Creek Chub Help

Discussion in 'South West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by docman90, May 15, 2018.

1. docman90

docman90

I have read past post on this forum about creek chubs and still have not had any luck finding them. I would like to use them as bait for other fish but am having trouble finding spots on local streams for Chubs. All the ones I have fished do not have any in the area.

Thank you for the help and advice.

2. strmanglr

strmanglr

I usually find them in drains/ v small creeks. These places aren't cold enough to hold trout. Too small for people to fish for gamefish usually.

I find small bluegill work better than chubs.

Vicious Fishous and summer_doug like this.

3. Honyuk96

Honyuk96

You are ertainly fishing the wrong spots if you can't find chubs

Sparky23 and summer_doug like this.
  4. PunyTrout

PunyTrout

Just switch your focus to fishing for trout. Then, you'll catch nothing but chubs...

Seriously, try fishing some smaller, marginal streams. Use small inline spinners. Or, worms. The worst that will happen is you'll catch some trout as a by-catch in your quest for chubs.

Sparky23, Botiz, zig and 8 others like this.
  5. Trout King

Trout King

I see you are from GR. Most of the feeders have a lot of chubs. Worms work well.

6. mjh4

mjh4

Yeah, just about every small stream I've fished in I've caught chubs at least in SW Michigan ( just use red worms or any kinda live bait and you should catch all you want ).

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

7. docman90

docman90

Thank you for the help I have hit one unmentionable stream near my house at a public park with crystal clear water and got nothing so that is why I asked for help here.

8. Trout King

Trout King

I might add, try fishing the "frog water" as sometimes they don't like heavy flows.

nichola8 likes this.
  9. riverbob

riverbob Premium Member

if u can't get chubs for bait, try gobies, the grand is full of them, i have caught them up to about 8" long,they work on catfish, bass, n eyes. good luck go gitum

10. Trout King

Trout King

Not so sure that is legal or a good idea to spread gobies further than they have made it.

riverbob likes this.
  11. riverbob

riverbob Premium Member

Good thinkin, u might b right, n for sure u don't want them little buggers spreading (it t's me off when i catch them when i'm after gills, steel, or eyes) .....talk about gills i think i'll go for about 5 of them, n see if the taste has inproved

12. Smada962

Smada962

Just a heads up using any live minnows outside of the water body they came out of is illegal. If it is a connected body of water where the fish can freely swim back and forth with no dams/obstructions then you are fine, but transporting them to a totally different body is against the law. I wouldn't want to see anybody get a hefty ticket for not knowing better.

Sparky23, rodbender97 and Trout King like this.
  13. docman90

docman90

Thank you for the help and I have read the laws so I try to stay around stream that lead to the grand with no dams in the way.

Smada962 likes this.
  14. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

I would be trying in more slack water areas. Like somebody said drains and Colverts under roads. Muddy water doesn’t bother them

15. zig

zig

Replace the "crystal clear" part with "creamy coffee" and you will have better luck. Or, find a river in southern Michigan that is great for trout right now, and wait about 6 weeks. You'll have plenty of chubs. :mad:

Sparky23, slowpaya and Trout King like this.