CWD.....From Some Deer Farmers' Perspective.

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by motdean, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

2. No-Bama

No-Bama

I think that they're trying to put a spin on what is actually a valid point. The point is that most deer infected with CWD will likely not die of it. Most deer will die at the hands of hunters, being hit by vehicles, or by predation, prior to CWD killing them.

It seems clear that CWD is always fatal, however more likely than not, it will not be the eventual cause of death.

Stubee, motdean and mbrewer like this.

3. Stubee

Stubee

I’ve read a ton of research articles on CWD the past few years and I’m not talking about deer farm promotion stuff l, or guys going off with opinions. There’s a lot of science since it was first discovered and as a guy who started deer hunting in 1963 it bothers the Hell outta me. I think it could have a bigger negative impact on hunting than anything I’ve seen in my lifetime.

4. eye-sore

eye-sore

Just for fun i did a google search of colorado deer info.i thought it would be interesting to see what colorado has to say about cwd, since many think it originated there......i was surprised to see deer numbers arent down much and the reason they say is not disease related at all.they list energy production and predation as the 2 main causes of reduction. My question is if cwd didnt wipe out the herd of colorado and other states, who have it worse than us, then what are people freaking out over?maybe cwd is a natural cause of death and is natures way of keeping numbers in check or what i think is more likely is that cwd has existed since beginning of time and was just never identified. This is really starting to be like a religion to both sides.

Piranha man, G20man and HUBBHUNTER like this.
  5. No-Bama

No-Bama

I can only speak for myself, but I have very minimal concern about CWD decimating the herd. That's not likely to happen. Research indicates that the disease course, from infection to death, can be more than 25 months. So if a deer falls out of the womb onto soil infected with the mutated prions and contracts CWD that deer would have to survive TWO hunting seasons before succumbing to the disease.

Let's say that same fawn doesn't immediately contract CWD and gets through its first hunting season. He then contracts the disease in February in a yarding area as a 10 month old fawn. He would then have to survive it's 1.5 and 2.5 year old hunting seasons before succumbing to CWD. Both of these likely before showing any discernable symptoms. The odds are much higher that any deer will die by means other than the disease.

As the disease becomes more prevalent, I can certainly see it affecting age structure, but I don't see it adversely affecting the overall size of the herd. Unless of course, the herd is reduced at the hands of hunters, potentially under the direction of the DNR.

My biggest worry is the health concerns regarding consuming venison, and the possibility that CWD will jump species. Surviving 3.5 years might be a relatively long time for a deer in Michigan......but is sure isnt long for my family and I!

Stubee, Fishmaster 196 and eye-sore like this.