Cooks Runs

Discussion in 'Upper Peninsula Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by Ray Adams, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Ray Adams

Ray Adams

Hey Guys,

I’m doing a little research on Cooks Run and wondered if anyone has any insight regarding the history... Any know why they call it Cooks Run?

Thanks,

Ray

2. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

Nope , lived near it, fished it and hunted near it. Never gave it a thought.

3. Teggs

Teggs

The guy who discovered it over 100 years ago named the river system after his hobbies. You got the Net, Paint, and Cook.

troutguy26 likes this.
  4. Ray Adams

Ray Adams

Know who that was?

5. Teggs

Teggs

I am just messing around. I have a camp there but I dont know why its nammed cooks run.

Superior Outfitter likes this.
  6. zig

zig

I've been there many times. Not much to say about it. I can say it's a very stagnant, warm river, especially for the UP. I was pretty disappointed when I saw it for the first time. Lots of creek chubs, with the occasional small mouth and northern. Maybe a brown here and there at the start of the season, but few and far between. But not long into the season you can't even seem to present anything before the chubs snag it. As for the history, don't know much about the history.

7. Ray Adams

Ray Adams

Hahahaha. Ok.

8. Ray Adams

Ray Adams

Alright. Thanks.

9. troutguy26

troutguy26

Ive spent alot of time on the run but dont know why its named that. Wish my gramps was still around He might know, or if granny didnt have dementia. My family originates from that area dating back to the 1800s. Beautiful area especially the meadows...

stickbow shooter likes this.
  10. WILDCATWICK

WILDCATWICK

Ive fished Cooks Run hundreds of times in many different sections of it. My experiences have been completely opposite of Zigs. Have you contacted the hatchery? They may have some answers for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Forest Meister and troutguy26 like this.
  11. hawgeye

hawgeye

I need to get up there! I fished the paint and cooks run with my Grandpa, RIP, My favorite was Golden Creek, we pulled some nice trout out of the tiny Creek. I will ask my uncle about the name next time I'm up there.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

troutguy26 likes this.
  12. troutguy26

troutguy26

I'll be there in Sept for those beautiful colored fish. Can't wait...

hawgeye likes this.
  13. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen

You could probably spend a lifetime fishing the trout waters of the western U.P. and never get bored. There is a wide variety of terrain conditions to fish.

It seems like when we talk about trout on here, there are pessimists and optimists. I am decidedly an optimist, because of what we have here in Michigan, especially out in the west end. The best thing for MI trout would be more trout fishermen. If you think trout need special help to survive, that help will only come from fishermen.

The west U.P. sits with bedrock right up to the surface. Some of the oldest exposed surface rock in the world, it is said. Some places, now that the forests are all now nicely stabilized and professionally managed, it feels like erosion might even roll backwards (deposition), though it doesn't. Always seems to me like the occasional patch of acidic forest cover type is perfectly balanced by all the rock everywhere. Unlike some other rocky trout areas I have fished, where the forest cover is predominantly "sweet" (Northern Hardwoods).

So you often fish by standing directly on the crust of Planet Earth.But because of that, there can be some shallow flat stretches, possibly even still missing their fringe of Alder, or are quite widened while passing over a pocket of flat rock topography. These are ideal for fly fishing, but at points can just not have any pool of any kind deep enough to hold a trout. And of course the given streams warm up some running through these -- but not too much, as downstream of any such stretch in the west U.P. there will usually be plenty of trout where holes appear once again. Even the flats can occasionally be channelized down some by all the rock that they deepen enough for our favorite fish.

I can also guarantee that within about 5 miles of any bad luck stretch of water there is a totally different stretch of water with loads of trout. And there are many types to water to pick from - anything from Alder jungles to trout lakes.

The namesake for this thread has been only so-so for me, though not fish-less by any means. A big TU project on it some ten? years ago makes it basically well-known (also a former "Blue Ribbon" stretch) and fished from a convenient access. There are still several pieces of it for me to explore.

14. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

One of my friends fly fishes all the stream and rivers near the Iron River area. The guy has unreal amount of knowledge on those rivers. He keeps a fish log and it's Chuck full of info. He probably could write a book on that area but doesn't like crowds.

hawgeye and troutguy26 like this.
  15. Jmohunts

Jmohunts

Most people are like this, lol[​IMG]

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk