close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Coyote hunting year round even on state game or rec areas

Discussion in 'Michigan Predator Hunting' started by 270 Hunter, Apr 2, 2018.

1. 270 Hunter

270 Hunter

Seem to be uncertain about the coyote hunting and or trapping season dates. I understand the caliber limits for day and night time hunting on private and public land. My question is can I still hunt coyote with rifle below the rifle line or set traps and snares still on public land day or night all year or now is it only legal to hunt on private land where they are doing damage.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2. doggk9

doggk9

No trapping outside of season. Centerfire rifle rules can be found on the Michigan predator hunters for centerfire at night FB page. Daytime is unrestricted.

3. michiganoutdoorsman

michiganoutdoorsman

I'm pretty sure it's rimfire only at night on public ground and shot size no bigger than 3 buck for shotguns.

4. hunter19301

hunter19301

Michoutdoors, Better read the regs. Rimfire is no longer required at nite. This is statewide however you are limited to a .269 cal or smaller.

upload_2018-4-4_13-45-22.png

upload_2018-4-4_13-42-26.png

5. skinl19

skinl19

There are restrictions on the caliber and type of firearm used at night on state parks and rec areas in total and in any public land in the limited firearms zone. From page 49 of the guide:

Coyote Hunting FAQs
    Can I use a centerfire rifle to hunt coyotes?
    You may use a centerfire rifle to hunt coyotes during regular daytime hunting
    hours statewide. Centerfire rifles or centerfire pistols .269 caliber or smaller MAY
    be used at night.
    Exception:
    Centerfire rifles and centerfire pistols may NOT be
    used in state park or recreation areas statewide, or on any public land in the
    Limited Firearms Deer Zone. For additional firearm restrictions, see pg. 18.

6. hunter19301

hunter19301

Skin, Good point, thanks for the clarification. I don't hunt these areas but it is good to know all the rules and regs.