CWD in the field testing

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by flocknocker1, Nov 4, 2019.

1. flocknocker1

flocknocker1

It looks as if MSU is diving into a way that we as hunters can test a deer in the field for CWD . The article was posted Sept. 30th ,2019 . This cannot come soon enough, as we could all have potentially infected deer in our freezers.Deer that looked healthy when we shot them but have harbored the disease and have not reached the stage of emaciation,listlessness or other tell tale signs of being sick.The article talks of testing deer in the field, but makes no mention of being able to test deer that have already been processed . WE NEED THIS !!!!! I cannot imagine being responsible for feeding my kids or grandkids meat that has been infected and would later cause health problems for them,hell I may have already done so,who knows? We need a reliable disease test kit available to every deer hunter to be able to check in the field or in their freezer!!

2. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

In time there will be a reliable test. Until then it’s very simple to drop the head off for testing. The DNR even provides hunters with drop boxes and a list of taxidermist willing to remove the glands for testing.

I wish MSU the best but I’ll be dead and gone before it becomes available to the public.

3. flocknocker1

flocknocker1

The problem with the existing procedure is that you have already handled the animal in most cases and at times cannot wait for results from the lab for a hanging deer . We still need to be able to test previously taken deer . Hopefully the process to create an in the field test kit will be expedited, but I certainly will not be holding my breath.

4. Newaygo1

Newaygo1

Can you Provide a Link to these "Taxidermist" who will do this? As Of 2018 there was only 1 in Montcalm County as a part of an episode of "Michigan Out of Doors" but there was nothing as to if he was doing it for potential Customers or if there was a Fee associated with doing this. As I don't know if any Deer Processor as the one I used would not provide I use. And when I contacted a couple Taxidermists in the Core CWD Area and Non responded to my emails As I was hoping to not transport my Buck Outside the Core Area But Never seen any List who Will Remove this Gland. And recently when I contact the DNR with questions like this they did not mention anything about Taxidermists that do this? If there is a List does it mention if they will do this for anyone or just New Customer or existing Customers and again is there a Fee as most Heads are "Frozen" or does it need to be a recent Kill and not Frozen as having the Bucks Cape damaged is a Concern? as waiting for it to be thawed is a return trip? Many Questions and little Info from the DNR when you Contact Them with Q's like this? As when I drop off my Frozen Head at a Taxidermist they did not Mention if they would provide it. Also How soon is It Required to Provide this Gland to the DNR for good Results 24, 72 or or even 168 Hours does that make a Difference as using a Drop is not an Option nor is providing a Good Bucks Head to a Check Station when you are wanting to have a Shoulder Mount Done as to No Options when you have a Good Buck and looking for a Shoulder Mount. As the DNR does not Mention any List Available??? To have Your Buck and getting one Tested??? As I continue asking as of recent as of Sunday via an email to the DNR with the 24 Hour Chk In among other Q's they only answered the as to not moving a Deer Outside the Core Area yet last year once you did Check you deer with the DNR you were allowed to transport the Bucks head outside this area which seems odd what Difference does it make Checked or Not? Too Many Q's and lack of Good Info??? As to having you Deer / Buck being Tested????? Yet trying to Meet these 2018 / 2019 Regulations!
    Newaygo1

5. Walt Donaldson

Walt Donaldson

I'm hopeful that science will catch up in time to make a difference, the field test would be a big first step! In the meantime, get your deer tested, and don't freak out! :eek:

6. flocknocker1

flocknocker1

Well I am certainly not the freaking out type , but am concerned with what I am feeding my family .

Hunters Edge and Walt Donaldson like this.
  7. Walt Donaldson

Walt Donaldson

I agree.

Hunters Edge likes this.
  8. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

I just saw your post. They are on nearly every other corner in that area.

https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-350-79119_79147_81438-507364--,00.html

9. Newaygo1

Newaygo1

Nope no all the Corners I have driven By.. You are Msitaken... and A well Known Deer Processor would not do It Either! As for Every Corner Doubt that as I drive around some in Newaygo and Mecosta Counties and there is None along all the Roads into Big Rapids... From 19 mile south into Big Rapids never Seen One But This has Only been going on for the last 2 Years Maybe more are starting to but I have Not seen Any in My Travels YET! As there was only one last year in Montcalm County and he was on Michigan Out of Doors that was THE ONLY One most Knew about...
    But thanks for the Link...
    Newaygo1

10. Newaygo1

Newaygo1

Also who can say these do Quality Work to take the Chance on having the Cape partially removed or removed as some taxidermists want to do it themselves as you hear horror stories about a poor quality mount! Just food for Thought...
    Newaygo1

11. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Cape the deer out yourself and take it to the taxidermist of your choice if you are worried about the listed taxidermists. It doesn’t get any easier than that. It’s not like it’s surgery. Fleshing, turning the lips and ears can be left for your award winning taxidermist.

12. Waif

Waif

May or may not appeal to you with distance , but Black Creek Taxidermy at 291 Jones Rd. 616-636-4367 has done well by me with their work in the past.
    (I need to call and confirm they're still willing to extract nodes ,before next Friday.)

Give me a holler before you go if you visit them.

13. Newaygo1

Newaygo1

Do Not have the "Skills" to Cape a Deer and not Wreck It if my Processor is not willing and he does deer a lot I cannot see doing it and Wreck the Cape. This is for some but No one I will do and then take it to any Taxidermist and told I wrecked the Cape. And not get a Shoulder Mount Done. Want a Mount I can recommend The Taxidermist and want a Skilled Taxidermist the one I am planning on taking the Head to to perform the Caping of the Head, Guess Some will chance it but I will never especially being Rushed to Meet the "24 Hour Check In!
    Thanks for the List and Link...
    I am looking at the list to see if I can get more info on those listed as some want a recommendation for Any Taxidermist as some do a Better Mounts than others!

Waif Okay if I score a buck this Year I will see and if any closer will work for me... Thanks for the Offer...
    Newaygo1

14. 7mmsendero

7mmsendero

For what it’s worth there’s plenty of precautions you can take to protect your family besides relying on a test. Processing your own is a good idea, what if a couple of CWD positive deer go to your local processor? Don’t cut bones, don’t eat organs and avoid contact with brain tissue in your processing area.

15. flocknocker1

flocknocker1

I do process my own . With more recent studies they are finding that people may in fact get infected from eating infected meat. There is a reason the DNR is advising not to eat CWD infected deer .If you do not come in contact with brain tissue,do not eat organs,do not cut bones, it still could be in the meat . And not just this years deer , the deer we shot last year, etc...Of course we can cut the head off a recently shot deer and have it tested, my point is that we need to be able to test previously shot deer from portions of the meat and not just from brain tissue or lymph nodes . An in the field test before the animal is even handled would be best .