Cool Find Deep In The U P Deer Woods

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Tommy O, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Tommy O

Tommy O

A similar thread on here inspired me to post this. Several years ago my brother-in-law and I were pretty deep in the woods scouting an area of wet marsh pocketed with many small ridges and islands in the Central U P. Not the easiest area to get to, but not crazy, crazy deep. Climbing out of the marsh onto one of the small ridges we found this bolted to a tree, along with what appeared to be the head of an ax buried in the tree, the handle long since rotted away. We thought we were in the middle of nowhere.

"Friends since 1923"..."Friendship, morality, love" probably the coolest thing Ive ever come across in the deer woods. I briefly thought about pulling it down to attempt to locate family members, but the area now had a special feel to it, and I thought they put it here for a reason, it should stay here. So I snapped a picture instead. It summarized all that deer hunting meant to me as youngster growing up, and what it still means today.

It was found east of 94 between Shingleton and Manistique in the Steuben area. If anyone has knowledge of these gents or how this came to be on a small ridge out in the middle of a marshy swamp please share, I'd love to know their story! IMG_1464.JPG

2. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

3. Flight of the arrow

Flight of the arrow Premium Member

Wow, that sure is cool,
    Flight

4. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

South side of the Seney refuge?
    It probably was the site of their camp.
    Lots of registered camps in that area.

It sounds like you were within a couple miles of our camp.

TriggerDiscipline likes this.
  5. micooner

micooner

Very cool and good for you leaving it alone.

6. Macjim

Macjim

awesome find. I once found an oil lamp about a mile in and forgot to take it. Saw it a second time a couple years later forgot it again. Next summer went there just to get it and found the area had been logged and dozed. Unbelievable but the lamp was pushed against a tree and still not broken

7. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

Looking at the dates, it kind of has a WWl fraternity/solidarity/friendship ring to it.
    I'm glad you posted this.

Goinpostal83 likes this.
  8. John Hine

John Hine

So cool! Would love to know the story!

vsmorgantown and Doghouse 5 like this.
  9. Waiting for your next post to say it was still lit. Haha

10. Stubee

Stubee

That is really cool. I’ve found quite a few things back in the woods including remnants of old homesteads and such but rarely took a picture. I found this at my NELP camp that’s been running since 1926. Nobody knows where it came from but there are all kinds of things scattered about as previous generations of hunters used about everything as a blind, including old car bodies. I probably should have brought it in but it’s still out there somewhere. 930CAE6D-9B3E-4855-9A1E-FCC60E34886D.jpeg

kozbones, DM90, 1morebite and 14 others like this.
  11. Badfishmi

Badfishmi

6B51F457-2B91-4B42-82C6-487D283007DF.jpeg This is not old but I smiled when I read it and enjoyed the rest of my scout

12. old graybeard

old graybeard

Very cool. I left this on the west end of the UP close to the Porkies. I return to the spot every year (except this year) to sit and have a beer or two to honor my best friend. Somethings are meant to be left in place. Very glad you chose to do just that.
    third.jpg

13. Tommy O

Tommy O

That is very cool OGB! Yes, I'm glad that it still sits on that hill

old graybeard likes this.
  14. Tron322

Tron322

Very cool, I've only found old homesteads, many just foundations now. And a few old junk piles that are neat to go thru and see old stuff.

Never found any neat plaques, hopefully if the area is ever logged the forester surveying the site will mark that tree to be left alone and a skidder doesn't run into it

Stubee likes this.
  15. He died way too young OGB. It’s pretty cool but sorry to see that. Sucks when you lose a great friend or family member too young.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk