Confused??

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by shrubmasters@gmail.com, Feb 12, 2018.

1. shrubmasters@gmail.com

shrubmasters@gmail.com

Question for my fellow MS waterfowlers. If the state wants to reduce the number of local geese then why only three per day and such a short season??? Goose numbers increase every year but nothing seems to be done about it. Please help me to understand!! Shrubby

2. AaronJohn

AaronJohn

Local geese are taken care of during early season, before migration for the most part at 5 per day.

Geese have the longest season in Michigan in regards to fowl. Like anything numbers will fluctuate.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018

3. TheHighLIfe

TheHighLIfe

such a short season??? you must be very young. and not very informed

a record 107 days in 2018 - absolutely incredible.

when i was younger, but not that long ago (80s), the limit was 1, and geese were open for only two days during duck season, opening weekend. and then 2 birds for a few weeks in november.
    we jumped for joy when they let us shoot 1 for most of the duck season, but not all of it.
    then it went to 2 during duck season and we were pinching ourselves to make sure we weren't dreaming.
    now 3??? thirty years ago we would have bet automobiles that fly were more likely than three a day

goose season increases and bag limit increases today represent the most liberal expansion of any game or fish in the lifetime of not just me, but my father. (except for snow geese, which we do not really have).

2018 - 30 days @ 5, 77 days @ 3. CWAC last year traded the reduction from 5 to 3 during the late season in order to get more days during the season

which leads me to ask how many times this year you suffered because you had to leave the hunt because everyone in your party had their 3 and you still had em landing in your decoys
    if this happened every time and you want to see more harvested, give me a call - i will bring the sandwiches and beer - :)

4. jwinks

jwinks

The reg season is limited by the mortality goals for migratory populations of Canada geese, which do not have strong numbers. That’s why the limit is higher for early and late season.

dead short likes this.
  5. shrubmasters@gmail.com

shrubmasters@gmail.com

Sorry. Should have been more clear. I’m referring to late season only. You say the CWAC traded the reduction from 5 to 3 to get more days during the season. Which season are you referring to? Regular or late? Not sure if you live or play around geese. Extremely dirty and adaptable birds. I’m just saying that I think the state could do more to reduce them. There’s a good reason other states don’t want them anymore!!! I truly believe that goose season could be open from September 1st to April 1st and you would never see any difference in their numbers. Too many safe havens. If I ever have hunting that good I WILL call you bc I love sandwiches and beer!!! Shrubby

6. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

I remember a day when even seeing a Canada Goose around this area would have made the news for a week.

7. TheHighLIfe

TheHighLIfe

agree. when i was about 12, dad's hunting partners saw a flock of giant canadas out over the lake (fox lk wi) and told me to watch them, as they might be the last i ever saw. there were about 3,500 bredding pairs in north america at the time, if i recall. i did watch them til they vanished, as they said they might become extinct. then they learned how to eat grass.

same thing was told to me as everyone in the parking lot near cairo, il gathered to see a drake wood duck a guy shot. then groups put up wood duck boxes

what a difference a generation makes! :)

8. AaronJohn

AaronJohn

Is OP@gmail a waterfowler? Sometimes Late season is a lot of birds migrating north, it's conservation.

They are cool birds sorry you don't like when they shat on your yard

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

9. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

The first wood duck I ever saw, and shot, was in 1970, on Ft. Devens, MA. I was hunting on base when I was stationed there. A flight of 6 came in from the left of the blind. I almost forgot to shoot I was so surprised to see them. Up until then I had only seen pictures of them.

AaronJohn likes this.
  10. TheHighLIfe

TheHighLIfe

hey shrubby

lmk - i will throw in some pizzas, too! haha

i cannot find the email about the trade. but pretty sure it was for more days in the early season and possibly the regular season

yes, i live and play around geese. there are 40-50 on my lawn all spring and summer, and on my golf course. great natural fertilizer that does not pollute the water with chemicals.

i have stepped in dog poop about 3 times for every time i have stepped in goose poop - but i have never shot a dog!

good idea to hunt them until april 1st. i will pass that on. i will never have enough in my freezer - third best table fare behing grouse and dove - yummy!
    but as long as office complexes, golf courses and subdivisions build ponds and lawns, and as long as animal lovers keep feeding them as if they were pets, the geese will just fill them up
    fortunately, my country club allows me to strap my 12 guage next to my golf bag - haha

11. Highball28

Highball28

GHG could make a killing off of female goose sitting on eggs full body deeks for the April season. We could call em in like turkeys or jump shoot the females off their nests!

12. deadduck365

deadduck365

Mojo would have it first. Shoot scoot goose!

Jdhunttrapfish and Highball28 like this.
  13. craigrh13

craigrh13

At the CWaC meeting they discussed potentially having more liberal seasons in the near future for geese as the population is way above their target. Something along the lines of 5/day for 107 days as an example. An August season was brought up but they said there doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of interest for an August season.

14. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

Another fine example of real conservation work. Ranks right up there with the come back of the wood duck. Too many geese is a much better problem than losing the species.

Now, if we could just put as much, or more, effort into getting rid of mute swans.

15. stacemo

stacemo

The big change I noticed is that we went from 15 days in sept to all of sept at 5 per day. I won't complain but I do prefer to shoot fat laden late season geese any day!