close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cooked meats ?

Discussion in 'Crayfish Trapping' started by BJ37, Jan 27, 2018.

1. BJ37

BJ37

A lot of comments on all sorts of bait. I have found nothing on cooked meat. Any experience using left-over chicken carcass, meat bones, fish bones, etc. Thoughts ?

2. junkman

junkman

Some people use hotdogs for bait.Those are precooked if you classify them as meat.

Far Beyond Driven likes this.

3. BJ37

BJ37

Thanks, junkman Around a good outdoor fire, hotdogs are not all bad ! !
    Along this same line of thoughts: Just cooked up a pan of bacon. How about saving all that lard and using it in the trap. Anyone try that ?

4. junkman

junkman

Never tried the rendered fat from bacon.But I guess anything that smells good to them would work. Maybe like coat a sponge in the grease.I like to save the fat and use it for cooking other things in.

5. nick 74

nick 74

We used leftover bones from chicken wings at Buffalo Wild Wings.... worked great! they had those bones picked clean. Although the waitress thought we were odd for taking all our bones in a to go box. lol

Waif likes this.
  6. BJ37

BJ37

Ya I know it’s too early yet, but dreaming of when the water will warm and the CD will get active again. I’m hungry. - - - - Baits – A couple days ago something (Otter ? ? ) left me a present. Laying on the dock was the head of a nice size catfish. It is over 5 ½ inches wide. Soo, the question is: will this work for baiting a crawdad trap? Will it attract them, because its fish meat, or will it chase them away because of the type of fish? Catfish are a natural enemy, so will they associate the smell with an enemy, and run the other way, or will it just be fish meat calling them?

7. junkman

junkman

When ever small catfish get in my traps the crayfish leave them alone.I have no idea why.Any other fish that gets in there with them is dead meat.

8. BJ37

BJ37

Very interesting
    Thanks for all your comments

9. nick 74

nick 74

I do remember reading that predatory fish don't make good bait because they are frightened by the smell. But I can't say one way or another. I suppose two traps one with gills and one with bass or pike in it may be a good experiment this summer.

10. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

I used to score ham bones from a local deli

They were 3 deep trying to get to the scraps. Below Mio... decades ago

11. junkman

junkman

I have used pike fillets for bait.An overnight soak yielded 147 crayfish in one trap.

12. nick 74

nick 74

Ha answers that! I doubted they were afraid since I've seen pictures with them all over dead salmon .

13. junkman

junkman

The only fish I have noticed that they leave alone are the bullheads that get in the traps with them.

14. Waif

Waif Premium Member

Wonder if I could convince my girlfriend that going to Hooters for wings would just be a bait run?

nick 74, junkman and jeffm like this.
  15. nick 74

nick 74

Absolutely! Hooters is a wholesome family restaurant. Just remember to get spicy Cajun wings the crawdads like them best!