Corona Virus Influence on the Market

Discussion in 'Money and Business' started by Luv2hunteup, Jan 29, 2020.

1. City_Fish

City_Fish

Adding to my previous thoughts....
    Despite Musk's previous accomplishments (I'm blown away by SpaceX btw), hitching your wagon to a company that has made little progress in battery technology relative to its competitors, and has made so many promises that have yet to be realized is more than just irrational. And getting back to my initial comparison between the dotcom bubble and current state of the market, Tesla is just one example of hyper overvaluation. Then again, the market can be highly irrational at times and woefully not self-aware...but we've seen the outcomes of that before.

Groundsize and motdean like this.
  2. kroppe

kroppe

Dallas Fed manufacturing report was strong. My view is that the report shows activity at, or above, pre-pandemic levels. Add to this the recent strong China manufacturing report and it's fair to say things are not getting worse, from a manufacturing point of view.

3. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

I am in a bit of a quandry here because historically I have been a habitual basher of Tesla. I dont invest in them because i dont believe in the value of their product as a car. I do get that they could be a major player in the energy industry one day.

You comment that they have show little progress compared to their competitors with batteries is wrong. Look up the longest driving EV's on the market out of the dozens if vehicle sold today the top 3 longest driving cars are all tesla products. All of their current models are 300-375 mile range while the best of their competition is sitting at 250 miles. Tesla has a 600 mile range vehicle slated for next year while their competition is boasting 300 mile vehicles next year. Rivian is closest with a 400 mile prediction.

4. jacksonmideerhunter

jacksonmideerhunter

I dont think this market can be compared to the dot com bubble. The companies being driven up-in price then were basically just ideas, with no revenue yet, let alone profits, and the internet was just getting started at that time. Yes, a few became wildly successful, but the vast majority failed within a year or two.
    Now compare that to the companies being driven up now, and they are some of the best and most profitable companies ever created, with huge growth to-boot. Sure, some may be getting overvalued, but I foresee that being cured by pullbacks like the one that just happened, not a crash like back then.

kroppe likes this.
  5. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

We just need another Go Daddy girl.

kingfisher 11 likes this.
  6. Groundsize

Groundsize

This quarter report coming up should be excellent. 30-40% increase in deliveries over the year. Musk guaranteed a 25k all electric vehicle within 3 years also. Musk also says tesla will soon be creating 10% of its own batteries with in the year.

7. City_Fish

City_Fish

He made the same claim....almost 3 years ago. LOL

8. City_Fish

City_Fish

The same underlying issue that existed then exists now which is absurdly and irrationally overvalued technology companies, although it's manifested itself in a different manner. While there are some that will realize their potential, there are many others that won't even come close and when that reality sets in, they will drag down the rest of the sector in a way that dwarfs normal market corrections. It's just a matter of when.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  9. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

Which companies are you referreing to? Look at the 30 biggest companies driving the nasdaq these days. Microsoft, apple amazon, paypal, intuit, intuitive surgical. I could list them all but all of them are huge profit makers. Companies like tsla arent on the nasdaq index.

Groundsize and kroppe like this.
  10. kroppe

kroppe

Is anyone keeping an eye on this? Seems like a strong upward movement in new home sales. New as I understand it means newly constructed (built).

[​IMG]

sureshot006 likes this.
  11. sureshot006

Well yeah. Inventory sucks and is expensive!

kroppe likes this.
  12. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

Inventory on building materials? You haven't tried to buy any lately as the problem seems to be lack of inventory.

kingfisher 11 and sureshot006 like this.
  13. sureshot006

Nah I meant inventory of used homes. Been quite low for a while now, even before 2020. But yeah materials are more $ and harder to get as well.

kroppe and FREEPOP like this.
  14. City_Fish

City_Fish

SHOP, DKNG, SQ, WDAY, CRWD just to name a few. The techs are currently oversold and highly speculative so for me there is enough reason to believe that a major correction is on the horizon. The exact same conditions that existed during the dotcom bubble do not have to exist for that to happen again.

15. motdean

motdean

What is the timeframe that you expect to see a correction.

My buys are in and I am not making any major moves, so you don't need to fear me doing anything drastic with your feedback....just curious as to what you think.

Will it be a revisit of Mr. Covid, Presidential election outcome, a slowing economy (layoffs)...?