Crosman Nitro Venom .22 Cal.

Discussion in 'Air Guns' started by Hip-Wader, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Hip-Wader

Hip-Wader

I have a the nitro venom .22 cal. I am shooting Crosman hollow point 14.3 gr. Question: That bullet doesn't seem to have the knock down power for ground hogs. I am shooting 50 to 80 feet on the average. The only semi good kill shot is a profile shot in the ear vicinity. Any suggestions on other bullets or any other suggestions.

2. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mod

Sounds normal to me

ESOX and Quack Addict like this.

3. mjh4

mjh4

Rimfire .22 with sub sonics. Quiet and deadly on all varmints.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

4. Quack Addict

Quack Addict

Ground hogs are actually pretty tough. Except for this year I have always had at least a couple to take care of around the house. The only ones that bang flopped were with a 22 and CCI mini mags or a 223. Shot one a couple years ago with a CCI Quiet and he made it under a brush pile in our yard before giving up the ghost, then I got to listen to my wife complain for a couple weeks after.

I have a similar pellet rifle in 22 cal and shoot the same pellets. Used it to dispatch a problem raccoon from point bank in a trap earlier this year and let's just say I will be using a real 22 to do that next time.

capper, wpmisport and Jeffish74 like this.
  5. Jeffish74

Jeffish74

Between a friend and I we have several pellet guns in .22. We have shot many styles and pellet weights. When it comes to most small game it’s not enough gun to kill quickly or at all. Rabbits and birds it takes care of but all the other animals would prefer you shot them with a .22 rifle.

ESOX and sureshot006 like this.
  6. Hip-Wader

Hip-Wader

From all the bullets I have tried I sorta of already knew that there wasn't a preferred bullet to use. But I was hoping there was 1 out there. The only way to get them ground hogs is with a perfect profile shot around the ear location. I would love to pull out my trusty sears craftsman .22 cal. bolt action. But I live within the city limits and Oakland County Sheriff is within a mile of my house.

7. Quack Addict

Quack Addict

If that's the case you may want to research what platforms work well specifically launching heavy pellets. You will want to keep them subsonic at the muzzle to prevent the pellets from experiencing the destabilizing effects of subsonic transition. Not sure how susceptible weight-forward airgun pellets are to that effect but it is a big player in accuracy for weight-back pointy projectiles that go subsonic at long range.

H&N makes some high quality, heavy pellets but we couldn't get them to group well from my son's Gamo.

In the grand scheme, subsonic transition may not make much difference at the distances you are interested in. But it definitely won't help.

8. Lightfoot

Lightfoot

That gun is already subsonic. The 950 fps advertised is likely with a light pellet. You can try increasing pellet weight, JSB ultra shocks at 25.39g on the extreme end, look interesting.

Big critter for a .22 springer. Sureshot006 is probably spot on. Play sniper and put it in their ear.

sureshot006 likes this.