Cwd article on outdoornews

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Groundsize, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Hunters Edge

Hunters Edge

All data suggest it would.

More hunters believe baiting increases harvest.

More hunters in that area would increase harvest. The main purpose of baiting is getting more hunters in that area to harvest deer.

Many studies show an increase harvest for those using bait.

Even if you did not use the studies for higher harvest using bait. Because several studies show different results. Just keep in mind all studies show an increase of hunters utilizing bait. Which equates to more hunters and ultimately higher deer harvest numbers. In the core area, instead of hunters hunting outside of the core area.

GreyGhostII likes this.
  2. swampbuck

swampbuck

I support the ban in the disease and surveilance zone, But I have no doubt that extending it to the rest of the state is a nod to the same group pushing APR's in the disease zone.

All about the health of the herd....LMAO

3. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

I see someone’s tin foil hat fell off ..

4. Groundsize

Groundsize

Ahh....but the one thing you don't know is could the prevalence be higher if the ban is removed?[/QUOTE]
    Yes sure it could and yes sure it couldn't we don't know. But when your looking at less then 1% prevalence here and 20-50% in a 4 county area in Wisconsin no one can know for sure.

5. Swampdog467

Swampdog467

Back home to Michigan, Van Buren and Iosco
  6. Swampdog467

Swampdog467

Back home to Michigan, Van Buren and Iosco
  7. rork

rork

Back to the original part of this thread.
    Evidence that the miss-folded PRNP protein (or even the just the core part after proteinase digestion) is the infectious agent in all TSE diseases, is not just a giant mountain, it is an entire mountain range. Prusiner and others won the nobel prize, in 1997, over 20 years ago. Thousands of scientists have probably done research in this area, for decades. But science can't stop one goofy guy from saying crazy stuff.

I have a special all natural cure for pancreatic cancer and it even tastes good. I only charge $100K for treatment.

8. finahol

finahol

Jackson when I have to...Barryton when I can!
    Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

9. rork

rork

That article is horrible. Just try and figure out where some of his claims come from (since the author sure doesn't say).
    1) "Prions aren’t present in 5 to 10 percent of all TSE-infected animals." I cannot confirm this. I think it's a garbling of some other fact, like that CJD in humans is sometimes genetic (for which the usual number is 5-10%). Those people have a mutation in the PRNP gene. It is screwed up in ways that are not quite like average CJD in humans. Maybe author doesn't know or understand that. If he does this is close to lying. Most CJD is not transmitted even. The T in TSE stands for transmissible.
    2) "Researchers are unable to grow prions in the lab" I think all that is saying is that we can't take a normal Prnp protein and make it miss-fold. Actually it has been done once, and made news recently. That it is very hard to get normal Prnp to miss-fold without prion does not surprise me in the least. If it was easy we'd all have CJD.
    3) "Prions have been found in some control samples (disease-free samples) that haven’t been exposed to an infectious agent. Amazingly, prion advocates call this process “spontaneous prion generation.”" The author is completely clueless about the CJD literature is all this proves. He is not qualified to write about it. Yes, a Prnp protein can miss-fold spontaneously. 85% of human CJD is sporadic, you were not infected. There are another 10% where you have a mutation that helps it happen.

One of Prusinor's most famous experiments (40 years ago) is that when you try and purify the infectious agent for scrapie, treating it with proteinases (chews up proteins) makes it work worse or not at all, but treating it with DNA destroying agents made it work better. He was trying to prove if it was a virus or not. It showed him it was likely a protein. That seemed crazy, and was a great day in science.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    finahol likes this.
  10. rork

rork

Joe Archer and Liver and Onions like this.
  11. mbrewer

mbrewer

rork likes this.
  12. Groundsize

Groundsize

Prove they do research that includes trial and clinical testing to find a cure for CWD! Bet you cant. Do you know how much that would cost? Would bankrupt the DNR on the first day. The DNR doesn't even do there own testing for CWD. They send that out to Michigan State labs.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  13. otcarcher

otcarcher Banned

Not to mention the fact that it is hard to figure out a cure for something the current state of science can't even explain.

14. rork

rork

Complete baloney. Either your understanding is flawed or you are just making stuff up. Bad journalism isn't helping, I admit.

15. otcarcher

otcarcher Banned

Baloney? Not hardly. Here's a recent quote from Dr. James Kroll in a magazine interview.

DJK: "We still do not even know by what mechanism prions are distorted and the exact causal factors or agents producing the disease."

BTW, I'm still waiting for your answer to my question. You aren't debating an uneducated nabob.

"Have you heard of Cochran's Sample Size Formula, or other sampling techniques for rare events? If so, can you explain why the math example in your previous post is completely irrelevant?"

Groundsize likes this.