Crossbow question (dumb?)

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by huntallday, Mar 14, 2009.

1. huntallday

huntallday

Okay, I will be 50 for the 2010 season, which gives me a year to shop for a xbow. One question I have is how do you unload the thing? Do you just shoot it in the ground? That would tear up a lot of broad heads. Is that another reason to purchase one of those cranking cocking devices? I hope this question is not as dumb as I am afraid it might be. :)

2. ridgewalker

ridgewalker

The only safe way to uncock a crossbow is to shoot an old bolt into a target, stump, or some such thing.

3. Riva

Riva Banned

A lonesome area, other Kansans call "out there".
    Keep one arrow in your quiver just for discharging the crossbow. Use a field point and simply shoot it into the ground when your done hunting.

Hint, at night, do this near your vehicle with the lights on and, in short grass. Sometimes when shooting into the ground the arrow goes entirely into the ground making it real hard to find and even harder to pull out. Firsthand experience here.;)

4. Munsterlndr

Munsterlndr Cereal Baiter Premium Member

Most guys discharge the crossbow with a blunt arrow carried for that purpose. Some of the higher end newer crossbows come with a de-cocking mechanism that allows you to accomplish this without firing it.

5. beervo2

beervo2

You got that right Riva....:lol::lol:

I go buy a cheap aluminum one for that purpose only, and if there are any small rocks buried I am sure you'll hit one...;)

6. Liv4Huntin'

Liv4Huntin'

If you pick up one of those heads used for small game and birds (a 'blunt' .. different from a field point) the bolt/arrow won't penetrate the ground quite so deeply, either. Also, to not damage your crossbow, be sure to use an arrow that meets the min. weight requirement to be shot from your crossbow (I use an old 2219 'slightly dented' (but still safe to shoot) long aluminum. Too under-weight an arrow can be the equivilant of dry-firing....NOT GOOD.
    ~m~

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  7. timbrhuntr

timbrhuntr

This depends on what type of crossbow you have. I have an excaliber and my hunting buddies all have 10 points. Can't speak for uncocking the 10 point I know it can be done with out shooting them as my buddies do. As for the excaliber I have never shot it to uncock it. You can use your hands to pull up on the string and your thumb to release the trigger. Thats a tough one and you need to know where your fingers are. Easier is to use the cocking string aid to uncock it. This is quite simple and probably safer than discharging it. Excaliber has a web site with several videos showing how to use their products. Oh yah, just don't forget to take the arrow off the rail before doing this.:D

8. TOW

TOW

I did that ONCE with an Exomag.. I can now be a safe cracker as all my finger prints are gone..

Best to shoot it in a target. I wait until I get home and shoot it in the target in the back yard.

9. hunting man

hunting man

The cocking string is what I use. I dont want to shoot mine into the ground every time I hunt it.
    The wind-up cocking device is junk. Broke two nearly the first week using them.

10. MERGANZER

MERGANZER

Keep in mind that the crossbow I would assume needs to be unloaded when shooting hours expire. You may want to unload the thing at the stand site to avoid any issues with LEO's.

Ganzer

11. welcometomyworld

welcometomyworld

I unload mine with my string cocker all the time. If you have someone with you to pull the trigger it's a little easier. Just keep your head in the game when by yourself.

12. timbrhuntr

timbrhuntr

Tow,

Although I am comfortable both cocking and uncocking by hand I agree with you on the hand uncocking way not being for everyone. Man you had better hang on. But with the string aid it is really easy and safe as the string aid does all the work.

13. Liv4Huntin'

Liv4Huntin'

Please keep ONE thing in mind....... S A F E T Y !

I'd definitely go with the manufacturer's recommendations on this issue.
    ~m~

14. welcometomyworld

welcometomyworld

Hey Riva, they have these at Sportmans Guide, when they hit the grass they stand up, much easier to find and are great for small game hunting. [​IMG] Judo point.

15. TOW

TOW

There is a difference in "unloading and "uncocking".

You can "unload" a crossbow by merely removing the arrow.