CWD Deer in Kent County Isolated Case

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Tom Morang, Sep 4, 2008.

1. terry

terry Banned

Yesterday, 03:03 PM terry Guide Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Bacliff, TEXAS USA Posts: 523

Deer breeders welcome news that Kent County chronic wasting case was isolated

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deer breeders welcome news that Kent County chronic wasting case was isolated

by Howard Meyerson | The Grand Rapids Press Thursday September 04, 2008, 8:00 AM

snip...

i don't think isolated is the proper word, until all the deer are tested in all these game farms. lifting quarantines without all animals tested is a bad move in my opinion. ...TSS

P.S. plus, what about the game farm where the one CWD infected doe was found, how many years will that farm be quarantined, due to environmental contamination ???

https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248177&page=2

TSS

---------------------------

2. GVDocHoliday

GVDocHoliday

Most retailers here in Mason County has pulled any feed/mineral supplements off of their shelves in response to the baiting ban. That's including Miejers and WalMart.

Who would have thought that the big corporations would be responsible like that. Seriously...any responsible citizen would NOT sell bait knowing that it is illegal...I mean, lets compare...people that sell bait...are like drug dealers...except they don't get arrested.

3. traditional

traditional

Very good question.

Another question.

If the only reliable test is tissue from a dead deer. How do they know other deer are not infected?

Once this Prion is in the environment it is there to stay. I hope for that reason alone they do not act to soon.

4. GVDocHoliday

GVDocHoliday

The Department of Agriculture killed all the deer at that breeding facility in order to test them. They killed 4 others a couple of other facilities that have been in contact with the contaminated doe.

That breeding facility will never be operational again for any type of cervids or even livestock. That one doe would have contaminated the soil with her droppings....and it's a very persistent mutated protein that is all but impossible to eradicate once it's in the soil.

5. SR-Mechead

SR-Mechead

Can they take soil samples to see if the ground is contaminated. One more question if the deer that had CWD was sick why did they kill all the other deer in the pin where they looking sick to.
    Bob

6. wally-eye

wally-eye Guest

There is NO viable test for CWD on LIVE deer thus the entire herd was killed and tested.................which is also why there is a "mandatory" deer check in for any deer taken from the surrounding townships during hunting season..

7. scott kavanaugh

scott kavanaugh

You know it's truly wonderful that all but a couple of these deer have already come back negative. I couldn't be happier about that!!!!!

However, doesn't this just scream. How the hell could a CWD contaminated deer be frolicking around with all these other deer. Eating corn, grain, hay, and drinking water together ( IN TIGHT CLOSE PROXIMITY)

AND ALL OF THOSE DEER HAD MANAGED TO EVADE CWD "THE VERY PERSITENT MUTATED PROTIEN" ONLY TO BE SAVED BY "THE PLAN".

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  8. GVDocHoliday

GVDocHoliday

No...it screams, we are f'ing lucky....so far.

In our instance, it was found in one deer...in an isolated facility. We still don't know if it's in the wild from fenceline contact or not.

Right now, that facility, has CWD. It'll be there for thousands of years. Regardless if no other deer have contracted the disease there, IT'S A VERY VERY SERIOUS DISEASE!!!! The DNR's plan, may have prevented any further spread of this disease...do the measures seem extreme? In the grand scope of things...they don't seem extreme enough.

Look at Wisconsin, Illinois, the western states...they have it in the wild. They will never ever get rid of CWD. They're deer heard is contaminated forever.

Compare what the DNR did here to cattle ranches and beef producers when a case of Mad Cow disease is located. Heck, if a case of MCD is to be found in the US, the entire country is on quarantine. A thorough inspection of records and animals are conducted to find every single animal in contact with the contaminated animal.

Look...isn't it safe to say that everyone who seems to be upset about the CWD plan that has been PUBLIC since 2002...Heck I still have the PDF I downloaded off of the DNR website back then...are just upset because they can no longer sit over their pile of carrots?? This isn't a thing against baiting...I use bait in some circumstances...minimal circumstances...but I still use it.

Somethings are bigger than baiting...I would say, the measures were put in place and executed perfectly by the DNR.

9. scott kavanaugh

scott kavanaugh

First off this isn't mad cow disease, it's CWD.

It is certainly fare to say that in 2002 the plan made a lot more sense. However, the biologist have had 6 years to to research and update that
    plan.

I still maintain that if CWD was spread so easily from one deer to the next while feeding together in close proximity. At least one of these penned deer should be contaminated.

No, I don't think "it's safe to say everyone that is upset about this is upset because they can't sit over their pile of carrots".

I think it's safe to say a lot of people are exstatic baiting is banned and CWD is just the means.

I think there is a overwhelming amount of hunters, farmers and business owners in the state that would wonder if your some sort of comic.:lol:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  10. GVDocHoliday

GVDocHoliday

Not a comic, just someone who knows what the heck they're talking about.

Number one, CWD IS mad cow disease, just a different animal.

I'd say right now that CWD is about the equivalent of Emerald Ash borer...EAB was not contained properly and now it's decimated the timber values of Ash in this state...and to prevent the spread of EAB, were basically decimating all standing Ash. CWD could very easily do the same to Whitetail...it's not something where you try to thread the needle with a management plan to a localized region, otherwise you wouldn't have done enough to contain and further on down the road we see a year long hunting season to thin the population out enough to where CWD only decimates half the heard, not the whole heard.

When CWD gets into the wild and there are literally no deer left to hunt, just how funny will those hunters and business owners think I am then? Farmers won't mind, they'll just take advantage of the lack of crop damage from deer, plant corn, and sell to an ethanol producer.

Also, the plan has been in place, the plan has been reviewed every year, and no changes needed to be made. Mind you this plan wasn't derived by just MI biologist...there was a lot of federal input in there as well, and they've actually had experience with CWD out west, so they know what kind of countermeasures needed to be in place.

I'm still giving major kudos to the DNR and MDA for executing the perfect plan flawlessly, and for keeping up on the sometime 2x,3x daily inspections for some facilities. Should no other deer come back positive after testing, that being the 8,000 that's planned to be tested this hunting season, and the 300 from the hot zone...then I believe the DNR and MDA should get a huge pat on the back.

By the way...here's a link to the response plan in case you want to actually research something:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/CWD_ContingencyPlan_41755_7.pdf

11. SR-Mechead

SR-Mechead

I think the DNR has done the right thing in stopping baiting so fast, I lived in Wis for 3 years and it got so bad over there that Joe hunter would go out and shoot a deer and his wife would not let him bring the meat home. They were scared that it had CWD. We do not need that in MIchigan. Let the DNR do there jobs and if it means no baiting for a year or forever so be it. I have baited and it fun to watch deer come in but if I have to sit on run ways like I did when I first started bow hunting that's alright to.
    Bob

12. terry

terry Banned

CWD LIVE TEST, and the political aspects or fallout of live testing for BSE in cattle in the USA

https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249787&page=2

TESTING OF LYMPHOID TISSUE OBTAINED BY RECTAL BIOPSY WAS APPROVED BY USDA AS AN OFFICIAL LIVE-ANIMAL TEST ON JANUARY 11, 2008. ...

PLEASE NOTE, (FIGURE 6), Scrapie Confirmed Cases in FY 2008 MAP, PA 3, 1**, Two cases-state of ID UNKNOWN, 1 case Nor98-like**

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_diseases/scrapie/downloads/monthly_scrapie_rpt.pps

Biopsy of the rectal mucosal tissue, a site readily sampled in the restrained or chemically immobilized deer, provided an accurate diagnosis in 83% of the infected deer.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/publications/publications.htm?SEQ_NO_115=218153

"The use of this new live test in the initial screening, surveillance, and monitoring of CWD will greatly aid in the management and control of the disease in the wild, as well as in captive settings," Dr. VerCauteren said.

http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/jul08/080715t.asp

“The key advantage to the rectal biopsy test is that it can be performed on live animals. Until now, there was no practical live test for CWD in elk,” said research wildlife biologist Dr. Kurt VerCauteren with APHIS’ Wildlife Services (WS) National Wildlife Research Center (NWRC). “With this technique we can detect CWD in animals not showing any signs of the disease and, thus, remove them so they are not left to infect other individuals and further contaminate the environment.”

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/newsroom/content/2008/05/cwdelktst.shtml

Greetings Michigan Hunters et al;

now, let's ponder a few things, shall we.

why quarantine a farm for 4 to 5 years due to an atypical TSE of foreign origin and due to potential serious animal and HUMAN health here in the USA there-from. then a few years later, discover the same damn TSE in the USA, home grown, and the same quarantine is not put in place. case in points, the mad sheep of mad river valley compared to those two atypical H-BSE cases in Texas and Alabama, and 6 cases to date of the atypical scrapie NOR-98 in six different states. why is the usda et al hiding behind some serum toxin act from decades ago, simply to NOT allow testing for BSE/TSE in the USA bovine i.e. Creekstone vs USDA ? and why is the same serum-toxin act not applying to the CWD testing in the States, with deer and elk? or does it? these are not trick questions, i really want to know. you cannot ignore these other TSEs, and the politics that surround them. well, the moderators can ;-) and that's their choice, and i will abide by whatever move they take. i am not trying to get off topic, but, these issues must not be ignored. that must not happen with CWD in Michigan. and remember, in Terms of TSE i.e. prion disease, Michigan has CWD, Scrapie, and the atypical Nor-98 scrapie, Michigan also has cattle$ remember, the first recorded case of scrapie in the US occurred on a ranch in Michigan in 1947, the year of the first TME outbreak in Wisconsin. riddle me this batman, riddle me this ???

snip...

Greetings again Michigan Hunters et al ;

i know how some don't like to get political, but cwd, mad cow disease (all strains), TME, Scrapie, and cjd i.e. human and animal TSE, that's all they are are political. bush has failed us terribly, clinton before him failed us terribly, and whomever gets in office next will do the same damn thing, in terms of human and animal TSE. it was said long ago ;

snip...

snip... see full text ;

Sunday, September 07, 2008

CWD LIVE TEST, and the political aspects or fallout of live testing for BSE in cattle in the USA

http://chronic-wasting-disease.blogspot.com/2008/09/cwd-live-test-and-political-aspects-or.html

THE FULL TEXT OF THE POLITICS THAT SURROUND MAD COW DISEASES, TSEs, was too long to post here, so i put it all in a handy blog for anyone interested, that wants to know some of the history and corruption in this decades long ordeal, and part of the reason, if not the very reasons we are where we are today in terms of human and animal TSE $$$

kindest regards,
    terry
    :dizzy::help:

13. .480

"When CWD gets into the wild and there are literally no deer left to hunt, just how funny will those hunters and business owners think I am then? "

Yup,
    Colorado has become a wasteland, no animals whatsoever to be hunted there since 1960.

cwd totally wiped out all of the deer.

Then why do thousands of people go to Colorado every fall with weapons. Do they have a great target range there or what?

14. scott kavanaugh

scott kavanaugh

Ya, I heard they pulled their root products too. :yikes:

Doc, actually people that sell drugs are actually like drug dealers. ;)

They don't arrest people (most of the time) for breaking stupid laws.:D

You didn't honestly mean seriously did you?

15. Bowhunter30

Bowhunter30

I think all Scott K was stating was the obvious - if this disease is passed from deer to deer being in close proximity and feeding, then how do none of the other deer have the disease...not one??

They even state in the response plan that DocHoliday provides a link to, that they are not sure how it is passed from deer to deer. This makes anyone with any kind of intelligence or common sense ask the same question.

I agree they have to take the precautions they did and applaud them for it, but I am a guy who likes looking over and analyzing the situation. If someone is telling me something is supposed to happen given a set of events and then that thing doesn't happen when all the conditions are perfect, wouldn't you ask the same question of "Why did that not happen?".

Fellas, just trying to think a little outside of the box and I think that is all Scott K was doing.