close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Common Merganser Control Permits?

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by John Singer, Jan 9, 2018.

1. John Singer

John Singer

2. JUSTCATCHINUM

JUSTCATCHINUM

If you click on the box you mentioned it opens up a document that explains it.

3. John Singer

John Singer

Thank you. I did not notice that hyperlink.

4. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

5. Aaronjeep2

Aaronjeep2

6. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

There's a joke about putting a merg on a fish finder in that picture somewhere...

JimiVoutofdoors and Lamarsh like this.
  7. Aaronjeep2

Aaronjeep2

It's a old junk hummingmerg I mean hummingbird.

8. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

THEY'RE DECIMATING THE GRUB WORM POPULATION!!!

duckaddict and dpweurding like this.
  9. Fowl Play

Fowl Play

Interesting hyper link. I skimmed over it. Swimmers itch?!?! Lol. So when you shoot a common, not only did you save some fish you saved some poor soul from swimmers itch.

10. dpweurding

dpweurding

Have you ever been bitten by a merg?! That alone is reason to kill em all...

Aaronjeep2 likes this.
  11. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Lol swimmers itch.... I heard mutes and cormorants are also a huge contributor to swimmers itch. Warm, stagnant water terd fests.

12. Fowl Play

Fowl Play

If geese turds are like plugs from a lawn aeration machine, can’t image a mute swan. Must be like Lincoln logs. Cormorants, stuff is lethal as it kills everything around where they roost.

Lamarsh likes this.
  13. pepperspop

pepperspop

14. pepperspop

pepperspop

I originally posted the following to another thread on January 9.

The attached report was one of several documents submitted by the writer to the DNR's governing body, the Natural Resources Council (NRC), at their January 11, 2018 meeting.

The related "Common Merganser Control Permit and Regulations - Wildlife Conservation Order Amendment No. 1 of 2018" is currently scheduled for action at the NRC's February 8, 2018 meeting.

A 79 page file titled Timeline - Nest Box References, containing detailed supporting documentation, which accompanied the submission, is available on Dropbox by accessing this link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ei7m7p9sh30edxi/Appendix - Nest Box References.docx?dl=0

Comments may be directed to the NRC at NRC@michigan.gov

Dick Weadock
    Higgins Lake/Florida
    rweadock@frontier.com

Attached Files:

15. swampbuck

swampbuck

Well, I don't know Mr. Weadock but I live at Higgins Lake and know the issue well.

First of all S.I. affects several clear water lakes in Northern Michigan, the same lakes that are the most popular tourist destinations. It has a huge impact on tourism and local economies.

So here at Higgins lake, we had a problem, and there was no solution. So the 2 townships on the lake went looking for ideas. Each township accepted a different proposal.

S.I seen a 98% reduction in 2 years. Of course one company came out on top, and one lost.(this one) the winner was lethal control and harassment. The loser was humane relocation...for a lot more money. ( This is a USFW issue, not the DNR).

This is the losers hissy fit. For more info, do a Google search for Higgins lake swimmers itch.

This battle is far from over. The is a LOT of money on this lake. And losing is not acceptable to either. Just the way things are here.

We are not really talking about enough ducks to affect your hunting. And other species are not involved.

The organism involved is passed between Common Mergansers and the white snail. That is the life cycle. Back and forth. It burrows into human skin when it is in the water between host's and causes an infection similar to poison Ivy.

There are no other species involved or targeted.

Sent from my XT1254 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018