CWD Bi-Weekly Updates

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Liver and Onions, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

I guess it's no different than protecting the identity of farmers who's cattle herds have had bTB. Government secrecy.

Crawfish likes this.
  2. Crawfish

Crawfish Premium Member

Actually, I think it is worse when information is being withheld about a publicly owned deer herd vs. privately owned livestock.

Although, when a communicable disease is involved, there should be no secrets, public or private.

I don't hunt or have property in the management zone, I just believe the DNR needs to be transparent.

3. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Mods

Last year, a land owner could apply for a disease management permit. They had to give a list of shooters/hunters on the application. When deer were harvested they were tagged with the identification provided by DNR. The deer could be taken in immediately to a processor. Processors in the area were given specific instructions for butchering deer from the area. There were separate tags for the head, and body. Land owners notified the disease lab when deer were taken, they were to store the appropriately tagged heads, and the disease lab would pick up the heads from the land owners.
    <----<<<

4. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

5. Munsterlndr

Munsterlndr Cereal Baiter Premium Member

Chad Stewart mentioned at Thursdays NRC meeting that the only testing that they would be doing until next deer season is on road kill or suspected deer that are reported by the public and euthanized.

6. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

7. Crawfish

Crawfish Premium Member

So does this mean they are continuing to issue permits, but will not test the deer, or they have stopped issuing permits as well?

8. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

9. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

7/22 update. Now a total of 4966 tested in Mgt/Core area. 130 more than 4 weeks ago. Looks like 1236 road kills. 32 more. Looking back at the last numbers that I posted, I'm thinking my roadkill might have been wrong.

L & O

10. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

9/16 update: http://www.michigan.gov/emergingdiseases/0,4579,7-186-25806-357110--,00.html

5180 tested in Mgt/Core area. 214 more than about 2 months ago. 1284 were road kills, 48 more.
    8th positive is the big news.
    I still think a 2 week guns should have started today for ALL hunters. I also thought the same last year after the 2nd positive was confirmed. Very disappointed with the DNR slow motion approach.

L & O

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  11. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

I disagree a 4 month 24-7 gun season should have started as soon as #8 was confirmed.

12. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

13. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

With guys reporting that this area is over run with deer I'm surprised at the low numbers too. Either they are failing to turn in the deer for testing or they are passing up a bunch of opportunities to fill their freezers. Either way it's sad.