CWD Bi-Weekly Updates

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Liver and Onions, Mar 6, 2016.

1. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

Both, as well as bTB zone. Private landowners will only kill so many deer regardless of the APR rules. Hunter satisfaction always overrides.

Joe Archer likes this.
  2. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Yep. Perfect. Bucks that need to travel to share their sperm end up dead in a hurry in Montcalm Co. Check the HPSM (Hunters per square mile) and hunter success %s from the Harvest Reports for the 5 year period from 2014-18 to get an idea on the deer kill in this area.
    Just curious, have you ever hunted eastern Montcalm or any other high deer density area in the SLP ?

L & O

3. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

Bucks protected by MAPRs will not die in a hurry. My area of Hillsdale does not have a high deer density

4. Waif

Waif

Sure makes me want to jump up and down and speculate....

Here's hoping the data gets narrowed down enough that we see differences in populations pre experiment ,and after by townships. Or at least East and West?

Figure a rough half already hunted bucks accordingly pre. Around me on private anyways.
    Have not heard of anyone who didn't target doe pre experiment that is targeting them now locally. (Both C.W.D. and A.P.R. reasoned increase. More to differentiate , iF A.P.R. influence data accuracy matters among those who participate due to it, and or C.W.D. concern or both.)
    There is an offset in one area nearby by those who hammered doe the past years....I don't know the reasoning beyond tag availability there though.

Quite a mix to sort through as to hunters attitudes pre/post , to confirm or deny anticipated attitude changes.
    We'll see. (?)

5. sniper

sniper

And you know for a fact that it’s in its infancy how Joe?? Wisconsin only started testing 17-18 yrs ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

Sparky23 and sureshot006 like this.
  6. sniper

sniper

Just let the humans that think they know what’s going on keep volleying back and forth which each other. They’ll figure out eventually.
    Epidemics are as old as earth.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

Piranha man and Sparky23 like this.
  7. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

I know that your area on the west side of Montcalm doesn't have nearly the deer population that the area 15 miles east of your property has. You also are in or very near the townships that have the 2-3% CWD test numbers. Double hammy. So I understand that you see the 2019 rule change differently than many of private land owners on the east side of the county.
    Thank goodness we didn't continue with the 2018 rules. There is just no way any Wildlife Biologists thought that was a good idea.

L & O

Tracker83 likes this.
  8. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

Im i reading this correctly?

The area with the highest prevalence rate has the lowest deer density?

9. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

It doesn't mean much, especially right now. Just started mowing them down recently. That is, unless it's been low for a decade or so.

10. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

In Montcalm, yes. You can look at the number of positives by township for Kent & Montcalm from '17 & '18 seasons on the DNR site. I'm pretty sure that I have provided that link and/or chart in the past.

L & O

11. Waif

Waif

I don't mean to only focus on my area. (It's all I know enough to make reasonable guesses on.)
    Trying not to expect minutia of areas within the zone. But wouldn't object to the best accuracy we can get out of the experiments data as far as what regulation motivates (ed) hunters the most.

The doe kill rates before and after the original C.W.D. plan.
    The A.P.R.'s effect on participation regarding bucks , and doe , since A.P.R. inception.

I'll be fine. And plenty of other hunters will as well among fewer deer. Been doing that.
    The state can measure participation rates increasing or decreasing better than my eyes locally. (?)
    But the more accurate the experiment can be measured , the better it can be expected to work the same way elsewhere , if start point conditions are duplicated.

12. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

Ive seen the numbers by township that u have posted, i appreciate that. I didnt realize certain townships had low dpsm & some with high

Liver and Onions likes this.
  13. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

I think some DNR Biologist would consider those Montcalm Twps with the lowest DPSM to be the appropriate deer numbers, not low numbers.

L & O

jr28schalm likes this.
  14. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Mods

Seeing prevalence graphs for Wisconsin counties going from less than 0.5% in 2002 to 56% in 2018 kinda screams infancy to me.
    <----<<<

NbyNW and FREEPOP like this.
  15. Tracker83

Tracker83 Premium Member

As an eastern Montcalm county property owner I agree 100%.

Liver and Onions likes this.