Crossbows now approved for hunting.

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by ST8, Mar 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anonymous7242016

anonymous7242016 Banned

First its funny how you only Quote that part of my post. Typical of how things get turned around by those who only look for the negativity of things in life. Seems most of your posts that I have run across lately have the same tone as this one.:rolleyes:
    I shoot a 60# compund (10 years old) with carbon arrows, it shoots about 280 fps. I use muzzy 100grain 3 blade broadheads. I have a trophy hunter drop away rest and a fletch hunter release that is also about 10 or 12 years old. I use a peep site and my sights I use are a 5 pin tru glo sight.
    Yes I use more technology that the "true " traditional archer, but IMO it still requires more practice than a crossbow. I hunt with a guy who uses a crossbow. He sighted it in and was shooting 4 inch groups at 25 yards within a half hour. First time he shot the crossbow in 4 years. It was an older Xbow and IMO a piece of junk compared to the newer ones. He never took another shot with that bow again until he killed a doe with it 3 weeks later. That to me is proof that it does not require the pratice that any verticle bow does to shoot well. The mechanics of proper form are not as important with the xbow. Doesn't mean it is easier to hunt with just easier to shoot.

2. anonymous7242016

anonymous7242016 Banned

Yes it is. And please don't try to make me look like I am against the new rules on xbows, because I am not. Just not a big fan of xbows thats all.:)
    I truly don't think the new rules will effect me at all in the up coming season.

3. trout

trout

I'm glad they did make them legal to use etc.
    One of these days the sportspeople in Michigan will be forced to realize they are all brothers in the woods.
    A deer camp is a deer camp.
    What people use to kill a deer is no biz of mine.
    You'd better be worried about bigger issues if you want to keep your hunting traditions alive.

4. November Sunrise

November Sunrise

Great post Trout!

5. Liv4Huntin'

Liv4Huntin'

bnb: Not trying to 'make you look' like anything ... you have already pointed out that 'the previous work' will be greatly appreciated IF you ever have to, in the future, go to using a crossbow. Merely pointing out, especially for the benefit of anyone still with negative views (which I don't see you as having) of the crossbow, that there is a choice -- to USE or NOT use one. It is now the CHOICE of the user.

Sorry for any misunderstanding .... I wasn't meaning to 'dis' you or your post.
    :coolgleam
    ~m~

6. Non Typical

Non Typical

So you are not a big fan or you don't want to use one. That is ok, I want this to happen without problems. I don't want to have a muzzle loader walking around my stand but I get them, and I don't get to upset about the idea. Now for those that don't know that a xbow is indeed a archers tool, just like your compound, or recurve,or longbow, need to look in the dictionary under Arbalist.....an archer :) who shoots a crossbow! For some this will mean that the dictionary is wrong, my question is what is wrong with you!!!:dizzy:

7. marty

marty

Kurt is that you???:yikes:

8. bmd1023

bmd1023

im sorry but does it really matter if someone uses a crossbow? Is it really any diff than using a muzzleloader in shotgun zone. to each thier own i say. people need to quit bit$%ing about it. just my thoughts.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  9. skulldugary

skulldugary

I just don't see what all of the hoopla is all about...in the end are'nt they all(long,recurve,self,crossbow) legal and ethical management tools.No one is getting anyone down and forcing them to use a cross bow.It's a matter now of choise and up to each archer what they choose to hunt with.
    I seen a post about making shroom pickers,hikers and bikers pay to put more monies into the DNR,seems like they are already outdoors people and from what I gather most are hunters,fisher persons,camp ground users,boat launch users(ect.) that have already paid fees of one kind or another so that kind of puts the kabosh on the users fee.

10. plugger

plugger Premium Member

I hope we dont see alot of people mushroom hunting with crossbows!

11. sniper's mojo

sniper's mojo

Some of the states referred to like Ohio that have full inclsuion for crossbows for archery season also have there gun season outside of the rut and a one buck regardless of weapon rule. Ironically they have a better overall buck age structure than Michigan.:dizzy: That is why the U.S. is great, if you don't like the way your state manages a recreational activity such as deer hunting then you can go hunt in a differnt one that does. I saw substantially more and larger bucks in 5 days of hunting in Ohio last year than I did during the entire Michigan bow season last year. No I did not go to a ranch with antler restrictions or a guided pay to hunt deal either, just some private land in the southern part of that state. The only thing constant is change, at least we have the freedom to travel to other states who's rules more fit our style of hunting and goals. I will be spending the rut in Kansas this year but who knows a decade or two down the road Kansas may become a kill anything with an inch of bone on its head kind of state and we will give you another buck tag to boot and Michigan will be the one managing for a healthier age structure in the herd and my time and money will again be spent here.:lol:

12. 00Buck

00Buck Guest

I would never think of hunting shroom's with a crossbow. use at least a 44 mag handgun, or a 308 long gun.

gotta watch those shrooms-- they sneak up on ya when you least expect them. and talk about dangerous. always be safe and have a backup hunter with you!

13. Blood Dog

Blood Dog

Maybe this new Crossbow rule is for all the guys that think they can't bowhunt without bait (aka Master Baiters). It is a shame that many in this state think they can't kill a deer with a bow with out a pile to stare at all night.:sad:

14. onenationhere

onenationhere

Here we go with the baiting crap again,ugggh

15. Whit1

Whit1 Premium Member

Nope! Not in here. That discussion can take place somewhere else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.