close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Crabgrass Pre-emergent

Discussion in 'Sound Off (MichiganForums.com)' started by Riva, Apr 13, 2018.

1. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

I gave up fighting the neighbors weeds, especially dandylions three years ago and started using True Green. I had a neighbor upwind who let the dandylions go rampant and seed and nothing I could do would keep them off my lawn. True Green did their thing and while it took them a while to get the treatment plan down, I am weed free on the lawn. I've already had my first treatment of 2018 and I'm pretty sure they put crab grass prevention in it.

They cost more than doing it yourself but it's a done deal when you pay them or they have to keep coming back until your lawn is spotless. You'll get an email and text the day before so you can keep your dog inside for the day.

kroppe likes this.
  2. Gamechanger

Gamechanger Premium Member

Nah...I blame 'em on Max and/or Sophie. :p

kroppe and 6Speed like this.

3. kroppe

kroppe

Do it now.

I use whatever the seasonal fertilizer product from Scott’s that is on the shelf at HD. I think the ingredient brand name is “halts” or similar. Has worked for me.

Crabgrass is hard to kill and part of the regimen needs to be manually pulling it out over the years. Not a 30 minute job, for sure.

Other tactics are to allow the “good” grass to outcompete the crab by taking good care through fertilizing, watering and over seeding. Also as Mike mentioned, additives such as minerals and topdressing, are all part of the game.

Don’t overlook the amount of sunlight the lawn receives. Full sun is best for most species. Heavy shade is not good even for “shade mix” seeds. Grass is grass and it needs sun. If you can cut trees or shrubs down to increase sunlight, do it. I have 80 yr old oaks in my front yard and the sun is almost totally blocked after the leaf canopy is filled in, early June. Nothing I can do about it (trees aren’t mine) so I do the best I can with what I have. Back yard is another story - full sun and it looks like a golf course.

Take the long view with lawn maintenance and you will be rewarded.

4. Northernfisher

Northernfisher

Crabgrass is an annual, as such it starts fresh each year:

"They are annual plants, and one plant is capable of producing 150,000 seeds per season. The seeds germinate in the late spring and early summer and outcompete the domesticated lawn grasses, expanding outward in a circle up to 30 cm (12 in) in diameter. In the autumn when the plants die, they leave large voids in the lawn. The voids then become prime areas for the crabgrass seeds to germinate the following season." # 1

The reason it takes so long to get rid of it is that the seeds can lay dormant for years. Read the MSU turf pages. Hit your yard with pre-emergent for a few years, (you might have to do this in the spring and again mid-summer), and let the other grass out compete it.

You can spray during the summer to kill any crabgrass that did manage to seed. Do this for two years and you will be amazed at how little crabgrass you have.

# 1 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digitaria

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018 at 7:13 PM
    newaygogeorge likes this.
  5. yoopertoo

yoopertoo

Those chemicals you dump for arbitrary aesthetic purposes flows into the water system so loved on this site. I never understood.

DecoySlayer likes this.
  6. WALLEYE MIKE

WALLEYE MIKE Staff Member Mods

Farm and Home brand contains:
    dithiopyr Dimension, Meijer Crabgrass, Spectracide Crab Excellent

7. WALLEYE MIKE

Thats why spot spraying is less intrusive

8. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

Not spraying at all is even better. The less "crap" we dump into the environment, all just to grow a crop that we don't eat, so we can burn gas to cut it off, the better. At least in my book it is.

My weeds require FAR less work that a "pretty lawn" does. Less mowing, never needs watered, covers the dirt, perfect.

yoopertoo and vsmorgantown like this.
  9. yoopertoo

yoopertoo

Multiplied by the number of spots in the Great Lakes watershed. Non-point source pollution is a major problem in many watersheds. It's easy to call out Dow. It's much harder to look in the mirror.

10. yoopertoo

yoopertoo

One of the nice things about the UP is that yards aren't for cultivating status. They are where you park stuff. ;)

vans likes this.
  11. WALLEYE MIKE

Yeah we have some redneck yards around.
    Yeah, I know people who vacuum their house once a month if it needs it or not while some do everyday. Personal preference and what one wants to live with. Me, a little clover here or there is no biggy. Will get to it when I get to it. Dandelions are gone immediately.

12. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

You can look at dandelions in a couple of ways. One way is to look at them as weeds. The other ways are to look at them like part of a salad or for making wine.

13. yoopertoo

yoopertoo

Yeah, some people think if they obsess over their sandbox enough the universe is all harmony.

This is where neat people keep their stuff, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pacific_garbage_patch ;)

Outta sight, outta mind

14. Fishndude

Fishndude

When was the last time you actually included Dandelion greens in a salad, or made wine with Dandelions? ;)

15. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

I have never done either. I just said there was more than one way to look at dandelions.

My dad ate a lot of dandelion salad growing up and a couple of years ago I bought some dandelion wine. It was just OK, it will never be my favorite.

None of which changes the fact that not everyone in the world considers dandelions to be a weed.

The US spends BILLIONS of dollars, each and every year, growing a crop they have no other use for then to keep the dirt from blowing away. They burn all kinds of gas to then cut down that crop, and for the most part, throw it away. You gotta admit, that is really kinda goofy, not to mention quite hard on the environment.