CWD Bi-Weekly Updates

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Liver and Onions, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

2. Crawfish

Crawfish Premium Member

Now at 7 positives according to DNR biologist that I heard at seminar tonight.

3. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Wow. I took a look at the DNR website and did not see any new announcements.
    I was disappointed at the DNR response from the get-go, especially after the 2nd positive. Every effort should have been made to kill every deer within a 10 mile radius of any positive by December 1st.
    What a mess. Probably thanks to some hunter who went out of state to kill a lousy buck to hang on his wall.

L & O

4. Crawfish

Crawfish Premium Member

He said there are two more you haven't heard about yet, making 7 total. Didn't say when they learned of the latest two.

5. Crawfish

Crawfish Premium Member

Also, he said that part of the problem has been landowners not helping with the deer kill, while also refusing to allow the USDA sharpshooters kill deer on their property.

6. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Who are all these unnamed sources?

7. Crawfish

Crawfish Premium Member

Just one source, and I didn't have his name in front of me. John Niewoonder.

12716344_708776825924516_3584180617128603449_o.jpg

8. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Seems like he would know for sure. It does seem odd that so few have been test in the last month that 2 more positives turn up.
    Were you surprised at how young N. Sanchez was ? He came out to my place last summer to take a look before I started the CFP process. Seemed very knowledgeable and was helpful.

L & O

9. Crawfish

Crawfish Premium Member

Yes! And I was surprised at the anti-hinge cutting rhetoric from the Conservation District! Guess it shows you they are really being paid to support the logging industry. I get that.

Glad to hear you had a good experience. I do intend to have him come out to my place as well. Wonder what he'll think when he sees all the trees cut and left to die without producing a dime. ;-)

10. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

http://www.michigan.gov/emergingdiseases/0,4579,7-186-25806-357110--,00.html

As reported above, 2 more positives. Only 82 more deer tested in the Management area.
    My approach last summer and fall would have been to try and kill every deer within a 10 mile radius of every positive after the 2nd positive was found.
    Not saying that would have stopped the spread this disease totally, but what mess now and maybe forever.

L & O

11. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

I wouldn't call it a mess just yet. Not saying we aren't headed there but only 0.1% infection rate is really low so far. I would like to see more killed but what more can we do? The landowners can get free tags. People aren't using them. Sharpshooters can't trespass. What other options do we have.

I am quite sure if you wanted to go to the area and shoot one the dnr would try to get you in touch with a farmer that would allow you.

Crawfish likes this.
  12. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

13. Crawfish

Crawfish Premium Member

I once saw a map showing the locations of first 3-4 positives. I can't seem to find anything like that online. Does anyone know of a map of the specific locations of positives? Or even a list of approximate addresses (township and section, or crossroads)? All I have seen in the press releases is county and township. I don't know why that would be kept from the public...

14. Munsterlndr

Munsterlndr Cereal Baiter Premium Member

A while back I had asked the DNR for a list of the township section numbers where the positives have been found and they said they would not provide that specific a location for each deer, giving only the township. Not sure why they won't but apparently without a Foia it's not going to be released.

Crawfish likes this.
  15. JVoutdoors

JVoutdoors

Does anyone know the protocols for shooting a deer under a permit in the impacted area? Assuming you must turn it in for testing. Then keep it if you want and will they notify the person if it comes back clean if they are concerned about eating it?? Or are they burying them all after testing??