close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cross Eye Dominance

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by SmokeShot, Jan 13, 2018 at 4:30 PM.

1. SmokeShot

SmokeShot

A couple of years ago I had my six year old daughter conduct the test to see which of her eyes was dominant. At that time, when I asked what she saw while performing the test I determined she was right eye dominant and I knew she was already right handed so I didn't think I had to worry about which way to have her learn to shoot. Fast forward to last night. I was cleaning my muzzleloader and showed her how to properly shoulder the rifle and look through the scope. I noticed she kept trying to lift her head over the stock and look through the scope with her left eye. I corrected her a couple of times and she kept doing it. I then had her conduct the eye dominance test again and we determined she is in fact left eye dominant. She has only shot an air rifle and a .22 a few times with open sights so she doesn't have muscle memory developed shooting right. I did some research on the internet and found different opinions on which way to teach her to shoot. I was also planning on getting her a compound bow this year and I am a little concerned that she will struggle with pulling it back while using her non dominant arm. What are some of your guys thoughts on what coarse of action would be best?

2. Waif

Waif Premium Member

My daughter uses dominant eye to sight with.
    Yes that means using the opposite hand weapon than I was trying to get her started with.
    Was more confusing to me than it was for her after figuring it out. More a relief for her....

SmokeShot and jr28schalm like this.

3. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

My wife is left handed and right eye dominate. Her parents bought her left hand bows and guns. When we meet I noticed how much she was struggling to shoot the bow and guns accurately. We switched to a right hand bow and guns and night and day difference. Even though she is shooting using the non dominate hand she said it feels much more natural

4. Scottygvsu

Scottygvsu

I had the exact same situation with my nephew. He's right handed, left eye dominant. From his first B.B. gun he always shouldered it left handed. I didn't try to convince him otherwise. If he was hitting the target consistently, I didn't care if he held the gun upside down. He shoots his bow left handed also. I can't imagine trying to pull my bow back left handed, I cant drink out of a glass with my left hand.
    Point is, don't fight it. If she's more comfortable shooting left handed, let her. Buy a cheapo ambidextrous bow and see which way she likes to shoot it. Then you'll know what bow to invest in.

5. Swampdog467

Swampdog467

I am right handed, left eye dominant, somehow naturally picked up shooting left handed. My youngest daughter is left handed, right eye dominant, shoots right handed, bow and gun. We both can shoot either handed but more comfortable and accurate with the dominant eye.
    My wife and I are both 4H shooting sports instructors, we teach kids to shoot with the dominant eye unless it is just too difficult for them to control the muscles correctly.
    About 10% of people are left handed, but about 1/3 of people are left eye dominant. It is not as difficult as it used to be to find left handed bows, guns are still less common but not a big deal, I've always shot right handed guns just fine.
    Our big problem is my right handed, right eye dominant?? wife seems to be changing to left eye dominance because her right eye is getting weaker and she's too stubborn to get glasses:confused::confused:. Not sure if there's an easy fix here... Our oldest daughter (28) seems to be going through the same thing. We have had a few kids in our 4H group that have switched eye dominance anywhere between 6 and 10 yrs old. We generally try to see which way they shoot better and encourage them in that direction.

SmokeShot and FullQuiver like this.
  6. tony_1

tony_1

I’m left eye dominant. I learn to shoot s rifle left handed. Over the years I’ve been able to adjust and shoot either handed. A bow is very difficult as I’ve struggled until I learn d to shoot with both eyes open. Practice and repetition was very important

Old lund, SmokeShot and Swampdog467 like this.
  7. Swampdog467

Swampdog467

Smoke, I just noticed you are from Berrien county, I know several of the 4H instructors there, really good group. If you are at all interested in having her join a club and get in some regular practice PM me and I will get you their contact info or you could also find them on Facebook.

Namrock, SmokeShot and motdean like this.
  8. HORNSnHOOKS

HORNSnHOOKS

Well I’m all mixed up. I am and right and left handed. I shoot guns and bows right handed. I write left handed. But I’m left eye dominant. I say do what is comfortable. Never had a problem with a gun or a bow. Pistol takes practice. My dad is a lefty maybe he messed me up as a youngster. Lol. My boy is also a lefty. It’s funny all his life coaches and teachers try to change him. But I’d say it’s different for everyone but no matter what your doing the more you practice the better you’ll be. But teaching a kid it is definitely something to you need to know as far as right or left eye dominant and which hand is dominant. Good luck.

SmokeShot likes this.
  9. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

When I was a 4H instructor we would try to have new shooters, which many of our's were, shoot off the dominant eye. The biggest problem we ran into was parents, mainly the fathers, wanting to "force" their children to shoot either, right or left, handed. The parents who had the greatest problems seemed to be those who's kids were right handed and left eyed.

SmokeShot and Swampdog467 like this.
  10. FullQuiver

FullQuiver

Since she should be shooting with glasses, try putting some tape on the lens over her left eye.. Just a small piece of scotch tape will do.. Her brain will switch to the non encumbered eye automatically... I am left eye dominant and learned to shoot left and right handed.. My father a WWII vet said learning to shoot with both saved his life...

She can also just close her left eye when she shoots right handed.. However I believe learning to shoot with both hands is the best way.. jmho. Either way make it fun, not forced and shoot often and lots with her... I would suggest that lots of soup cans need to be perforated in this endeavor...

SmokeShot and Swampdog467 like this.
  11. Swampdog467

Swampdog467

We have had the same experience. The kids who had the most trouble were usually right handed, left eye dominant boys who had been already been shooting right handed for awhile because their right handed fathers insisted that was the "right way". It's painful to watch kids struggle just because they are forced to do something one way that could be so much easier another. We had one kid who was afraid to shoot left handed even though he did better because his dad said he had to shoot right. We did have a couple who were left eye dominant but shot ok right handed simply because they were so right handed it was just too awkward to even hold the gun left handed. You really just have to figure out what works best for the individual.

With that in mind, I would like to commend the OP for being open minded and willing to find out what is right for their child.

FullQuiver, SmokeShot and DecoySlayer like this.
  12. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

The best example of teaching a cross eyed dominant child took place one summer where our York County, PA, 4H had a week long shooting sports camp at Hickory Run State Park, in PA.

One of my assigned students, in the 8 to 9 year old bracket, was a little girl. We were shooting air rifles, indoors, at 33'. We had the traps on adjustable shelves and a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood behind it.

She had never shoot anything when she cam to the camp, which was a plus, there were no bad habits to try to teach out of her. We had the "newbies", sitting on chairs, with gun rests etc.

She fired her first shot, right handed, missed the trap, missed the plywood and hit up near where the wall and ceiling joined.

The first thing I did, after I got here to stop crying, was check for eye dominance. She was left eyed.

Myself, and another instructor, taught her to shoot left handed and by Friday she took first place in her age group.

13. SmokeShot

SmokeShot

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

14. sparky18181

sparky18181

I am left eye dominate but right handed. I always shot rifles, shotguns and bows left handed but when it came to shooting a handgun, I used my right hand and sighted with my left eye. It was always difficult for me to get my head in the right position to shoot the handgun, so eventually I just began using my right eye while shooting handguns. My advice to you is to let her shoot whichever way is most comfortable for her but make sure you show her what the options are so she can make an informed choice.

SmokeShot likes this.
  15. BigW

BigW

Interesting read here and the solutions offered. My girl is right handed and left eye dominant. My boy is left handed so we have both right and left handed bows. She shoots right handed. Every once and a while she sails and arrow off target. Oops, knocks another arrow and keeps going. We try the left handed bow every once and a while and the her muscles just seem better suited to right handed shooting. Definitely takes some concentration on her part, but I gave her both options and let her pick which bow was more comfortable.
    If you're in the mid Michigan area, you could take her to a Mid Michee bow open house (Google it) and have her try both. Heck, pm me and you can bring her to try both at my place.

Walt Donaldson and SmokeShot like this.