 like this.
  18. G20man

G20man Banned

Nice Dodge.

Apparently trying for both isn't working and won't work for the reason you stated.
    So IMO maybe we need to focus on one important issue (population )until corrected then add in the other.
    It's so obvious that in order to put more pressure on does we need to restrict the taking of bucks in some fashion.
    But we'll just continue to let hunters make the choice and continue to deal with the same problem. But hey, at least you will be able to keep it easy to kill a buck while the population remains bloated.

19. otcarcher

otcarcher Banned

We've discussed this before. There is absolutely zero chance researchers could actually quantify the mortality difference. They're relying on 100% accuracy of live testing deer for CWD. Failure rates (missing CWD positives) of this test in early stages of disease are extremely high. Similar to the ridiculous conclusions of the Wyoming study claiming deer extinction by CWD, both complete nonsense. If such testing accuracy existed, there would be absolutely no need to depopulate a cervid facility after finding a CWD positive animal. Fact.

Lightfoot likes this.