close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Crabgrass Pre-emergent

Discussion in 'Sound Off (MichiganForums.com)' started by Riva, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Riva

Riva Sponsor

a lonesome area, other Kansans call "out there".
    I live in Oakland County and want to put down crabgrass preventer. Is it too early or too late? Also, so of that stuff is pricy. Any recommendations on timing and brand?
    Thanks

kroppe likes this.
  2. Fishndude

Fishndude

Put it down before the Forsythia bushes bloom. I pretty much use generic fertilizers, but I go with Scott's product for this - Turf Builder with Haltz. Now is a good time to apply, since it will rain like crazy this weekend. This will prevent grass seed from sprouting, so be careful if you have recently over-seeded some of your lawn.

kroppe likes this.

3. 50-55deg soil temp is required otherwise the preventer will be/become in-effective. I measured my soil temp yesterday in wayne county and it just barely hit 50deg. This winter weather next couple days will not help. i am waiting till thursday of next week.

kroppe likes this.
  4. also preventer does not kill pre-existing/established crabgrass only prevents crabgrass seed from germinating this is why the application timing/soil temp becomes so important.

kroppe likes this.
  5. Northernfisher

Northernfisher

kroppe likes this.
  6. WALLEYE MIKE

WALLEYE MIKE Staff Member Mods

Do it now. Got mine from Farm and Home. 15,000sqft. for $24

kroppe likes this.
  7. Riva

Riva Sponsor

a lonesome area, other Kansans call "out there".
    What is the brand name?

kroppe likes this.
  8. WALLEYE MIKE

Whatever brand is theirs I guess.
    Brand means little unless you want to pay more a certain name. Whats inside is all the same.

kroppe likes this.
  9. jimbo

jimbo

Thought I heard you should do it after the second cutting.

kroppe likes this.
  10. Northernfisher

Northernfisher

That is given on the MSU site I posted:

Common Preemergence Crabgrass Herbicides

Common Name Trade Name Performance
    benefin Balan Good
    benefin+trifluralin Team, Team Pro, ‘Store Brand’ Crabgrass Excellent
    dithiopyr Dimension, Meijer Crabgrass, Spectracide Crab Excellent
    pendimethalin Scott’s Weedgrass, Lesco Pre-M Excellent
    prodiamine Barricade, Vigoro Excellent

But hey do not listen to the Land Grant College with the PhDs that study this stuff.

kroppe likes this.
  11. Sasquatch Lives

Sasquatch Lives

I agree with this. Have had good results putting it out around tax time every year.

kroppe likes this.
  12. Gamechanger

Gamechanger Premium Member

I'll be honest, I haven't had much luck over the last several years battling crabgrass.

But last year, I started drinking a lot more Limoncello, and I'll be darned if the yard doesn't look greener and thicker, and a lot softer on those occasional faceplants. :p

13. JAA

JAA

I would Over-seed, And now is the time! Most people don't realize Grass needs to be be reseeded every couple of years, Any Pro will tell you this. This will keep it Thick and resistant to weeds. Your lawn will be healthy and green all year, And being thick it will naturally keep weeds at bay, I started doing this 7 years ago, And have the Best Looking Lawn on the block, Many don't realize there are now strains that are tolerant to drought and stay green! And even grow slower then the old seed that was common. I {cut only one time per week} I never water at all! Just what falls from the sky. And it stays green all summer, Not Yellow like my neighbors around me in the heat. I use {Combat Extreme Northern} And no I'm not a sales man for them, My first reseed I could see results by fall, The next Spring was even better, I use Milorganite slow release, At the end of May to the first of June, Only one application a year!! by fall it was Great and looked as good as sod! So I over seeded again the next year and have continued this regime ever sense, I use No weed and feed, If I have very few weeds pop up I spot spray only, And that would be very few. And I have a Full Blown wild field at the end of my street. {Pay attention to the link Northernfisher Posted} Keep your grass thick and you won't have these problems. And your maintenance will be cut in Half!!. https://www.outsidepride.com/seed/g...d/combat-extreme-cold-climate-fescue-mix.html. One more thing I have to say, Lawn Fertilizers Like Scotts and Others are such are a scam!! It makes me Laugh!! They are designed to Hit Hard! And green-up Quick You Mow your ass off and then some More!! And then it peters out, So If you want green again you have to Use step 2, Then step 3. It's all nonsense To Make You Buy More Product $$$$$$

kroppe likes this.
  14. WALLEYE MIKE

Horse crap!!!!!
    My lawn has never been reseeded ( or aerated) since it was put in about 1968.
    Original owner didn't really take good care of it but when I moved in in 1989 I took over. Simply a little fertilizer and kept well watered and it has been like a golf course after a couple of years of TLC.
    Right now it gets Milorganite once or sometimes twice per summer and watered when it needs it. (usually once a week sometimes twice if hot and dry) Watering is done deeply. Large zones (sprinkling system) are done for 1.5 hours while spray heads 30-45 minutes. Watering in summer is the key. I do use well water which is much better than sterile city water. For any weed control I simple spot spray when needed.

kroppe likes this.
  15. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

Ha! Those yellow spots just off the deck aren't a concern for you?

jimbo, kroppe and Gamechanger like this.