CWD Bi-Weekly Updates

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Liver and Onions, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer Premium Member

Actually they wanted them slaughtered off way before CWD was in Michigan .CWD gives them a faster track to do it .

Uncle Boopoo and Sparky23 like this.
  2. motdean

motdean

Thanks. I guess I should proof what I type before I hit "post reply", huh?

Here is what was posted on the MIQDMA Facebook page at the end of 2019, so I assume that somebody is tracking the numbers much closer than waiting for the harvest report to come out.

upload_2020-1-16_7-30-24.png

I will caveat this with the final NRC determination on what constitutes "success" for increased harvest isn't a closed issue yet. There were at least some that were not happy with a meaningless ratio and wanted a firm number which is an actual increase in harvest, not an increase in the ratio.

3. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

I think the original comment was referencing the restricted tag.

A friend of mine killed a couple does in Ingham and was told the same thing -- "We met our quota and don't need additional tests". I think they said they would test if he demanded it, but he declined. I told the courier that delivered my last two heads to Lansing that I didn't want him to take no for an answer. I like free. Might not always be that way. Results are slow to return right now (slower than usual anyway). That was 1/3/20 and they have yet to be logged in.

jr28schalm, Sparky23 and motdean like this.
  4. Chappy410

Chappy410

What amazes me is that the DNR has set such low goals for testing in the CWD core and management areas.
    I live in one of the management areas and when I took my deer in to be tested was told they had already reached the goal for that DMU. I requested that my deer be tested any way and they did test it but continued to say it wasn't needed due to them not finding any positive deer in that DMU.
    It seems to me, they would set higher goals to have a better perspective of what is really happening with the heard.

NbyNW, Sparky23 and motdean like this.
  5. sniper

sniper

I always heard that small sample size is king for statisticians here in Michigan. Things that make you hmmm...

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

Sparky23 likes this.
  6. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

17000 test in cwd zone not enough??
    Lets see how far this has spread, time to start testing outside the zone. Id like to see 17000 tested in the NW13

spikekilla likes this.
  7. Justsayin

Justsayin

You're welcome. Still trying to keep track of this, but pretty sure the DNR doesn't want transparency so they keep making it more challenging. It seems like last year CWD update was presented at the January NRC, nothing so far this year.

Unfortunately, the only goal set was the arbitrary ratio and that is how DNR/NRC/QDMA/MUCC will measure their success. I've only seen updates from the Q-guys stating preliminary numbers show they achieved the ratio based goal. As you know this will likely end up being a reduction in harvest.

8. Justsayin

Justsayin

The Q-guys latest update. Not sure how anyone can claim success of a disease management strategy without any measure remotely related to the disease...

Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 10.04.50 AM.png

9. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

There nothing to see here, move along.

Uncle Boopoo and Dish7 like this.
  10. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Mods

Look out Clinton, Eaton, Barry, Allegan, Newago, Mecosta, Isabella, and Gratiot... (Bordering Counties). You will be the first losers.
    <----<<<

11. Piranha man

Piranha man

Why would you like 17k tested in NW13?

12. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

To see if cwd has spread to that area. Why not test for cwd in all if MI counties?

13. Piranha man

Piranha man

I agree ALL of Michigan counties, NOT just the NW13 like you stated! Trust me if just 1 positive was found in the 13 the anti mature buck guys would up their bashing of apr's.
    One wonders with more mature bucks in the 13 and APR's why the 1st and ALL cwd positives come from counties without APR's?????

Sparky23 and jr28schalm like this.
  14. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

Does the 13 have more mature bucks than the slp?

15. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hay?? Werent u the 1 who said cwd zones should be EAB? Wow that would be something if the nw13 was found to have cwd. Under your EAB it would be called the Deerless 13

stickbow shooter likes this.