Creating cover

Discussion in 'Wildlife Habitat' started by Joel/AK, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

Ok guys, got a question. We have 80 acres of huntable land. Problem is that it's more of a transitional property. We got them traveling through just nothing to keep them around.

It's thick woods but all high canopy. No cover at ground level. Not alot of sun makes it to the ground so planting makes it a challenge.

Alot of tall oak, maple and cherry, nothing small.

Any ideas?
    Here's an Arial. Thick green in the middle is a swamp, high canopy but usually under 5 ft of water.
    1486253675359.jpg

2. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

Example of ground view

Attached Files:

3. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

I can't post any more pics for some reason to show ground level views

4. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Open up the canopy via timber harvest or hinge cutting.

5. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen

Yup, harvest some timber.

6. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

Harvest is out of the question even though we could make decent money. We all agree about hinge cutting and just knocking down junk wood to let sun in but when it is time to actually work, everybody is " busy". Weird how that works.

jparks02 and jr28schalm like this.
  7. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Can you share why not ? Most everyone is going to suggest a timber harvest 1st and then hinge the junk trees.

L & O

jparks02 likes this.
  8. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen

Why is harvest out of the question? Do you want Deer on the property, or not?

jparks02 and jr28schalm like this.
  9. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

I'm talking family helping out. Last fall we tipped over 3 large trees that we're pushing max out of my 36" saw without walking around and the difference was amazing just in that 1 area with the sunlight that came in. All agree but still no help.

jparks02 and cakebaker like this.
  10. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

I do but it's family property and my dad made it clear, plus it's in writing not to harvest. Hands are tied on that issue, at least right now

jparks02 likes this.
  11. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

I've talked to my dad about harvesting some and he just sees the results ( still see evidence of it today) of when it was harvested about 30 years ago. Times and techniques have changed but......

I don't agree, and it only leaves me very few options. I guess after hunting season I'm gonna have to buy alot of 2 stroke oil and start cutting.

jparks02 and cakebaker like this.
  12. Waif

Waif

With your Dad' s consent....A large hardwood can be girdled . ( A width of bark through all bark layers all the way around the trunk.)
    That will allow sunlight through ,and seasoned wood for a slow/ gradual harvest without knocking yourself out. Leave top of tree at eventual wood cutting time and offset saw costs by selling a small amount of firewood. ( Deliver to right city or suburb and make more).
    A half dozen in the right spot could enlarge an already open canopy.
    Dad will approve of the resulting new growth at the cost of removing part of the canopy ,or he won' t. You will have tried a sample at less change than logging it all.

13. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen

Stopped back to post the same thing. Girdling is the less-work option. Cut 2 lines all the way around the tree, at least a few inches in. Some species take longer than others to die. Might not hurt to refresh your tree ID skills so you don’t pointlessly kill a valuable veneer log.

14. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Would your dad walk the property with the county forester who can explain how a select cut can benefit the woodlot and the wildlife ?

L & O

jr28schalm and Waif like this.
  15. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

I've never heard of girdling til tonight. Been googling it. I'm a rookie at trees which is why I haven't gone crazy with a saw. We have friends and family who know trees and they have walked the property and explained bark and leaves, etc to me. Still learning though.

My old man I think is warming up to the idea of a cut but not quite there yet. He's complaining about how it's always wet and duh, it can't dry out.......

Just one small section of road ( about 40 yards) we had to trench. We put about 25 tons of sand and 20 tons of gravel just to raise it cuz you couldn't drive it without 4wd. I'm almost done, I only need about another 15 ton of gravel to finish. Glad we got our own dump truck. I do think he's coming around to a decent cut.