Crossbows now approved for hunting.

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by ST8, Mar 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ST8

ST8

I am reading in my South Bend Tribune sunday paper;

New regulations approved by the MI DNR commission last week expand the legal use of crossbows. Crossbows may now be used by anyone age 50 or older during the Oct.1 - Nov. 14 deer season STATEWIDE; by ANY hunter age 12 or older during ANY hunting season in Zone 3 of southern Michigan, including the bow hunting season; and during ANY SEASON in which a firearm may be used, for both big and small game statewide.

The DNR also limits the velocity of the crossbow to those weapons that shoot no more than 350 fps. A crossbow stamp will be required in addition to hunting licenses for those using the crossbows. Statmps will be available March 15 at license retailers. The stamp which is FREE, will help the DNR monitor crossbow hunting over the next three years.

So there you have it. I have never tried the crossbow and have yet to master my PSE. I think I will wait before I make that jump. At least until next year when I hit the big 50!! Can you even recover the arrows at the speed??? Seems like the arrows would go through the deer and out of sight into the ground at that speed.

Just spreading the news. No, I did not check the DNR web site just what I am reading this Sunday morning. Good luck to all!!

2. thunder river outfitters

thunder river outfitters

i guess i am surprised they did this, but then again it doesnt. its just the states way of generating more licenses for more money.
    i believe there is alot of people that hang up their archery equipment because they can no longer pull their bow back....which is fine...they shouldnt make i that easy. i dont know how i really feel about this till we have a full season under our belts. michigan has the highest number of hunters, this will only add to it i guess.

3. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

There are quite a few threads and posts on the new crossbow rules in the Archery and Crossbow forum.

4. anon2192012

anon2192012

It is pretty sad that we have come down to this. A crossbow is not archery equipment. Anyone to lazy or not willing to commit the time to master a bow and arrow(except those with disabilities) should have to wait until the gun season to deer hunt. It always took a little more skill to bowhunt which is one of the reasons I would rather take to the woods with my stick and string, but this is no longer the case. Next thing you know they will include all primative weapons to be used during all seasons including muzzleloaders.

5. flinch

flinch

It will ruin archery season! Oh wait, compounds already did that.

6. Munsterlndr

Munsterlndr Cereal Baiter Premium Member

You do realize that close to 100,000 archery hunters have hung up their bows during the last ten years in Michigan? That Ohio now has as many hunters participating in archery season as Michigan does? That the Michigan DNR is facing a $10 million dollar shortfall in revenue this year? That the 15 new CO's who went through training are not going to be hired because of budget constraints?

So which DNR services would you like to see them get rid of? Fewer CO's? Maybe close a few public access sites on some of our inland lakes? Put the brakes on acquiring any additional public hunting lands? Maybe close down the few remaining public shooting ranges?

I'm not intending to be critical of your reasoning but the fact of the matter is, hunter numbers in Michigan are declining rapidly and DNR funding is directly tied to hunter numbers. The DNR is trying to increase hunter opportunity and increase the number of hunters that participate in hunting and the shooting sports, in hopes of being able to keep providing the services that they have in the past.

It's not a zero sum game, if we continue to lose more hunters, we will continue to lose more services from the DNR. So to those of you who are opposed to crossbows, what's your solution to recruit and retain more hunters or increase revenue? An expanded firearms season?, Increased bag limits on Bucks? License fee increases? What's your solution?

7. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

:yeahthat:
    Crossbow season is separate from archery season, it has it's own rules; the only similarity is the dates.

It's too bad that crossbow hunters will now have to share their woods with the most selfish group of sportsman in our state. :lol:

8. huntingfool43

huntingfool43

:yeahthat:

9. oldrank

oldrank

I am looking forward to buying my new crossbow and all the little toys already........It will put a little money into the economy....I only see this as a good thing and cant wait to get in the woods this fall.......the weapon should not matter as much as the tag system when it comes to noticing any difference in the deer herd from crossbow hunters. They can still only kill 2 bucks.......this will have no negative impact at all on deer hunting in Michigan.

10. anonymous7242016

anonymous7242016 Banned

Ya I think our management system has more effect on the hunting than the weapons that are used. I don't have any desire to put my bow down but I don't think crossbows will be tooo big of a deal. I guess we will see.

11. anonymous7242016

anonymous7242016 Banned

Maybe if the mushroom hunters, hikers, mt. bikers, etc, that use the public land chipped in more money like the hunters and fisherman the DNR would be in better shape. I am not against crossbows but it seems that hunters and fisherman flip the majority of the bill the DNR needs for their services. Because we are taking or using the states resources for recreational use we need to buy tags, but other than a daily or seasonal parking pass (state park stickers too), the above mentioned do not contribute any more. Some hunters and fisherman have to buy the passes to park, along with licenses to hunt or fish. No license is needed to pick mushrooms or hike.
    This may not solve the finacial issues of the DNR, but IMO it would take some of the pressure and burden off the hunting and fishing community.

12. Munsterlndr

Munsterlndr Cereal Baiter Premium Member

Ok, you provided some alternative sources for funding, I applaud that. Now, who is going to lobby for those changes to be made? Are you going to network with a bunch of other guys and get the ball rolling on these initiatives? Are you going to sit down with legislators and take time off from work to attend NRC meetings to push for these changes? If so, I will continue to applaud your efforts. If you are just going to throw out suggestions (this is not directed at you B&B) and hope that the DNR jumps on them and puts them into place, then my guess is that we are going to be in the same financial mess several years from now. Whether or not you agree with crossbows, at least the proponents of them got off our collective ****'s and lobbied for a change that has the potential to create new revenue streams and reverse the trend of declining hunter numbers. I'd challenge those who don't want crossbows to do the same, get involved and get some measures enacted so that the DNR is not chronically underfunded.

13. anonymous7242016

anonymous7242016 Banned

I am full of ideas but you are right, I am not the guy who is going to go the distance to try to make it happen. Due to just not being able to really make time and not having the know how. As for the crossbow guys who did, I applaud them for their efforts too, even though I have no desire to use a crossbow and not really a big fan of crossbows being allowed during archery season, but one day I may not be able to pull a bow back and the hard work of those before me will be greatly appreciated. I would hate to have to quit hunting the archery season.

My reason for not being a big fan of crossbows is only because I find that the extra effort one has to or should put into becoming a good shot with a vertical bow makes the kill a bit more rewarding. Thus the same reason I am not a big gun hunting fan, even though I still get out in the woods with a gun.

14. flinch

flinch

So we can assume then that you don't use a compound or any of the fancy sites, trigger releases, expanding broadheads, and carbon arrows for the same reasons, correct? Or have you decided that your level of technology is rewarding, but no further?

15. Liv4Huntin'

Liv4Huntin'

And isn't it GRAND that you NOW have the CHOICE????
    ~m~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.