CWD found in Michigan

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Tom Morang, Aug 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldguy

oldguy

Not likely. Previous attempts at doing so have failed.

2. Rancid Crabtree

Rancid Crabtree

You guys are over reacting to this whole CWD thing. It's not a big deal. I thought this was all covered in the Disease area of this forum.

Been there, done that! I have been involved with the CWD thing here in WI for some time now. I will be more than happy to answer any questions that I am able to. I sat on our State's CWD Stakeholder committee and spent a good deal of time going through all the science and research and data. The briefings from the UW science team were very enlightening.

Our Technical advisory team consisted of Research Scientists, Biologists, DNR personnel and many other folks involved with the disease. I could bury you with web links and data but in a short time, your eyes would glaze over. I will be happy to help in laymen's terms (not that you guys are not bright enough to figure it out but there is a lot to sort through)

I will give you the link to our web site as there is some useful info there. There are about 13 hours worth of video from some of the scientific presentations I sat through.

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/...D/advisory.htm
    These are some of the best ones. The Role of PrP Genetics is especially good to view. It basically relates that not all deer are susceptible to contracting CWD which is why infection rates remain so low. The environmental contamination video explains how the Prions remain in the soil for many many years and actually increase the infectivity of CWD to the tune of 700%

Human Health Risks [VIDEO Length 47:31]

CWD Risks to Other Species [VIDEO Length 62:43]

CWD Disease Ecology, Part 1 [VIDEO Length 50:48]

CWD Disease Ecology, Part 2 [VIDEO Length 42:47]

What is the Role of Environmental Contamination [VIDEO Length 50:21]

The Role of PrP Genetics in CWD [VIDEO Length 29:20

As I said, I will try to answer anything you throw at me from a deer hunters perspective but know right now that CWD is not a threat to humans, cattle or even the majority of deer. WI has had CWD for almost 30 years and it remains isolated to only a portion of the state and that area, we named the CWDMZ (Management zone) has an infection rate of less than 3%

Our committee drafted the rules for the State's management plan for dealing with CWD for the next 5 years and our plan is far more relaxed than the initial "Kill em all" panic that started back in 2002. The State legislature cut our DNR's CWD budget by over 60% back in 2006 because they could see that after spending 35 million on a problem that can't be fixed had gone on long enough.

As far as penned deer go. If you want all penned operations to end, then get used to using synthetic buck lure. You most likely importing buck and doe urine from CWD infected States and pouring the infected prions on the ground near your stand.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015

3. Munsterlndr

Munsterlndr Cereal Baiter Premium Member

CWD in Wisconsin has been estimated to have cost approx. $75 million a year in decreases in hunter related expenditures alone, let alone the impact on public resources having to be re-allocated to deal with the situation. With a higher percentage of Michigan hunters used to employing bait, the economic impact on this state resulting from the banning of feeding & baiting are going to be substantial, easily into the hundreds of millions of dollars.

"Not a big deal".

yeah. right. whatever.

4. Rancid Crabtree

Rancid Crabtree

The scare came from the media who blew it way out of proportion. Hunters have wised up and are returning to the sport since 6 years have passed and nothing has come from CWD in WI except hype.

The public resources that were allocated have now been shut off. The DNR's budget was cut 60% for CWD once the State realized that it was trowing the money away on something no State have ever eradicated and never will.

This can cost MI almost nothing if it simply tests and monitors and does not try to scare the hell out of hunters for nothing.

There are two kinds of deer habitat.

1. States that have discovered CWD in the deer herd and

2. States that have CWD but have yet to discover it.

Like People, deer can simply get CWD. In people 1 in 1 million people just get CJD. The same is true of deer.

5. hda31

hda31

i totally agree with rancid crabtree, im not gonna get tooo hyped up over this

6. Jim Zellinger

Jim Zellinger

I was reading the action plan if CWD was found. I am very tired, but if they are inacting the baiting ban will they also be trying to shoot off all of the deer in the area. In the action plan it states that they will use all resorces necessary to remove all Deer. I am very tired so I may have read it wrong. But if I read it right, I bet there are going to be some land owners and hunters that have no deer to hunt? Here in Montcalm county, I feel this is a little too close for comfort. Thanks for your help in setting me strait on this.

7. Ninja

Ninja Guest

You read it wrong....as of now, they will cull 300 free-range deer within a 79sq mile +/- area and test them.

If CWD is found in 1% of the test sampling in the free range herd, the area will forego depopulation and testing.

8. Jim Zellinger

Jim Zellinger

Thanks. I'll sleep a little better now.

9. Rancid Crabtree

Rancid Crabtree

Jim (anybody) can you share a link to that plan? WI tried that and gave up. It caused a war with sportsmen. WI went from a 100% eradication plan and then realized the folly in that and then settled on 95%. Our committee set a herd goal that was established back in 2001 (Before CWD was discovered) and then reduced that number by 20%.

In truth, hunters will only kill as many deer as they can eat and give away. WI even tried monetary incentives to intice hunters to shoot more deer but sportsmen are sportsmen and could not be bought into killing in excess of what they can eat.

Once the science came out that once CWD get in the soil, it's there to stay and becomes more infective, folks realized that there was no point in killing all the deer unless you planned to keep all deer out of an area for 10 years and even then, the risk if environmental contamination meant newly re-introduced deer would get CWD form the soil.

10. Rancid Crabtree

Rancid Crabtree

Thanks, I'll read it tomorrow, That plan was most likely written right after the WI CWD discovery (Hence the 2002 date) which means it is sorely out dated.

11. Ninja

Ninja Guest

I can assure you the plan and study of CWD has not been closeted since 2002.

12. Rancid Crabtree

Rancid Crabtree

Do you have a updated version or is the 6 year old document the plan they are using? The soil test data from 2007 would not have been know back in 2002.

13. Ninja

Ninja Guest

They are familiar with the soil test data.
    Peruse the whole website in the link I gave you.....

14. chucky22250

chucky22250

if everybody is that worried about cwd in deer you better worry about all the cows and other animals that farmers raise in fenced in areas also...remember another thing alot of these diseases like tb and cwd have been around long periods of time in wild animals before people started to worry,also when the first deer or elk that were raised in the game farms where do you think they came from? they all were wild animals that were caught and put inside the fences of the farms...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.