Custom Rifle?

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by ErieH2O, Nov 28, 2019.

1. ErieH2O

ErieH2O

Any of you guys have truly custom rifles. I have seen a couple at the range and one I would classify as a “show” rifle and the other was a “no BS” hunting rifle that was incredible accurate. The show rifle looked like it could be on a long range hunting show but the guy that owned it said his wife’s Kimber grouped better.

What advantages do you see with a custom rifle?

Must say have thought about going this route.

2. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

You get exactly what you want.

But you have to pay for it.

I have different rifles for different applications.

Custom rifles bring together the craftsmanship of many people, all of which you can enjoy when you hold it, when you look at it, And when you shoot it.

A custom Remington 700 action rifle, is just the entry point to the world of custom rifle’s.

thelastlemming and Rich44 like this.

3. Gil Martin

Gil Martin

It depends what you want, what is available and within your budget. My preference was to work with my local gunsmith to bring some rifles back into use. Often that merely required a new barrel, after market trigger, rebluing, new safety, drill and tap for scope bases or a replacement stock. I spent a lot of time in various gun shops looking over the used gun racks and found candidates that were easily refurbished into very nice and affordable custom rifles. All the best...
    Gil

Stubee likes this.
  4. Rich44

Rich44 Premium Member

Like Gamekeeper said you get exactly what you want, I have a few custom and semi custom rifles all built for a specific purpose.

I wanted a 450 Bushmaster bolt action but wasn't really interested in any of the factory offerings so I had one built to my spec, a custom action with much better tolerance's that a factory action, the barrel twist, length and weight I wanted a very good adjustable trigger and stock the correct length of pull for me and that's nice and stiff.

I also have quite a few Savage rifles that I put together myself which isn't a bad way to go you can save money by not using a Smith to put it together, there's not quite the selection of parts but pretty close, same goes for a Remington 700 better selection of triggers and you can always screw on a remage Barrel of your choice with a pretty small investment of tools much less than a Smith would charge you.

My 450, Stiller action Pacnor barrel McMillan stock and Jewel trigger.
    IMG_20191105_165959304-419x314.jpg

Attached Files:

Vortex, Stubee and Cat Power like this.
  5. ENCORE

ENCORE Premium Member

Custom..….. 45cal muzzleloader and yes its insanely accurate.

IMG_1759.JPG

IMG_1760.JPG

DennisDW, Vortex, jiggerjarvi and 5 others like this.
  6. ErieH2O

ErieH2O

Thank for the info fellas. Those are nice rigs, no deer is safe with you guys!

7. Zkovach1175

Zkovach1175 Premium Member

917E2BC3-8B12-4388-9308-7D2841FBE51B.jpeg
    I had this built before 450 bolts weren’t an option. I loved the round but wanted in a bolt so bad. What caliber are you thinking about in a custom? How far is your shot?

my 450 will out shoot any commercial 450 however at 100 yards I don’t think it would matter much on a deer however. Any mass produced 450 shoots well enough at effective ranges.

I do NOT regret investing in this rifle. It fits me so well it makes me not want to shoot any other guns.

8. ErieH2O

ErieH2O

For caliber was thinking 25-06, in typical weight hunting rifle with 24” barrel. Shots in MI are 250yds and under.

9. Zkovach1175

Zkovach1175 Premium Member

start making a list of all the specs you want. Then call a gunsmith and get a quote. Is suggest pierce eng out of Lansing

wolf76 and Rich44 like this.
  10. wolf76

wolf76

Advantages:. Guns are less finicky about what they will shoot. They fit you like a pair of well used hunting boots. They clean up easier. They are better in every sense of the word. But if you only shoot a box of per year and its close range hunting, there is no need.

It's like your scope, you get what you pay for. 90% of the accuracy comes from the barrel. Everything else compliments it.

I'm a big 308 fan for deer and related. The cartridge is the most drama free round I've ever loaded. Has the energy to perform on deer or elk out to 4-5 hundred and is easy in the recoil department.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Cat Power and Zkovach1175 like this.
  11. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

Used to have alot of customs.

I used to build my own. A good friend of mine had a gunsmith shop and he would let me do it and help me if I ran into a problem so obviously I saved alot of money.

I liked it cuz they were built for me. Some people don't realize how important the stock can be to the owner, just as an example.

Had a 458lott built on a Enfield action. Had a custom kevlar stock with a 8 oz. Mercury reducer installed. Dang rifle balanced beautifully. Not to many people could shoot it accurately, built it for me.

Downside is it can get expensive...lol. I'm a mauser guy and there wasn't a nice action without pitting that was safe from me.

Glad I kicked the habit here in MI.

Zkovach1175 likes this.
  12. buckwacker 48097

buckwacker 48097

I have a custom built 25-06 my aunt gave me after my uncle died. He and a buddy put this thing together with all the best parts they could get their hands on and tucked it into a blonde maple stock with curly maple end caps. First time I ever shot it I hit the target about 3'' right of the bull. I shot 2 more times and never touched paper. I thought " what the hell is wrong, this gun had all this money spent on it and it shoots like $#!(. Well, upon close inspection the original hole was just getting bigger! This thing is amazingly accurate but I live where I cant use it for deer hunting here in Michigan.
    On a side note, I am looking at a Begara B14-HMR in 450 and want to know if anyone else has one? I have it posted on another thread in the rifles portion of the forum.

13. KLR

KLR

My first semi custom I built on a Savage 110 action and added a CBI match barrel, Rifle Basics trigger, NSS recoil lug & barrel nut and it will shoot 1/2” groups at 100 and maintains less than MOA performance out to 500 yards.

I just ordered a Bighorn TL3 action and will start on my next build one it arrives.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Lov2hunt257

Lov2hunt257

I have a custom rifle in 25x284 caliber it shoots one hole groups at 100yds, and it should the price I paid for it and that why I paid what I did,it is my main hunting gun its the only custom I will ever own !!!

15. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

20201003_173315.jpg

My old 458lott. 1917 action. 18" bbl, Kevlar stock.

Wish I still had it

Stubee and shaffe48b like this.