Creating facts to distract from truth?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Justsayin, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Justsayin

Justsayin

Sometimes broad statements of partial truth take on a life of their own. Viewed as the gospel because of who may have said it, given greater value because it supports our interests, and transformed into fact simply by repetition. Such is the case with the following claim:

Does are 10 times more likely to be effected by CWD.

I’ve asked others for the research that supports this position. No one responded. I still wanted to understand and finally stumbled upon the research from Daniel Grear used to support this position. I had read these prior but did not associate with these claims. Links below. Both documents are pretty technical reads. The research aims to evaluate the incidence of CWD in females considering genetic relatedness and spatial distribution. A few of my takeaways are as follows:
    • The purpose of the research was not to compare male vs female infection rates, though the papers did note a higher prevalence in males among the samples evaluated in this study.
    • The research focused on the dynamics among females that could be contributing to CWD including; within and between matriarchal groups, genetic relatedness, patterns of movement, social behaviors, etc.
    • The primary conclusions show statistical probability of a related female becoming infected goes up when a closely related female within its’ matriarchal group is CWD positive. CWD appears to be less likely to be transmitted between matriarchal groups.
    • Further study was recommended to understand if limiting size of matriarchal groups, reducing territory overlap, etc. can help to limit the spread of CWD.
    • The research does not indicate females are generally more likely to be effected by CWD.
    • It does not indicate a need to focus more on females (less on males) as the key to control.
    • It does not indicate older does are the “real issue” in CWD spread & prevalence.
    True yet false. Without context “Does are 10 times more likely to be effected by CWD” is false. It is one example of misrepresented facts created by filtering the truth, removing context, to overgeneralize the meaning in support of a given cause. When we are led to believe these partial truths, we move farther away from the goal of disease containment and/or control.

This research provides one more piece to the CWD puzzle found "Closely related Does are 10 times more likely to be effected by CWD when one member within their matriarchal group becomes infected." Important information which adds to our understanding, it doesn’t replace all the other pieces that we have come to understand.

The fundamental truth remains…

Males have a higher prevalence rate than females. Both are susceptible, males more so.

Directing focus toward the segment of the population less likely to be impacted (females) will be less effective in efforts to limit the spread & prevalence of CWD.

Research attached below.

https://besjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1365-2664.2010.01813.x

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/1f...58.249999918.1561768493-1567295061.1515174641

2. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

That's it I am done shooting does. Thnx for the good read and no bucks under 3.5.

Dish7 likes this.

3. Dale Malusi

Dale Malusi Banned

A-f-f-e-c-t-e-d is the word you want.
    It makes a difference

4. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

Like the water in Bay city?

G20man likes this.
  5. Dale Malusi

Dale Malusi Banned

????