Cwd article on outdoornews

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Groundsize, Feb 2, 2019.

1. motdean

motdean

Interesting.

What if Dr. Bastian is right?

….what if he is wrong?

I am not a fan of this type of statement, though: "I’m not talking about good ol’ boy opinions about the disease being spread, fostered or over-hyped by (pick one) natural resource departments, anti-hunters, car insurance companies or big agriculture." -Mike Schoonveld

I believe that they are doing the best that they can. My interpretation of what he is saying is that it is mostly a special interest driven disease.

Again, I would challenge him or anyone that believes that this is an over-hyped disease to go voluntarily eat and feed known CWD infected deer to their families. Betcha he won't. ;)

2. december1979

december1979

3. ridgewalker

ridgewalker

At least this Dr. does not have his head in a dark place trying to prove things that we already know do not work. I give him credit for exploring new ideas which I believe have some real rationale. It would be great if he can finally get a handle on this this disease. If he is headed in the right direction, it could have widespread ramifications.

4. Groundsize

Groundsize

Right or wrong it could be worth a try! As of right now the dnr isn’t doing anything except testing deer and giving out more doe tags.

Hunters Edge likes this.
  5. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

About the middle of the article:
    "The animals for the 1st 10 months of the infection(incubation period) appear normal then abruptly develop the clinical signs of CWD and die in a few weeks."

This does NOT register with me as something that agrees with what I have been reading regarding CWD.

L & O

Sparky23 likes this.
  6. motdean

motdean

I am not disputing his work at all.
    I am glad to see that people are pioneering research.

I am just not a fan of bashing the DNR. Think about it. Their role is not to do the research. They simply can't.

All they can do is try to limit the disease while researchers do their part.

Waif, Groundsize and Liver and Onions like this.
  7. BigW

BigW

Thanks for posting, Groundsize.
    This is science in progress. The more research teams working on this, the better it is for us hunters.
    Even if the LSU research doesn't pan out, it may spark other ideas that will.

Swampdog467 and Hunters Edge like this.
  8. Direwolfe

Direwolfe

One requirement for your work to be science is that it be reproducible by other scientists. Other scientists have so far been unable to duplicate Bastian's results, casting doubt on his hypothesis.

rork likes this.
  9. Groundsize

Groundsize

My issue is this...
    Any and all diseases or out breaks and the DNRs approach is the same.... kill deer increase season dates. It’s all the same.... all they care about is revenue and killing deer..... they love the new trucks and equipment they get for free from all the doe tags they sell let’s be honest.....
    Instead of continuing testing at 30 bucks a head why doesn’t the dnr do something different.... we all know there is cwd now in places ok.... but now what??? You guessed it more of the same testing next year!!! And for what??? To see if prevalence increased or not.... who cares.... what a waste..... let’s figure out a cure..... oh not the Michigan dnr ..... let’s test more and ban bait and increase seasons to reduce deer numbers..... because that works right? Give me a break...

10. motdean

motdean

Is the primary reason for testin to:

(a) eastablish prevalence rates

Or

(b) provide hunters with some level of comfort regarding the deer that they are eating?

11. Groundsize

Groundsize

Your just saying that because that’s all the dnr is doing! There is no fight to try and find a cure! This is the same plan the dnr used for Tb eradicating as well 20 years ago.

And to your second question people have been eating cwd positive deer for a long time. A scare tactic I feel the dnr is doing and will
    Only hurt themselves.

What the dnr should do! Make sure testing is done to try and find a cure. Show the public that science and study is being done. Attempt to ask for help
    By the best bio pharmaceutical companies with endless dollars to trial testing. Something..... other then test deer heads and give people tags..... which like I said does nothing in the end.

12. motdean

motdean

Would you consider their TB plan a success or failure?
    Given the length of time that it has been in Michigan, are you concerned that it is widespread, or where you hunt?

Have you attended any of the CWD meetings? The CWD Symposium? Did you watch it when it aired live? Do you think they brought up the fact that researchers are looking for a cure?
    Are you wiling to have your license price raised so that they can continue the promotional tour? Did you voluntarily make a donation to them to do such a thing?

The DNR has asked for help. They asked people to stop baiting, and to bring the population down in areas of disease (and shoot more yearling bucks by eliminating the restriction on the second tag).

Finally, would you knowingly eat a CWD infected deer? Would you feed it to your family?

If the answer is no or even maybe not, I would question your comment about scare tactics.

I will not eat a deer that has not been tested at this point.

If you want to talk about disingenuous, I started another thread about a comment made in Pa regarding CWD and a lawmaker's comment. Her comment was more about the revenue gained from hunting and trying to make it last as long as they can.

https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/threads/interesting-perspective-on-cwd-regulations.637099/

Brings to question both legislation that is being sought to bring back baiting as well as APR's in a disease zone. Both are strongly believed to be bad by our own biologists, but legislators and hunters supposedly know better.

DirtySteve likes this.
  13. Groundsize

Groundsize

A few responses. I agree with research. I also agree with some testing in new areas. I did not test any of my 5 deer I killed this year. I would eat a deer that wasn’t tested yes! I would not eat a cwd positive deer though so there is the answer. I’d eat if wasn’t tested yes.

I do not support the lifting of second restricted tag I do not support removal of bait.

I work to much to attend meetings in Lansing sorry. I suppord an increase in tag fees I do not donate to the dnr. I support a separate fee for research not testing of deer we all ready know are in the hot zone.

sniper and motdean like this.
  14. GreyGhostII

GreyGhostII

The DNR did/does research and should continue to do research!