CWD Announcement from Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by otcarcher, Feb 11, 2019.

1. otcarcher

otcarcher Banned

Many of us have spoken about the prion disease research that Frank Bastian has conducted. This Public Announcement video from PA is either going to be a Nobel Prize winning finding, or it's a scientific overstep money grab of epic proportions. I hope he wins the Nobel Prize.

2. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

Well it's a profit er I mean non profit organization or, if the presentation is any hint, disorganization... the monopoly guy could have at least straightened his sweet mustache lol.

I guess when I started playing the video I thought there would be some good information. Maybe I missed it because it was sort of hard to watch.

Spike sacrifice and DirtySteve like this.

3. A lot of potential good information on a lot of different diseases but how in the hell will they vaccinate all the wild deer I understand the captive deer but sorry I’m not buying they will eradicate it by vaccinating the wild deer.

mattawanhunter and Sparky23 like this.
  4. sureshot006

If a vaccine is possible, it would be just like vaccines for people. So long as a majority gets it, the prevalence goes down dramatically. Probably would have to be given through bait stations.

U of M Fan and Sparky23 like this.
  5. otcarcher

otcarcher Banned

That is my thought as well. Who would have thought a practice known to spread disease could actually prevent it as well? I'm cautiously optimistic. My biggest concern is that nobody else that I know of has been able to duplicate his results. That's a big red flag for me.

That said....his spiroplasm bacteria theory makes far more sense to me than just some rogue proteins randomly causing the disease. I still feel prions and prion aggregation are the "symptom" of the disease, not the cause. We will find out soon. Hopefully he is right.

6. I understand that but right now it seems a little far fetched to me But hey I ll be pessimistically optimistic

mattawanhunter and sureshot006 like this.
  7. sureshot006

Yea I feel the same.

mattawanhunter likes this.
  8. motdean

motdean

You hit the nail on the head with both of your posts.

I, too, hope that he wins the Nobel....probably more for the human potential than the CWD. However, even if his findings resulted in deer, it would still be Nobel worthy in my opinion.

A few points:

1. If this pans out, I wonder to what extent they will test that the vaccine is safe for human consumption.

2. Did they say that he has been testing this bacteria on other species? Didn't they say that they believe this is how it got transmitted to cervids from sheep? Boy, not sure that would be a good move.

3. If prions are not the carrier, would we have to care any more about prions in the earth? I am sure a lot of that would depend on whether the bacteria is present in the prions.

4. As opposed to the thought of some members on this site, they sure painted the disease as an end all for hunting. I hope that they aren't doing this as a means to only raise the cash needed for research. If this does not pan out, it could backfire on them.

5. I wonder what the test kit involves. Could it be a simple blood test? If so, that would really have me leary as to eating CWD tainted meat.

I do applaud both the research that he is performing and the agencies that are getting involved and do hope that there is an end to this, on both (most importantly) the human front, but also on the wildlife front.

One question OTC....Do you know if others tried to duplicate his work and failed?

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    U of M Fan, Groundsize and Sparky23 like this.
  9. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Mods

I would say that there is a good chance that this is fake news.
    If it were the same bacterium causing prion disease in deer, human, sheep, and other mammals; how could there be any host specificity?
    If his results are actually confirmed, it could be more likely that the bacterium isolated is an opportunist in relation to prion disease, and not the cause. An analogy to this extent would be strep (bacterial) throat infections occurring in individuals with viral infections. The strep is just an opportunist here as well.
    Throw in previous examples where deer became positive when reintroduced to a once incinerated environment, and it just does not seem likely that bacteria is the causative agent here.
    <----<<<

rork likes this.
  10. Musket

Musket Premium Member

Is it not possible that the bacteria can lay dormant until a host becomes available?

11. otcarcher

otcarcher Banned

Yes. Absolutely. Some bacteria can lay dormant even when in a host. (TB comes to mind.)

12. otcarcher

otcarcher Banned

1. Even if his findings are true, I think a vaccine is a long ways off.

2. He initially found it in other species, then was able to infect other species with the same bacteria. This type of bacteria is known to cause various other diseases as well.

3. I would think the misfolded protein aggregates would still be a concern, but I'm not certain.

4. That point increases my skepticism as well.

5. He's trying to single out the DNA of the particular spiroplasma responsible for the infection to develop a test that checks for it.

Yes, others have tried, and failed. Another point of reservation for me when other researchers cannot duplicate his testing.

U of M Fan and motdean like this.
  13. motdean

motdean

Thanks

otcarcher likes this.
  14. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

Maybe we could go from a total bait ban to requiring every hunter to bait.

Vaccine infused carrots. My next business venture.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

15. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

So I finally had a chance to sit down and watch the entire video.

I couldnt help but think if this bastion guy or whatever the doctors name is that discovered all this has really made this unbelievable discoveries......why on earth does he have these 4 bumbling idiots breaking the news?

The other thing I found strange was the projected timeline of the accomplishments. He listed a field test for hunters in 1 or 2 years and a vaccine for cwd in something like 2 or 3 years. Then a vaccine for ALS in 6-7 years. Do you really think if there was a shred of truth to this CWD and hunter field tests would take any type of priority over humanity diseases like ALS, alzheimers and Parkinson's etc..? There is a crap ton more money available out there for research on things like ALS.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

stickbow shooter and sureshot006 like this.