Crane Ice

Discussion in 'Icefishing Lk. Erie, Detroit River' started by cparsons8, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Slayer 1983

Slayer 1983

Can't wait tell Sunday going to crane creek for the day frist time going comming down with 3 guys with a side by side as of right now trying to get more people to go leaving dearborn hts at 3:30 driving a black f150 with a 16 foot trailer don't be scard to say hi good luck to all and tight lines getting bait before we leave on Saturday so we don't half to stop I half to get a gaff to butt might make one so it's 3 to 4 foot long

2. cparsons8

cparsons8

Are you pulling the trailer out on the water with you? I was planning on pulling an 8 footer out but it makes me nervous even though everyone says it will be fine.

3. Ice Scratcher

Ice Scratcher Banned

I have never used a gaff, even on my two ten pounders... When I got that suckas head in an 8 inch hole I just reach down and put a death clamp down on that bastard with my bare hand!! I have always had a gaff hanging on the wall, just always afraid to use it... With all the adrenaline coursing through me, my marble eye death clamp is pretty fool proof...

Fingers crossed, I never lost one like that yet....

<*)))>{

4. Slayer 1983

Slayer 1983

Just going to have one just in case lol good job on the monster are u going out on Sunday

5. Slayer 1983

Slayer 1983

Not taking the trailer on the ice to big to take that out there to me our 9 foot trailer with ramps broke that y I got to take my buddies buddy trailer if I can't get the smaller 1 fixed in time

6. Ice Scratcher

Ice Scratcher Banned

Maybe Sunday...tomorrow for sure!!

Good luck!!

<*)))>{

7. cparsons8

cparsons8

what are the chances of catching any perch out of crane? I was just wondering because if i happen to get my limit of eyes id like to stick around for the rest of the day and try to get a few jumbos. I would be happy with just a limit of eyes but im trying to optimistic lol

8. jlcrss

jlcrss

If that is ever a jinx I don't know what one is.

9. MISTURN3

MISTURN3

there are some nice perch being caught there now but compared to the walleye they look like gills lol - I know i fish around sister in soft water each year for them.......hell - i was just joking i fished closer to sister on a quad than i have in a boat....freakin unreal

10. cparsons8

cparsons8

Yeah i thought about that after i posted it.... maybe i should delete that post lol

11. cparsons8

cparsons8

Good to know. Sure would be nice to get a few jumbos and a few eyes. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

12. salmonslammer

salmonslammer

I'm bringing a box of perch gear and having a rod ready... Last trip I caught more perch than eyes!

13. cparsons8

cparsons8

Are the perch just mixed in with the eyes? Or where would one go for them? Sorry I have had tons of questions just trying to make the most of the trip. Thank you to all that have chimed in with all of this valuable info!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

14. Falesy

Falesy

We were catching perch, white bass, and catfish mixed in with the eyes last week. Most of the perch were pretty aggressive hitting our larger baits for eyes. After a little bit you got to recognize the habits of each species when they came in on the sonar and you could almost call out what was what before they hit.

I almost thought about moving because I was catching so many other fish and only a few eyes but then I told myself they all gotta be around here for one reason.....bait, and it didn't seem to matter, the eyes came too and I caught some nice ones.

15. salmonslammer

salmonslammer

Only place I've caught perch was out by the island... Had some short eyes mixed in with em. I kept marking fish but only had a few big enough to smack the walleye spoon.