close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

CWD continues to spread Disease of cervids causing local population declines

Discussion in 'Wildlife Diseases' started by terry, Jul 26, 2017.

1. terry

terry

2. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer

If its gotten to that point seems little can be done without finding a cure .

3. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer

Just ran across this article which to me states the obvious reason why cwd is spread well outside known infected areas .Why our game managers do not pursue this is beyond me . They found out eons ago that vultures and scavengers were spreading anthrax in Africa after years of research .Why would we not test scavengers here to see if they harbor the prions . This stuff is not coming out of nowhere and is not being spread by bait piles and food plots .It is either coming from direct deposit on deer habitat or in commercial feeds that deer farmers buy .https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4964857/

4. ridgewalker

ridgewalker

Good article, Thirty pointer! It makes a lot of sense.

5. MSUFW07

MSUFW07

To address 30 pointer's point about predators/scavengers, its much easier (read-cheaper) for them to survey an animal that is readily available, predictable and a know possible carrier, deer. Then to try to call in and shoot a coyote for testing. It shouldn't come as a surprise that it is easier for the DNR/USDA/private company, who ever is pulling the trigger on possible CWD deer, to pull into a field turn on some night vision and shoot a half dozen deer as they stand there eating, then trying to call in a single or small group of predators. In this day in age of trying to make every dollar go further they are going to make choice of deer every time. Simple facts of economics right now. I think its an interesting all be it not surprising connection and probably worth a look.

In my opinion, CWD has been discovered in MI and it will never be gone from MI. We can try to "contain" it as much as possible but with deer moving across the landscape like they do, it will continue to crop up in places where it wasn't suspected. It seems that I remember seeing somewhere the familial relationships among the deer that have been CWD positive deer from the Meridian township core area and on the 6 or 7 that were positive all but 1 were genetically related. What that tells me is that they were all in close contact at some point in time and there for exposed to each other or a single patient zero so to speak. Then a young buck moves off to find a new territory and starts the new Eagle core area. Someday there will be a new core area that is yet to be discovered.

The best that Michigan's deer hunters can hope is that CWD is kept at the forefront of the DNR's mind because then they will keep money coming towards it. And hope it doesn't get shifted to the back burner like TB has since the rise of CWD.