CWD found in Michigan

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Tom Morang, Aug 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farmlegend

farmlegend Say My Name.

Exactly.

I fully expect the baiting apologists to hide behind the skirt of pinning sole responsibility for the transmission of diseases affecting deer upon the captive cervid industry. Or whatever else they can float as a rationalization to preserve the practices of baiting and/or artificial feeding of deer.

Hunters need to LEAD on this and act as responsible stewards. Not whine about the practices of others and seek excuses for failing to do the right thing themselves.

2. wally-eye

wally-eye Guest

And a baiting ban is going to be just the tip of the iceberg before this all plays out..........lots and lots of changes on the horizon I forsee.....

3. EYESON

EYESON Guest

Although I agree on a ban when CWD is found in the wild, I think the ban in this case is a knee jerk reaction by the DNR. This animal was found in a pen and yet we hear nothing about what the plan is by the DNR to make sure it does not get out of the pen. Are they going to eradicate all the deer on this particular farm? Are they going to eradicate the deer that this farm supplied deer to? All these deer are possible carriers. All it would take is for one of these deer to get loose and it would get into the wild deer population. Also what is the plan of the DNR on the soil that is contained in the enclouser of the infected area? The only plan I haveherd from the DNR is to put up check stations and ban feeding and baiting. Now the other thing that is not said is does the DNR believe that deer have escaped from the infected farm? There are alot of open questions that need to be answered before a decision like this is made, and they need to inform the public on these issues so they understand what went into the decision process.

4. MuskyDan

MuskyDan

So in your eyes banning bait in the SLP is the solution to the problem of a sick deer in a fence? Is the ultimate goal here to stop baiting because it could contribute to CWD if it ever breaks out in a free ranging herd? Great, that is a great plan. But banning bait as a reactionary measure to a problem that probably doesn't even exsist(CWD in free ranging deer) is a waste of time and energy and will cut into the pockets of some Michigan farmers and retailers.

The problem here is that there is to many political agendas attached to deer hunting.

5. Ninja

Ninja Guest

All of your questions can be answered here....

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/CWD_ContingencyPlan_41755_7.pdf

6. chevyjam2001

chevyjam2001

The deer that tested positive is dead. She was a cull deer and law requires a sample for testing be sent in. Also it is not believed that there have been any escaped animals from the faccility.
    I assume that for all of those in favor of shutting down the deer farming industry, that none of you purchase or use bottled "deer" scent products? That is an awful big industry to shut down. There is more to it than just high fence hunting operations.

7. Ninja

Ninja Guest

It is not believed that CWD can be spread by urine....that part of the industry is safe for now.

8. farmlegend

farmlegend Say My Name.

With perhaps the biggest of all the desire of some deer hunters to continue to practice baiting as if it were a natural right, regardless of its impact on the resource. Now that CWD has shown up in Kent County, expect the light of day to shine on this issue, which, up until now, was a topic of discussion largely confined to deer hunters, who comprise a whopping 6.5% of Michigan residents. The other 93.5% of Michiganders are likely to soon express some interest in this subject.

You are being presumptuous. The fact of the matter is that virtually every natural resource professional born in the last 100 years is negative on artificial feeding of deer, as it contributes to disease transmission. No amount of guessing what's in someone's "eyes" changes that fact.

"Sick deer in a fence?" Fenced enclosures are anything but hermetically sealed. Plenty of ways to transmit diseases from a fenced enclosure to outside of it. As has been shown in other states with CWD.

9. Nick Adams

Nick Adams

This hasn't been established yet. Free ranging deer haven't been tested for CWD on anything approaching the same intensity as penned deer. The fact that the first one showed up inside a pen could easily be a function of sampling intensity rather than infection origin or prevalence.

-na

10. skipper34

skipper34

And seeing as how the monster has reared its ugly head, it is the attitude of some individuals which adds to the stumbling block of trying to deal with this dreaded disease. C'mon, people, what is right or wrong means nothing at this point. Banding together and keeping this thing in check is our only hope of protecting the resource.

11. MuskyDan

MuskyDan

right and TB was the same way and look at all the deer that have shown up positive! How does a statewide deer baiting ban help determine whether or not Kent County has an issue with CWD?

12. Skibum

Skibum Premium Member

Exactly. The genie of baiting should never have been let out of the bottle in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2008
  13. swoosh

swoosh

This just in beep beep beep

All the bait stations on M-55 are having a sale.

Carrots two scopes for price of one.

Corn all the corn you can carry for a dollar

Apples 4 baskets for the price of two

Beets fill your truck for a buck

:lol:

14. wildcoy73

wildcoy73

Sounds good to me. But this rule will not change the fact they are still allowed to sell bait. it will only be against the rule to use it.

15. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

FYI, I read lots about CWD when I frequented Colorado to hunt and I'd like to share a couple of things.

1. There is no known way to cleanse the ground. They tried it where CWD was first dirscovered and any deer that they put in there end up with it.

2. There can be 5 or more years before infected deer show signs.

As with the crossbow debate, I'll stand in the shadows on this one too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.