close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cordless drill augers

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by dirtyfisheyes187, Oct 14, 2017.

1. dirtyfisheyes187

dirtyfisheyes187

I’m interested in buying a new auger setup for my cordless drill. What’s everyone’s thoughts on what to buy or not to buy.

2. Mr. Botek

Mr. Botek

I see a lot of folks mention using a Milwaukee cordless.
    I personally use a Makita cordless on a Clam Plate & Strikemaster 5" auger.

Firefighter and Thirty pointer like this.

3. msfcarp

msfcarp

Oooh, can’t wait to answer this! Milwaukee 18v fuel hammer drill/driver, model 2706-20, an astounding 1,200 inch pounds of peak torque. I would pair that with a K-drill auger, though I am running an 8” mora. I would get the K drill because the blades would be easier to sharpen your self.

I will never get rid of my Jiffy but gas augers are a thing of the past, IMO.

4. Jimbos

Jimbos

8 weeks a year in Petoskey, 44 in Livonia
    Fuel 2704-22,,,,the "22" signifies two batteries in the package.

friZZleFry419 likes this.
  5. Jimbo 09

Jimbo 09

I use mine with a 6" Eskimo and 6" laser. The Eskimo actually cuts better because the blades aren't as aggressive p

6. y2ba

y2ba

I've been using a cheap Dewalt hammer drill and Nicad batteries on my clam plate for a few years now. I only use a 5" lazer on it, and it's strictly for Perch fishing. This year I bought a new Dewalt Hammer drill/impact/Circ saw set that's runs on 20volt/60v max 9ah batteries. I'm pretty excited to throw the Hammer drill on the Clam plate and upgrade the auger size...and see what happens. Personally, if I didn't need tools for work, and I wanted to drill 8" holes...I'd just buy an Ion or Strike master electric. For what you're spending on a decent set up to turn a bigger auger, I'd say the price is a wash, and I'd buy the real deal. Jmo.

7. Sling

Sling

don't forget a 5 ah battery

Jimbos likes this.
  8. homebrew87

homebrew87

I am using a Makita 18 volt brushless drill with 4 ah batteries on an old 6 inch Mora auger and was getting about 60-75 holes per battery if I remember right. Tried it on a 8 inch laser and it worked fine as well.

rockandtroll likes this.
  9. North Country Squire

North Country Squire

Buy the new nils auger with the built-in drill attachment. Nils drill super fast with no downward pressure required so you may never need the drill. I bought a demo Eskimo 33cc auger head for my 8" Nils and it rips through ice better than anything I've seen. I use a 6" nils for early season and hike-in trips.

10. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Staff Member Mods

Milwaukee fuel is the drill to use. I did a lot of reading before getting mine. The red lithium does not drop charge in the cold.

I paired mine with a 6" nils convertible(orange auger, comes with hand crank attachment). I have a 3 & 5 amp battery. I'm going to get another 5 amp since my 3 took a crap. I drill at least 60 holes a day and there hasn't been too many times I've had to swap batteries on the ice. The best way to out it I sold my gas auger and have not regretted it for a second.

Lazer augers work great too.

11. rockandtroll

rockandtroll

18v Makita hammer drill and 4 ah battery paired with a 5 in. Lazer auger here also. Perfect for panfish. For tip ups, I drill 3 holes in a tight triangle and quickly spud out the remains for a nice size pike hole.

Mr. Botek likes this.
  12. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

Gen5 ridgid hammer paired with 4ah batts. Paired with clam plate and a 4.5" strike master. I drilled TONS of holes last year with no problems. Went with ridgid due to lifetime warranty on EVERYTHING.

Firefighter likes this.
  13. leadbelly

leadbelly

I use the Milwaukee M12 fuel half inch hammer drill. 350 foot pounds of torque. Not to be confused with inch pounds. It will snap you're wrist If not careful. Paired with a 6in lazer. Not sure how many holes it will drill because i only have to drill a few holes before I start harvesting fish. Remember guys it's not about necessity. It's all about looking like the cool guy with all the toys these days. Lol

Drake likes this.
  14. Jimbos

Jimbos

8 weeks a year in Petoskey, 44 in Livonia
    Milwaukee Fuel 2704-22 1200 ft lbs of torque.
    2-5ah batteries and about $150 on eBay if you shop hard.

15. msfcarp

msfcarp

I think you should re-read your specification sheet on your drill.