CWD found in Michigan

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Tom Morang, Aug 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinefarm

Pinefarm

After several months of lurking without logging in, I feel compelled to do so today. Whatever headbutting of disagreement I had with other members is now water under the bridge on my end because we now have a very serious event that all of us hunters, compound hunters, traditional bow hunters, handicapped hunters, rifle hunters, shotgun hunters, inline ML hunters and traditional ML hunters NEED to unite on. We now all have a common enemy that threaten's our "hunting lifestyle".

While bad news, it is not the worst news. Yet, anyways. First, the find is not in free ranging deer, correct? Let's pray it's an isolated case and goes nowhere else.

But, hopefully now many can see what needs to be done and demanded by responsible stewards of the wildlife we all love. This is the wakeup call many of us knew was inevitable.

First, I don't know how you close down existing deer enclosures, but a $10,000 a year monitering fee will weed out all but the most legitimate and viable.
    Second, baiting just has to be banned ASAP. The MDNR 50 miles rules in place makes that so and it needs to be enforced from this point on. Hunters cannot complain about a baiting ban at this point. Not at least until things get sorted out.
    Third, the old traditional rules and regulations, dates and bag limits will have to be made "old", and new modernized regulations will need to be in place for 2009.

Michigan doesn't have to necessarily "nuke the place" like WI tried to do, but it's clear to all (hopefully most) that things now need to change.

If this find spreads nowhere else, it's a blessing in disguise. If it's in free ranging deer, then there's little to find that is good, since it's in Kent county and will spread.

Oh yeah, nice to post again, despite the circumstances.

2. koz bow

koz bow

Ahhh...I remember a year ago discussing this subject on this forum and the thought was that it was coming across the Michigan border, smack in the middle of my property here on the SW corner. I am hoping it jumped it.

Sounds like a good time for me to open up that foodplotting business I always wanted to get into. Buying bags of "instant food plot oh plenty" from the local gas station parking lot in the fall will soon become a thing of the past.

Time will tell and whatever the right steps are to be taken to stop this beast, I am all for it!

3. NonTypicalCPA

NonTypicalCPA

It will be interesting to hear how it "jumped" all the way to kent county. Like Koz mentioned, I think a lot assumed it would wander in through the southern counties.

BTW, I have a couple of spin feeders for sale (just thowing in a little humor on a very serious subject).

Welcome back Pinefarm!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  4. swampbuck

swampbuck

best idea here !

5. Munsterlndr

Munsterlndr Cereal Baiter Premium Member

Allow the skeptic in me to make the following predictions.

This will be in the news for several weeks and then will be largely forgotten by the vast majority of Michigan hunters.

The NRC will decide that since it has not been found in free ranging deer, that the CWD plan and the accompanying ban on baiting will be shelved.

The Department of agriculture will impose stricter regulations governing captive cervid enclosures which will last about 6 months to a year until the owners of such facilities contact their legislators, who will then bring pressure to bear on the MDA and the tougher standards will be scrapped.

Baiting will continue unabated. (pun intended).

At the end of the season the DNR will proudly announce that the EAS caused an additional 10,000 or so does to be harvested in the SLP while at the same time announcing that hunter numbers in Michigan have fallen by another 30,000 hunters and that as a result the overall harvest decreased again. Look for the deer population to top 2 million within the next 3-4 years.

No changes will be made to the combo tag and there will continue to be a limitation placed on the number of antlerless licenses that an individual can buy, despite the fact that the herd in the SLP is grossly overpopulated.

Time will tell but based on Michigan's previous track record of being reactive instead of proactive when faced with impending threats to our wildlife, why would you expect any different course of action to be taken?

6. Linda G.

Linda G.

7. Nick Adams

Nick Adams

:lol:

That isn't what happened in Wisconsin. Hunters not only complained, they pressured the legislature to overrule the WDNR's baiting ban - despite the presence of CWD.

-na

8. fairfax1

fairfax1 Premium Member

Linda G. .........

I read the Cadillac article you linked but did not see a reference to DNR vis-a-vis baiting. Did I miss it?

9. Tom Morang

Tom Morang

The DNR Director has the authority to ban baiting and feeding if CWD is found in Michigan. I have a feeling she will ban it, not much choice in the matter. Can the NRC get cold feet? Sure, but I also have a feeling the Ag department will hold their feet to the fire.

tm

10. Linda G.

Linda G.

neither did I...just the title and the second sentence, then no other reference, and no quotes...??

Article Tools: Print Email Comment
    CWD deer prompts state to ban baiting

State officials have discovered the first deer with Chronic Wasting Disease in Michigan at a facility in Kent County.

In responding to the plan, the DNR is banning all feeding and baiting in the Lower Peninsula.

Chronic Wasting Disease

CWD is a fatal neurological disease that affects deer, elk and moose. Most cases of the disease have been in western states, but in the past several years, it has spread to some midwestern and eastern states.

Infected animals display abnormal behaviors, progressive weight loss and physical debilitation.

Current evidence suggests that the disease is transmitted through infectious, self-multiplying proteins (prions) contained in saliva and other fluids of infected animals. Susceptible animals can acquire CWD by direct exposure to these fluids or also from contaminated environments. Once contaminated, research suggests that soil can remain a source of infection for long periods of time, making CWD a particularly difficult disease to eradicate.

Article Tools: Print Email Comment

On the page going in, it said "upcoming articles''....maybe tomorrow's paper. They must have talked to somebody...there's nothing online other than this, I looked everywhere.

11. swoosh

swoosh

If they ban baiting in the SLP no need for OBR or AR's:lol:
    Will be the envy of every state.;)

IMO it's only a matter of time before CWD is found in free ranging herd.

We have had a ban on baiting for awhile now in 452

12. soggybtmboys

soggybtmboys

I hope you are wrong my friend. To think, just picked up a spin caster from Cabela's on Saturday. Hoping to get some neat pics with it and the new camera.....looks like I will be heading back this weekend to return it.

If this is an isolated incident, is it possible for quarantine on that herd, destroy it, and biologically remediate the soil and environment to eliminate and potential CWD threat from that area?

13. bentduck

bentduck

Another great example of crisis managment that came about by ignoring what everyone knew would eventually happen. I posted this in another forum but I think it bears repeating here.

After sitting on the Captive Cervid Task Force, I can tell you there was (and is) wide-spread (if not very vocal) sentiment amongst biologists and wildlife officials that captive cervid operations should be shut down. It was not a political slam dunk though without a smoking gun or, in this case, diseased deer. Also very important to the equation is the fact that captive cervid operations have become a big business in Michigan.

Well, it would seem they now have their deer, so the rest of the story will be interesting to watch as this unfolds.

The story here however, really isn't that CWD has finally appeared in Michigan. The real story is that state officials knew it was going to happen eventually and probably in a high fence operation. They held meetings, set up a "task force" and so on ... It all gave the appearance of "due diligence" but in the end, they chose to ignore this problem because of pure politics. I was there and watched it happen. Sound science once again took a back seat to politics and here you go.

It will be interesting to see how the DNR and Dept. of Ag react to this now.

One thing for sure ... the spin masters will be working overtime on this. Lets just hope it remains isolated or we are in for a rude awakening in SW Michigan.

14. soggybtmboys

soggybtmboys

From a news clip:

Quote:
    In West Michigan, there are six farms of concern, the Kent County facility where the sick deer was found and five others in Osceola and Montcalm counties, which did business with the other farm.

Keeps getting better.

15. wildcoy73

wildcoy73

soggy you can't have a spin feeder up at your place. unless your just a tap south and in the county with the I and not the A. :lol::lol: Could have sent ya to my dad's sure he would of sold ya the ones in the garage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.